how do you get motivated? I need tips.

BigStewMan

I’m in a funk and i want to get out of it. 

Just moved to a place that i’ve never lived and don’t know a soul (except for my brother that made the adventure with me).  

He’s back to work and meeting people and he was always a mountain guy moreso than i am.

I’m doing absolutely nothing. 

I have a venture that i should be working on; but, i’m not. 

I have nearly a dozen guitars that aren’t being played. 

I’m not opposed to working again; but, I don’t have to work to survive. 

This move put me in a rut. 

When you can live comfortably without working--motivation to do stuff has to come from somewhere else. 

I will admit that quite a few times, I’ve felt homesick. I’m fine when my brother has the day off and we go off exploring and i’ve done some exploring on my own too. But, when i see the city of Los Angeles or the Beaches or the OC on television, and i know exactly where things are and, i will admit, there is lot more available to do there than here, it is putting me in a bit of a funk.

Anyone ever been in a similar situation? If so, how did you get out of it?

On 7/11/2017 at 7:02 PM, dirtmudd said:

all Steve needs to do is break out ..his pignose and guitar..at a local coffee shop ....he would be a tree in the forest.  and the social butterflies

would land on him...

monarchs-trees.jpg.662x0_q70_crop-scale.jpgIMG_1936.jpg

35 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I’m in a funk and i want to get out of it. 

Just moved to a place that i’ve never lived and don’t know a soul (except for my brother that made the adventure with me).  

He’s back to work and meeting people and he was always a mountain guy moreso than i am.

I’m doing absolutely nothing. 

I have a venture that i should be working on; but, i’m not. 

I have nearly a dozen guitars that aren’t being played. 

I’m not opposed to working again; but, I don’t have to work to survive. 

This move put me in a rut. 

When you can live comfortably without working--motivation to do stuff has to come from somewhere else. 

I will admit that quite a few times, I’ve felt homesick. I’m fine when my brother has the day off and we go off exploring and i’ve done some exploring on my own too. But, when i see the city of Los Angeles or the Beaches or the OC on television, and i know exactly where things are and, i will admit, there is lot more available to do there than here, it is putting me in a bit of a funk.

Anyone ever been in a similar situation? If so, how did you get out of it?

19 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Steve, what do you like to do?  Why aren't you playing your guitars?

Why did you move to that particular area?  What drew you?

i thought we discus this last week...

11 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Steve, what do you like to do?  Why aren't you playing your guitars?

Why did you move to that particular area?  What drew you?

Steve, what do you like to do?  Most everything if i’m with friends. Alone I’m a different animal. I used to write.  In fact have a few unfinished writing projects. About four years ago, i lost the motivation to write. I enjoy it when it’s happening; but, anymore, i sit at the computer and read what i’ve written thus far (which is good stuff, don’t get me wrong) but, then I close the document. Tried to get back to writing so I wrote several one-page, activistivism-related essays; but, just filed them away. 

Why aren't you playing your guitars? It’s just that twilight zone funk--as if this existence in this place isn’t my life. So many times, i’ve felt like vacation was over, now go home. I grab a guitar and within minutes, i’m putting it away. Still love them, still want to play, still want to finish unfinished songs; but, it’s just not happening. This is where i live and i should be able to do all those old things from right here--why can’t i? Maybe it’s just a case of homesickness?

Why did you move to that particular area?  What drew you? I saw it on television and thought “that would be a place to go.”  Did you ever see the movie Yes Man?  There is a scene where Jim Carrey and Zooey go into an airport and ask for a ticket on the next departing flight--they don’t care where it’s going.  That’s me. I’m impulsive and spur of the moment stuff is generally more fun.  Just not embracing this change. Have moved before; but, always had a job to do when i got there--so i always knew i had a purpose. 

20 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Necessity is the mofo of motivation.  When you feel the need, you will find it.

i hope so. Or i may go back to the bottle ... of OldTimers Hot Sauce that is.

18 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Aren't there mountains by? Go exploring, hiking, just visit nature. 

Yes and that’s what i’ve been doing the first six weeks. But, you can only look at trees and water so much and then it all seems like the same place.

5 minutes ago, JBCODD said:

I use caffeine. Three 12 oz mugs O' fresh ground mud at de crack of noon gets me going. Or at 3PM if I'm going to work.

i’m reduced to decaf.  Developed a heart rhythm issue and doctor said caffeine can trigger it, so i stopped caffiene intake. 

It just dawned on me, that i’ve always had an “end game plan.” I don’t have one anymore, so I feel like i’m in exile. 

plus this wouldn’t be the first time that i talked my brother into taking a risk and making a move--then after that i’m working on my next one....

This is the end, beautiful friend
This is the end, my only friend, the end
Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
I'll never look into your eyes, again

Can you picture what will be, so limitless and free
Desperately in need, of some, stranger's hand
In a, desperate land

Lost in a Roman wilderness of pain
And all the children are insane, all the children are insane
Waiting for the summer rain, yeah
There's danger on the edge of town
Ride the King's highway, baby
Weird scenes inside the gold mine
Ride the highway west, baby
Ride the snake, ride the snake
To the lake, the ancient lake, baby
The snake is long, seven miles

Ride the snake, he's old, and his skin is cold
The west is the best, the west is the best
Get here, and we'll do the rest
The blue bus is callin' us, the blue bus is callin' us
Driver, where you taken us

• Like 1

Steve, if you don't mind my advice.....take care of your physical self first, and your mind will follow....Do you exercise?  Do you need to lose some weight?  Are you sleeping OK?  These are just a few things that can really help with your attitude and ability to motivate yourself.

Is there a music store in town?  A bar or club where they have jam sessions?  Try to connect with folks with the same interests.  JMHO

• Like 12