WTB Multi-Channel Power Amplifier

fuzzydog

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sherbourn-5-5210a-5-Channel-Power-Amplifier-True-Monoblock-Design-/232399854758?hash=item361c1c5ca6:g:D90AAOSwZ4dZH5nK

This power house Sherbourn amp is listed on Ebay right now but the seller is a regular in the Emotiva forum and has sold many things. I am sure you could negotiate the price down outside of Ebay. pretty sure it puts out 5 x 200 watts. Also it is bridgeable to a 400 wpc beast to power your mains if you ever care to change things up. I found this on the web:

This Sherbourn audiophile-grade 5-channel bridgeable mono block power amplifier. Weighing 79 lbs exactly, not including the box, packaging material, manual or power cods, it has enough features and components to make anyone who knows power amps at all drool: 40 Discrete output devices and a total of 2.0Kw 5 Individual amplifiers, 200 wpc into 8 ohm, 300wpc into 4 ohms, 0.05% THD from 20-20,000Hz 5 Individual heat sinks, over 500 square inches, convection only - no fans 5 Individual power supplies (5 400VA toroidal transformers) Each mono block has eight top quality bi-polar discrete output devices Each of 5 channels has (QTY 2) 10,000 microfarad capacitors (100,00o uF total capacitance) 5 XLR balanced inputs 5 Gold-plated RCA inputs 2 15-amp power connectors and 2 15-amp power cords (this amp is serious!) 1.3dB Dynamic Headroom Special circuitry to prevent harsh clipping Low-voltage trigger for remote power on, and 3-way music sensing circuit switch Signal to noise ratio of 110dB/wide band, 110dB/A weighted Power band of 5Hz-50KHz Gain = 30dB Weight: 85 lbs total 17.7” W x 18.2” D x 7” H 110v/60Hz or 222v/50Hz

Tim

• Like 1

I have read (and responded to) your other posting concerning AVR vs outboards. I have a generation one XPA-5 that will be going up for sale in the HOPEFULLY near future. I have a mostly McIntosh system but with the Emo XPA-5 on the HT side. Once I get my Mc pre-pro repaired via warranty (or at least into the pipeline) my plan is to replace the XPA-5 with a Mc multi-channel amp. Matching looks you know old boy, pip-pip mate. I have had zero issues with the Emo BUT I did manage to bend one RCA input jack somehow. It works fine but it is bent down slightly. Otherwise this amp is free of dents, scratches, etc. I have the factory boxes.

If the stars align and the warranty issue is worked out on the McIntosh MX-151 (should have sign off by next week and then I have to make a 2.5 hour drive to drop off) and you are still in the market we can chat.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I've owned 4 amps...

Parasound HCA-2205a (220 x 5)

B&K 200.7 (200 x 7)

Sherbourn 7/2011a (200 x 7....7 monoblock amps inside one chasis)

Acurus A200 (200 x 2)

Honestly, I didn't hear any difference between the Parasound and the B&K.  I was able to A/B them directly...they sounded the same to me.

All three were awesome powerhouse amps but one or two of the channels on the Parasound started humming.

The Sherbourn had one issue (can't remember the exact problem) but I had it repaired.

After purchasing the LaScala Trio, I no longer heard any difference between the Onkyo TX-NR5008 and the Sherbourn so I sold it.

I still have the Acurus A200 (200 x 2) in my 2ch setup.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JMON said:

How many channels do you need?  Assume you will be using the speakers listed in your signature under "Atmos Home Theater?"

I would say at least three. Powering the mains and center which makes a lot of sense.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Youthman said:

I've owned 4 amps...

Parasound HCA-2205a (220 x 5)

B&K 200.7 (200 x 7)

Sherbourn 7/2011a (200 x 7....7 monoblock amps inside one chasis)

Acurus A200 (200 x 2)

Honestly, I didn't hear any difference between the Parasound and the B&K.  I was able to A/B them directly...they sounded the same to me.

I'd love to find a good B&K amp, but they don't seem to come up very often.

I have a Classé Audio CAV-75 that might meet your needs.  It is a six-channel amp that puts out 75 wpc.  Each pair of channels are bridgeable to 150 wpc which allows you to configure the amp for 3, 4, 5, or 6 channels.  If you have read any of my posts regarding solid-state amplifiers, you may recall that Classé Audio is one of my very favorite brands and one that I recommend highly if you're looking for solid-state, especially with Klipsch Heritage.

There's just one problem -- I haven't decided if I'm going to sell it yet...

7 hours ago, mustangerfourlife said:

Where are you located? I have a carver 5x200 meter light is out and a few scratches here and there on top from placing recievers on top of it.I am in florida but will be in Salsbury N C this weekend .if that helps any.let me know and i can send some pics of it.

150042912199181056579.jpg

I see a meeting spot at an exit where I-95 and I-26 cross.

Excellent amp.  I owned one for a while and it was one fine piece of gear.

Bill

95 and 26.jpg

12 hours ago, mustangerfourlife said:

Where are you located? I have a carver 5x200 meter light is out and a few scratches here and there on top from placing recievers on top of it.I am in florida but will be in Salsbury N C this weekend .if that helps any.let me know and i can send some pics of it.

Unfortunately I'll be out of town this weekend, but that amp looks like it would fit the bill.  What days will you be traveling through SC?

I have a 6 channel Carver you can try out. You can bridge it to a 360 watt x 3 channel configuration or use it as 135 x 6 channel. I have used it as 135 x 5 and 360 x 1 (for center channel) and like that as well. Try it if you like it buy it. It only has single ended inputs, no xlr.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fuzzydog said:

Unfortunately I'll be out of town this weekend, but that amp looks like it would fit the bill.  What days will you be traveling through SC?

I will be driving thru that way tomorrow around noon give or take and coming back thru sunday dont know a time yet.maybe sooner depends on how far the team goes.Ill pm u my number if you want to talk.