Upgraded Forte compared to new Forte III

cgolf70

It sounds like Roy pulled out the stops for the lll and produced a substantially "upgraded" Forte. Larger passive than either the 1 or 2, newest mid horn mump design and imagine the xovers have been fully optimized for this design. I have no idea as to the new driver compliment but someone will surely chime in with that knowledge. I heard them in the Hope listening room and they sounded damn good for a speaker that size. Both my wife and I felt they were tonally superior to the RF 7ll when played back to back. How much better can it get you ask? I too wondered that when deciding to buy Jubilees with beautiful KHorns already in the corners. The KHorns lasted less than a couple weeks. Things can and do sound better, sometimes in small increments sometimes by leaps. 

• Like 5

I've heard forte II, chorus I, and chorus II speakers. I have not heard the forte I though. This being said, I believe the tractrix horn is a lot better than the original mid-range horns on the forte I and chorus I speakers. When we a+b the chorus I and the chorus II speakers, the biggest thing we noticed was the mid-range. Version 1 mid-range was very in-your-face (maybe shouty), whereas the version 2 was laid back and provided a lot more detail IMO. I have not heard the forte III as of yet, but I can only imagine how much better they are.

The same was noticed when we a+b the chorus I and the forte II speakers against each other. Surprisingly, there was only a little difference that we noticed between the forte II and the chorus II speakers. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 7/18/2017 at 10:41 PM, cgolf70 said:

Yes it can always get better if you have the $$ to spend!!  :P

True, unless you can steal some ? :o

Really it can easily get better, you really need to find some to listen to for yourself, it might take a while but also listen to other speakers, Cornwall's, LaScala's and some of the newer reference speakers, anything model you can. You will know when you hear it............but it can still get better so the more you listen to the better off you are, it's cheaper than jumping through different models to find what you want. 

In the listening room in Hope, I too thought the Forte 3's sounded better than the F7II's.  And I would have to say they gave the Khorns a close race.

My son and I both thought they were very close to the Khorns, and we would be happy with those any day.

I have the Jub's myself, and my son has my old Khorns.

I also have a pair of Forte 2's in my bedroom system, and I have always liked them better than some Cornwalls I used to have, my LaScallas, and they sound close to the Khorns.

The Jub's top them yes, but that's a completely different animal in terms of money and size etc.

All of that to say, is that my Forte 2's are one of my all time favorite speakers, and I have most all Heritage speakers or have had them in the past.

And the next speaker I would be buying at this point will be some pairs of Forte 3's, they are simply that good.

Until then, I do love my Forte 2's and am thrilled with them, and will always keep them around.

• Like 3

On 7/18/2017 at 9:32 PM, richieb said:

It sounds like Roy pulled out the stops for the lll and produced a substantially "upgraded" Forte. Larger passive than either the 1 or 2, newest mid horn mump design and imagine the xovers have been fully optimized for this design. I have no idea as to the new driver compliment but someone will surely chime in with that knowledge. I heard them in the Hope listening room and they sounded damn good for a speaker that size. Both my wife and I felt they were tonally superior to the RF 7ll when played back to back. How much better can it get you ask? I too wondered that when deciding to buy Jubilees with beautiful KHorns already in the corners. The KHorns lasted less than a couple weeks. Things can and do sound better, sometimes in small increments sometimes by leaps. 

The forte 1 and II both have 15" passives as does the III.  The main difference between the II and III is titanium diaphragms in the squawker and tweeter.  As well as the above described "Mumps" on the mid range horn.

I am an original owner of forte II, since 1992.  Several years ago I upgraded my diaphragms to titanium in squawker and tweeter as well as new BC networks.  The upgrade to titanium diaphragms in squawker requires a band pass roll off between squawkers and tweets which is a simple and inexpensive mod.  Do this all for under $500.00 and I am convinced that the difference between the II and III will be negligible at best.

Best regards,

John

18 minutes ago, billybob said:

The fortr'1 has a 12 inch passive.

You are correct.  However the II, has a 15" passive.  The point remains the same however, in that less than a $500.00 upgrade on a pair of II's will essentially give you a forte III.  Unless you think mumps on a horn is worth an extra $3,000.00 plus???

Best regards,

John

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
55 minutes ago, John Chi-town said:

You are correct.  However the II, has a 15" passive.  The point remains the same however, in that less than a $500.00 upgrade on a pair of II's will essentially give you a forte III.  Unless you think mumps on a horn is worth an extra $3,000.00 plus???

Best regards,

John

You really think that that all that was done?  

• Like 3

• Klipsch Employees
1 hour ago, John Chi-town said:

The forte 1 and II both have 15" passives as does the III.  The main difference between the II and III is titanium diaphragms in the squawker and tweeter.  As well as the above described "Mumps" on the mid range horn.

I am an original owner of forte II, since 1992.  Several years ago I upgraded my diaphragms to titanium in squawker and tweeter as well as new BC networks.  The upgrade to titanium diaphragms in squawker requires a band pass roll off between squawkers and tweets which is a simple and inexpensive mod.  Do this all for under $500.00 and I am convinced that the difference between the II and III will be negligible at best.

Best regards,

John

Good for you and your conviction. 

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
5 minutes ago, John Chi-town said:

Easy, Sugar.......

We can all have an opinion without it becoming "personal"......

Lol!  Not personal. I would however like to see your data or listening impressions to conclude that their is just not that much difference. I can show you my data, sweetheart.....I am however glad that it's just your opinion. And I of course have mine :)  

• Like 1