Picked these up today

miketyler

17 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

I'd fixed them up and keep em.  A little work and the black coal can be a diamond.

I plan to refinish the cabinets and possibly get a 3rd and run in LCR. I may also run them as stereo for music. Not sure yet

15 hours ago, babadono said:

In the one picture from the back i see white colored caps on one of the crossovers? Was this stock from the factory back then?

Unsure on that but there is also a blue colored cap at the forward RH corner. What brand caps are the preference?

On 7/19/2017 at 10:12 PM, miketyler said:

........................Was surprised to see the woofer actually fires into the rear of the cabinet. I'm new to the La Scalas and didn't have a clue about this configuration. So they fire into a false wall dead space in the rear of the cabinet? .....................

Not really, the bass horn is split and wraps around the Woofer Chamber, aka dog house.  If you stick your hand inside around the dog house you will feel the sloped pieces that form the expansion of the bass horn, finishing with the roof of the dog house.  Similar to a megaphone (conical horn), a horn just needs to have an ever expanding cross-sectional area.  The rate of expansion defines the "kind" of horn, the length and mouth area determine it's lowest operating frequency.  As I remember, the La Scala bass horn is an exponential (ly expanding area) bass horn with a cut-off of 70 Hz and a small mouth for its 70Hz.  On the floor, in a corner will boost its output down to around 50 Hz.  OTOH, I know of no other horn loaded system that is as small and performs so well. 

Once they become about 30 years old, the capacitors are likely to have moved off spec enough to warrant replacement.