Recommendations for in-wall speakers

fullclipfink

I'm in the process of finishing my basement with a dedicated home theater. Dimensions are roughly 23x15x8, but length is flexible since the back wall will be built with the finishing. 

The builder came back with the initial recommendation for speakers:

PRO-6504-L-THX x3 for L/C/R
R-5650-S II x4 for surrounds
R-2650-C II x4 for Atmos
SW112 x1 for sub

In an effort to timbre match, satisfy my OCD with a matching line and go for top of the line at the outset, I was going to propose the following: 

PRO-6504-L-THX x3 for L/C/R (behind the screen)
PRO-7800-S-THX x4 for surrounds and back surrounds
PRO-7502-S-THX x4 for Atmos
KW-120-THX x1 for sub

I'll have the theater wired for a 2nd sub, but may start with only 1 depending on overall budget. 

My AVR will be the Yamaha A3070. I plan to use an Emotiva A-300 power amp for the mains, and let the A3070 handle the rest of the speakers (both are 150w per channel)

I'm having difficulty finding any reviews for the THX in-walls so I was hoping to get some feedback here. A few questions:

1. The description on the Klipsch site has "Diffuse Tractrix® Horn Array" being the difference between the PRO-7800-S and the PRO-7800-L. I assume this is similar to the difference between direct firing (Ls) and bipole (Ss)? Recommendations for which would be more ideal for surrounds and surround backs?

2. Similar question for the in-ceiling for Atmos...more ideal to use the S version vs. the L version?

My back up plan is to move to the Professional Series Reference Premiere in-walls. However, these are so new I can't seem to find any reviews. Basically, I can just find the announcement.

Overall thoughts? Would it be more ideal to move away from in-walls to standard on-wall speakers? Any suggestions that I have not considered. Thanks in advance.

On 7/18/2017 at 9:45 PM, fullclipfink said:

PRO-6504-L-THX x3 for L/C/R
R-5650-S II x4 for surrounds
R-2650-C II x4 for Atmos
SW112 x1 for sub

In an effort to timbre match...

Yeah that wasn't the smartest move on his part. :)  Also that is a big room to only have one 12.  

1. The description on the Klipsch site has "Diffuse Tractrix® Horn Array" being the difference between the PRO-7800-S and the PRO-7800-L. I assume this is similar to the difference between direct firing (Ls) and bipole (Ss)? Recommendations for which would be more ideal for surrounds and surround backs?

The direct firing ones will work ok but you don't want to have them firing right into your ear.  The diffused version will probably be more friendly to the outside seat unless you have a ton of space.  That's the official THX recommendation for side surrounds anyway.  Rear surrounds are supposed to be direct firing.  you can get away with either sometimes, just depends on the circumstance.  

Overall thoughts? Would it be more ideal to move away from in-walls to standard on-wall speakers? Any suggestions that I have not considered. Thanks in advance.

In-walls are always a compromise.  Given your space and situation I would highly recommend building a false wall and having a higher caliber of speakers behind the screen.  You have the perfect opportunity to do it the right way.  You're just shooting yourself in the foot messing with cheap in-walls.  It will work but man you're going to kick yourself later on.  Even if you only got bookshelves right now, you can upgrade in the future.  You put cheap in-walls in now and call it good, and all you will ever have is cheap in-walls.  The THX you mentioned are about as nice as you can get as far as Klipsch in-walls goes, but still.  

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

In-walls are always a compromise.  Given your space and situation I would highly recommend building a false wall and having a higher caliber of speakers behind the screen.  You have the perfect opportunity to do it the right way.  You're just shooting yourself in the foot messing with cheap in-walls.  It will work but man you're going to kick yourself later on.

1000%

The builder has no clue about audio, apparently. To recommend those for that size room is the bare minimum, you could call it a ht but basic at best and still not cheap, you would not be happy for long.

imo

• Like 1

Due to 'limitations' and moving from 7 Belles in man cave  I went with Martin Logan Stealth Axis in walls (surrounds)  for at bit over $2000. I would pick something else if I were to do it over again; what, I don't know.

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2017 at 7:15 PM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

In-walls are always a compromise.  Given your space and situation I would highly recommend building a false wall and having a higher caliber of speakers behind the screen.  You have the perfect opportunity to do it the right way.  You're just shooting yourself in the foot messing with cheap in-walls.  It will work but man you're going to kick yourself later on.  Even if you only got bookshelves right now, you can upgrade in the future.  You put cheap in-walls in now and call it good, and all you will ever have is cheap in-walls.  The THX you mentioned are about as nice as you can get as far as Klipsch in-walls goes, but still.  

Thanks for the feedback. Which speakers would you recommend using the false wall approach w/ an AT screen? I had been leaning towards the Reference Premiere (with RP-280 for L/R) or the THX Ultra 2s before the installer recommended in-walls. 

On 9/1/2017 at 8:53 AM, fullclipfink said:

Thanks for the feedback. Which speakers would you recommend using the false wall approach w/ an AT screen? I had been leaning towards the Reference Premiere (with RP-280 for L/R) or the THX Ultra 2s before the installer recommended in-walls. 

Something in the pro line if possible.  I like KI-396's.  But, they are way more expensive than RP-280F's.  The good thing is that you can upgrade later if you want with this approach.  I have multiple guys using three RP-280F's behind the screen, it works fine, way better than in-walls or a horizontal center under the screen.