How to fix a bad passive on SW 15 ii

teaman

Hey guys, some of you know I just picked up a sub from the EBTH site a couple of weeks ago. Well I finally got around to testing it. The front woofer is perfect and the cabinet is in great condition. However the rear passive makes a rattling sound. It looks to have three tiny holes in the cone....looks like cat claw marks. Literally they are the size of the tip of a pen each.

Is that causing the rattle or could there be something else at play. It almost sounds like the rattle is coming from the passive speaker basket or something. I could not see any other issues like the cone separating from the surround or anything.

Is it possible to fix the pin holes with paper and glue from the inside of the speaker? I am going to have to pull the passive out to inspect it closer and I am really not in any hurry, I only paid $23 for the sub as it sits. There may be a tiny pin hole in the rubber surround but I won't be able to tell until I pull it out. This sub is heavy as crap and I don't want to keep moving it around. If there is a pin hole in the surround, can I use a thin layer or rubber cement or something similar?

I appreciate any help, thank you in advance!

Tim

Rubber cement to seal the surround if there are holes, and for others, a dab of clear caulk from the inside should suffice.

It is odd that the passive rattles but depending on the sub, there is possibly some portions of a speaker connected to the cone, minus the magnet, that may have worked a little loose.  If you are using the clear caulk (adhesive), you should be able to re-attach any of the parts.  It could also be a wire hitting the passive.

When reinstalling, rotate the driver 180 degrees.

• Like 1

I've found a good product for this is Weldbond. It dries clear and stays flexible. I've repaired surrounds with this and it works great. You can use a tough tissue paper to make a patch, cigarette paper works well. Thin a little bit with multiple coats.

Dennis (djk) gave me the tip a long time ago.

Bruce

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
On July 19, 2017 at 1:30 AM, teaman said:

Hey guys, some of you know I just picked up a sub from the EBTH site a couple of weeks ago. Well I finally got around to testing it. The front woofer is perfect and the cabinet is in great condition. However the rear passive makes a rattling sound. It looks to have three tiny holes in the cone....looks like cat claw marks. Literally they are the size of the tip of a pen each.

Is that causing the rattle or could there be something else at play. It almost sounds like the rattle is coming from the passive speaker basket or something. I could not see any other issues like the cone separating from the surround or anything.

Is it possible to fix the pin holes with paper and glue from the inside of the speaker? I am going to have to pull the passive out to inspect it closer and I am really not in any hurry, I only paid $23 for the sub as it sits. There may be a tiny pin hole in the rubber surround but I won't be able to tell until I pull it out. This sub is heavy as crap and I don't want to keep moving it around. If there is a pin hole in the surround, can I use a thin layer or rubber cement or something similar?

I appreciate any help, thank you in advance!

Tim

The spider may have come loose. Or the weight may have come loose. You may have to remove the drone to at least check the spider. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

The spider may have come loose. Or the weight may have come loose. You may have to remove the drone to at least check the spider. 

Is that something that can be fixed? Thank you. 

Tim

Thank you. I won't know much more until I pull the radiator. I have company coming in tomorrow so I am hoping the middle to late of next week I should know more. I appreciate the help. I will post here when I have things narrowed down.

Tim