Should there be an RB75 II ??

Mighty Favog

2 hours ago, haydukej said:

Without significant modifications, wouldn't a RB-75 II be too much in competition with the current RB-81IIs? Short of the larger tweet and higher xover.

Real wood veneer, and tweeter being a true compression driver.  I bet if priced correctly, maybe a 40% to 50% premium over the RB-81IIs, that they would not be in direct competition.  Similar to the RB-35 and RB-75 but not double the premium.

Bill

• 1 month later...

IMO dual RC-7's are the way to go, not much larger than the 75's and much more tower like performance. I bought a brand new pair of 81 II's and the 75's were much larger, fuller sounding in comparison. The RC-7's have a very detailed richness to them the 75's just don't have plus the 7's have significantly more bass.

7 hours ago, jjptkd said:

The RC-7's have a very detailed richness to them the 75's just don't have

Of course we know what we "hear" is subjective but "detailed richness"(and punchy) are the first adjectives that come to mind when I hear the RB-75's.  Of course placement, amplification, source, room acoustics, all can add or subtract to this "detailed richness".

On the other hand, I bet a pair of RC-7's would be great in a stereo rig.:emotion-21::emotion-21:

Bill

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 6:39 AM, wstrickland1 said:

I do believe the fact that they are 2 1/2 way gives them a little something extra

Well,  doesn't the Tapered Array Design actually take away that second LF driver in some frequencies?  

That said, I own 2 RC7s and 4 RB-75s and feel their CS driver/Horn is what REALLY makes them stand out from lower end models. 

3 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Well,  doesn't the Tapered Array Design actually take away that second LF driver in some frequencies?  

I believe so but considering there's two of them it still puts them above the 75's in bass performance. One is crossed over lower at 550hz so one woofer is 45hz-550hz, the other is 45hz-1950hz. For some reason I really felt as though the RC-7's are much clearer and detailed sounding as well, the 75's seemed smoothed over a bit, at least to me, lacking the crispness.

5 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

That said, I own 2 RC7s and 4 RB-75s and feel their CS driver/Horn is what REALLY makes them stand out from lower end models. 

I certainly don't think the way they're crossed is detrimental. I believe that's part of the magic. Just a theory though. They make a fantastic 2.0/2.1 setup.