What I Got Today!

Brac

Thanks... And all I did was clean clean clean...

Found out that metal polish works best on the old bake-light knobs. Plain Windex on the glass front and back, Ketchup on the green oxidization, brake fluid to remove the clearcoat on the brass, and finally a grey scotch pad to brush the brass finish to look factory. They only thing I should do is put some black paint in the bottom lettering indentations, and re-clearcoat the faceplate. I will eventually do that.

I have also done the internals, and replaced many tubes. The receiver sounds great.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 2

Found out that metal polish works best on the old bake-light knobs. Plain Windex on the glass front and back, Ketchup on the green oxidization, brake fluid to remove the clearcoat on the brass, and finally a grey scotch pad to brush the brass finish to look factory. They only thing I should do is put some black paint in the bottom lettering indentations, and re-clearcoat the faceplate. I will eventually do that.

I have also done the internals, and replaced many tubes. The receiver sounds great.

You may get a vistor some time Craig. My fiancé has a grandma and grandpa(they are separated and remarried) both in WV and as they age im gonna be sure she gets around them both as much as possible.

Id love to hear your lascala setup. Its the system I admired most while lurking before joining the forum as iv told you before. Anyhow...if its possible and your able a demo would be sweet(someday, if okay with you. we did get a visit in with both her grandfolks in the past couple months). You have an audio store close to you as well from what I gather...And your getting this tube thing down pretty good. That is one crazy sweet find you got there

• Like 1

You may get a vistor some time Craig. My fiancé has a grandma and grandpa(they are separated and remarried) both in WV and as they age im gonna be sure she gets around them both as much as possible.

Id love to hear your lascala setup. Its the system I admired most while lurking before joining the forum as iv told you before. Anyhow...if its possible and your able a demo would be sweet(someday, if okay with you. we did get a visit in with both her grandfolks in the past couple months). You have an audio store close to you as well from what I gather...And your getting this tube thing down pretty good. That is one crazy sweet find you got there

Sure, any time. Where in WV are they?

Ketchup?  Well, I do like ketchup on everything.

Nice! Be very careful on the glass. I had a vintage shortwave radio a few years ago. The legends/freq. on the back of the glass just flaked off. You couldn't even begin to clean it.

If the paint is on there solid, that would be great. I don't know if you could get the layout of it and have it re-silkscreened if worse comes to worse.

That should be awesome. I suppose it uses EL84/6BQ5 output tubes?

Bruce

Wow...I cannot think of the towns. 1 town is very small and the other has grocery and banks and all...They both live about an hour from each other. The grandmother is about 45 minutes from pittsburg and kind of close to wv...when going there you drive through wv for about 15 minutes and the other is in the hills a bit tucked away although just outside of a town. I'll get the addresses out and get back to check how close you may be. They are both doing real good at the age 80&82. The only issue I had was allergies in wv this summer. The church her grandmother goes to(opens and closes basically, my fiances dad is 2nd chaplin in the military so quite a bit of religion going on. he's a kernel as well and very busy all over the globe so we are keeping in touch with them both quite a bit) is not air conditioned and we recently spent quite a bit of time there helping locals back in june and the allergies very aggressive.

I seen you mention you own property. they both have very nice places. her grandfather just sold over 100acres of nice land just off of his original homestead. He's tucked back on a hilly road called balboa rd...only 2 homes back there or actually 3 but he has 2 with the one vacant...once he aged he put a small double wide on his land and it does him better than a house. They both still buy new vehicles every year and driving...very active for older people...her mothers side has good genetics as well lol they are still married and have a huge farm in midland Michigan and farm every day(sort of lol all the tractors, 2 I think but hige are in one of 2 big barns and they only farm corn so they have it made pretty nice)

Anyhow i'll get the addresses down and find your area sometime. May be spring yet again we may make a trip this fall or winter possibly. I love it around WV...Its not quite far enough south where everybody is super nice but is a great area with absolutely charming personalities everywhere. Life seems so simple in West Virginia. Im not so keen on the fracking going on in some areas although the people are wonderful. We have actually considered moving there. If either of them get ill I will likely make effort to get closer at least. It would be neat to meet up sometime though if convenient for you....when we go you cross my mind ya know.

• Like 1

Wow...I cannot think of the towns. 1 town is very small and the other has grocery and banks and all...They both live about an hour from each other. The grandmother is about 45 minutes from pittsburg and kind of close to wv...when going there you drive through wv for about 15 minutes

The grandmother is in Wheeling.  Sheesh.  :rolleyes:

and the other is in the hills a bit tucked away although just outside of a town.

"In the hills tucked away," gee, that narrows it down.  I'm going to guess just outside Sistersville, probably Middlebourne.  If you'll send me their number, I'll be happy to call them for you, so you know where they live.  Double sheesh.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mustang Guy lives about another 45 minutes away from Sistersville.  Just follow the Ohio River south from the second relative and you'll run right into him, as his business is also near a stoplight.

At least you didn't say your grandmother was from West Virginia, and lives in Roanoke. 

Edited by wvu80

Wow...I cannot think of the towns. 1 town is very small and the other has grocery and banks and all...They both live about an hour from each other. The grandmother is about 45 minutes from pittsburg and kind of close to wv...when going there you drive through wv for about 15 minutes

and the other is in the hills a bit tucked away although just outside of a town.

"In the hills tucked away," gee, that narrows it down.  I'm going to guess just outside Sistersville, probably Middlebourne.  If you'll send me their number, I'll be happy to call them for you, so you know where they live.  Double sheesh.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mustang Guy lives about another 45 minutes away from Sistersville.  Just follow the Ohio River south from the second relative and you'll run right into him, as his business is also near a stoplight.

At least you didn't say your grandmother was from West Virginia, and lives in Roanoke. 

Isn't that in western virginia?  :)

Her grandma is directly on a 2 lane main road running through a town with a brown in color ice cream shop only on the south side(very easy to find). Her grandpa is tucked away in the hills. I did find it the first time we went somehow. Now im learning how to get there every time is a bit different...you go past an old covered red bridge then go about 2 miles east of the town then curve off to the left...When her dad goes the granpas(his own dad/son) new wife drives down and helps them in...I don't feel so bad if his own high rank military 50yr old son(my soon to be father in law) cant find it lol

I do like it around there though...There is no law. And everybody iv met around them both all have good values. They both have friends that help them out so im not super eager to get around there too frequent at the moment. Her grandpa has a really neat pond we atv down to for my fiancé to fish. He truly created this balboa road then built his home and sold land on the end where another big house sits that another guy built...I did have a gps take me there once and we literally stumbled on it, I have no idea how. Her grandma had remarried a Carrol and they live/d and she still lives in the southwest corner of Pennsylvania...The grandpa is WV and its a zip that just changed and some new zoning quadrants of some sort were issued...

I take 70 out of Columbus Ohio east toward wheeling and neither are in wheeling...My own grandfolks use to frequent wheeling wv every fall for the dogwood then on to atlantic city. I know my way around there somewhat but gotta get the notes out of her car and i'll let yall know right where they are sometime soon. From fort wayne I can get to either one in right at 6 hours if theres no roadwork or night driving...we hit a deer in the dark near the grandpas in the dark and it wasn't my first...hundreds just standing in roads there...the most iv ever seen by far. And all the construction and fracking crap can make the trip long...Anyhow Cheers all!

• Like 2

I ordered 3 more 402's today, should be here in a few weeks.

Wow...well when there used and you go to sell holler! lol

Congratulations! new 402's have to be fun to order! I cant imagine how you would look forward to them though...A little beyond my imagination I guess. Im real happy to hear your making the the step In apparent full 402 surround sound? That is amazing

• Like 1

Several of my friends who have been subjected to my recent interest in vintage audio have been bringing me items that they have been meaning to get rid of or gathered from others they run into who have such.  Today I received from a buddy a pair of HPM 100's that reportedly "needed some work" so were being disposed of.  They came with a 70's vintage Kenwood Eleven III receiver which is very cool looking, but which I haven't hooked up yet.  When I questioned my buddy about what might be wrong with the speakers, he said he was told they sound "scratchy".  Obviously it was the dusty receiver that caused that because the speakers sound really great to me when I hooked them up to the receiver in my office.  Not sure what to do with the Kenwood.  I'll have to plug it in and see what is going on.  Still a pleasant surprise from a friend.

In a related note, I ran into a guy at the vintage electronics store I frequent recently.  He had an entire pick-up load full of a wide variety of vintage stereo amps, speakers, turntables, receivers.  Some great stuff, some junk.  His thing is he is a furnace repair guy and he always inquires of the stuff he see's collecting dust (literally) in peoples basements and gets it for a song or for free. Then he trades it in on repairs and or better vintage stuff.  Pretty cool way to fund his addiction it seems to me.

Several of my friends who have been subjected to my recent interest in vintage audio have been bringing me items that they have been meaning to get rid of or gathered from others they run into who have such.  Today I received from a buddy a pair of HPM 100's that reportedly "needed some work" so were being disposed of.  They came with a 70's vintage Kenwood Eleven III receiver which is very cool looking, but which I haven't hooked up yet.  When I questioned my buddy about what might be wrong with the speakers, he said he was told they sound "scratchy".  Obviously it was the dusty receiver that caused that because the speakers sound really great to me when I hooked them up to the receiver in my office.  Not sure what to do with the Kenwood.  I'll have to plug it in and see what is going on.  Still a pleasant surprise from a friend.

In a related note, I ran into a guy at the vintage electronics store I frequent recently.  He had an entire pick-up load full of a wide variety of vintage stereo amps, speakers, turntables, receivers.  Some great stuff, some junk.  His thing is he is a furnace repair guy and he always inquires of the stuff he see's collecting dust (literally) in peoples basements and gets it for a song or for free. Then he trades it in on repairs and or better vintage stuff.  Pretty cool way to fund his addiction it seems to me.

Sounds like a pretty good situation to me! cheers

Im not sure exactly what im going to do yet. the odd one will be a centre channel of some kind.

That also sounds like a pretty cool situation to be in as well! It appears to me since your buying a new place in florida your buying and sending stuff back to Canada. When you get beck up north the house is gonna be so full the door wont open. Sounds like fun though!
  • Like 1

• CECAA850 changed the title to What I Got Today!