What I Got Today!

Brac

Yesterday I got some of "oldtimer"'s light-your-butt-on-fire Hawaiian hot sauce. Now the question is what to use it on...

my brother-inlaw gave me some "crazy" hot sause many many years ago.......it took me 15 years to use it all, it was the type of sause that one very small drop in a large bowl of chili would make it too hot for most.

My wife and I have some friends from Indonesia and they take us to this authentic Indonesian restaurant just outside of Philly-China Town. The food is great, well they serve a "chili" with the food. Not the chili we all know and love. It's like a pepper sauce. There are two types, a HOT one and a CRAZY HOT one.

One of the meals there my friend "Jimmy" was speaking to the waiter in Indonesian, I had no clue what they were saying. But they were talking about me! I'm like hey....what's up? Jimmy told me the waiter has never seen a "white" guy eat as much crazy hot chili as me. He said I eat more crazy hot chili than most of the Asian people that come there.

I love the stuff.......but the next day I pay the price, I think it's hotter coming out.....lol lol

Just saying......didn't mean to hijack the thread. :-)

• Like 1

my brother-inlaw gave me some "crazy" hot sause many many years ago.......it took me 15 years to use it all, it was the type of sause that one very small drop in a large bowl of chili would make it too hot for most.

Yeah this was nothing like that. I consumed nearly half a bottle in one sitting. Big chunks of something, probably carrots. I put it on Hawaiian pizza.

• Like 1

Nice turn table Rodney.  You always pickup some excellent pieces of gear. :)   I am not on this thread often but, today I got a nice little set of speakers.  I am not sure were they will finally end up.  The deal was just to not to pass up.  The veneer is coming of the back of the little speaker and one of the rubber feet is missing on the RB 35.  Otherwise the speakers are in good condition.  A little spray glue should fix the Veneer.

• Like 1

Got a couple things yesterday..

IMG_0223_zpsc1da6735.jpg

IMG_0227_zps16b9e12b.jpg

IMG_0229_zps798ecefb.jpg

When you get the 8050/RB-81II's all set up, please give me your take on sound quality.

Are you using the TX-8050 and it's onboard amps or as a preamp with your Acurus A250?

Edit: I just looked at your equipment profile and see that you will be using the TX-8050 as a preamp with the A250 driving your Chorus II's, what do you think?

Opinion by itself and just as a preamp if you don't mind.

I have enjoyed my Integra DTM-40.4(same as TX-8050) immensely with Heresys, Heresy II's, and RB-35's and feel the onboard amps are plenty in my L13ft x W13ft x H10ft room.  I did experiment using the DTM-40.4 with an Acurus A100 driving my RB-35's and the combination was wonderful.

Thanks for your time/opinions,

Bill

Edited by willland

Congrats, they are very nice.  Where will you use them?

The 81's will be apart of the rest of my Reference II speaker system.

I have enjoyed my Integra DTM-40.4(same as TX-8050)

That was the stereo receiver I was originally looking at, but I just didn't have the $$ for it new, and they never really pop up on craigslist. 

When you get the 8050/RB-81II's all set up, please give me your take on sound quality.   Are you using the TX-8050 and it's onboard amps or as a preamp with your Acurus A250?   Edit: I just looked at your equipment profile and see that you will be using the TX-8050 as a preamp with the A250 driving your Chorus II's, what do you think?   Opinion by itself and just as a preamp if you don't mind.   I have enjoyed my Integra DTM-40.4(same as TX-8050) immensely with Heresys, Heresy II's, and RB-35's and feel the onboard amps are plenty in my L13ft x W13ft x H10ft room.  I did experiment using the DTM-40.4 with an Acurus A100 driving my RB-35's and the combination was wonderful.   Thanks for your time/opinions,   Bill

Before I put my 81's in the garage with the rest of my ht system I gave a listen to them on the Onkyo/Acurus system, and they sounded great! The 8050 has more than enough power to drive the 81's to ear bleeding levels, however when I added the Acurus it got even better. I am very impressed with how smooth the 81's sound, and how much bass they can put out. I now understand why some consider them to be floor stander replacements. Sound quality in general is top notch. The Onkyo by itself is great, but the A250 just gives the 81's authority down in the bass department, and to my ears sounded smoother in the high end. I really couldn't discern much of a difference from the B&K Ref 50 that I was using that unfortunately died on me.

As for the Chorus II's with the Onkyo/Acurus, everything sounds great there as well. I like the internet radio/network capabilities of the 8050, and the fact I have a remote now :P . One small gripe I do have is the 8050 doesn't seem to like anything but Apple devices for the usb port. But all in all, I'm very pleased with the Onkyo and RB-81's.

One small gripe I do have is the 8050 doesn't seem to like anything but Apple devices for the usb port. But all in all, I'm very pleased with the Onkyo and RB-81's.

I have not used the USB port except with the wiress dongle so I can't confirm the same problems.  I now have my DTM-40.4 hardwired ethernet(powerline adapter) so not even using it wirelessly.

The 8050 has more than enough power to drive the 81's to ear bleeding levels, however when I added the Acurus it got even better. I am very impressed with how smooth the 81's sound, and how much bass they can put out.

Plenty of punch with my DTM-40.4 alone but we both know the Acurus will extract all the bass your speakers are capable of.

Thanks for your time to give me your opinion,

Bill

• Like 1

• CECAA850 changed the title to What I Got Today!