What I Got Today!

Brac

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

I have one of those with a metal case.  Excellent cosmetics but the tuner section drifts.  Are you going to restore yours?

Yea, I got it restored. I love it, I haven't had an issue with the tuner. The guy who restored it loved the tuner. He was able to receive stations without an antenna that he usually can't get with other units with an antenna.

• Like 1

Just got my second pair of Merrell hikers after almost 6 years.  Absolutely the most comfortable and durable brand of shoes I have ever owned.  These are waterproof and have Vibram soles.  And I got them for quite a bargain through my employer's EPP and from www.shoes.com.  They sell all day long for $119.99 and I got them for $95.96 shipped minus $50.00 of WOWPoints for a grand total of $45.96.

My first pair were Merrell Reflex low hikers and they were for the most part worn daily since October 2011.

Bill

Merrell Moab 2 box.jpg

Merrell Moab 2 top.jpg

Merrell Moab 2 side.jpg

Merrell Moab 2 Vibram sole.jpg

Merrell Reflex 2011 Purchase.jpg

I wear Merrells almost exclusively since discovering them more than a decade ago. I agree, versatile and extremely well made. I do wish they would update the line though, many of those design have been around since I began wearing the shoes.

58 minutes ago, Schu said:

I wear Merrells almost exclusively since discovering them more than a decade ago. I agree, versatile and extremely well made. I do wish they would update the line though, many of those design have been around since I began wearing the shoes.

The Moab was just updated in 2017 after 10 years to the Moab 2.  They did update the Reflex that I have a couple of years ago.  I think the pair that I just ordered was updated in 2016.  I actually have my eye on a sweet looking pair of Adidas hikers.

Bill

New triamp setup!  The sound is absolutely incredible, better than any system I have ever heard hands-down.  I can hear things in tracks I didn't know were there; I've heard more than one $200k setups.

Custom made (by me): Canare star quad cables, power cables, rack enclosure and speaker cables using Neutrik SpeakOn connectors.  FIR filters and time alignment done using a Xilica XD4080 fed via AES from JRiver Media Center (RME ASIO hammerfall driver, using a RME HDSPe AES‑32 card).

These amps will beat ANY consumer grade amps available (at ANY price); at least when compared to S/N and distortion measurements I've seen or reviewers have measured (Audio Precision measurements by Stereophile: https://www.stereophile.com/content/benchmark-media-systems-ahb2-power-amplifier-measurements ).

5973d8f72f058_AHB2ampsXD4080SM.thumb.jpg.5254a4b6af724b5f0de1f74778bfa093.jpg

5973d93837e88_rackbackSM.thumb.jpg.40d0f71ec67c0ef32169b658f055abe1.jpg

5973da3d03778_amprackcloseupSM.thumb.jpg.5460baae6d03b6924aea1573e8811341.jpg

5973d9b44fd58_AHB2distortion1kHzinto4ohms.jpg.71c3d8b60084d6862420ebaeab0dd640.jpg

5973d9cea1158_AHB2bridgedmonodistortion1kHzinto8ohms.jpg.862d3f71fbe0f6369bbbfa1d07cb526e.jpg

5973d9e457be8_AHB21Winto8ohms.jpg.b181dbe3af0871f8e5999591bb5aaed2.jpg

• Like 5

On 7/9/2017 at 2:59 PM, Tigerman said:

I wanted one what was quiet and had TWO stages to replace the earlier unit of same type...   This one is down a little on HP.   5/8 hp. vs. 3/4 hp. on the former unit..  but is newer and has a larger insulation cover on it...

These are suspended and insulated from the sink, and plumbing by rubber ONLY, so that helps to keep the vibration to a minimum. (as mentioned above)

I HIGHLY recommend this one if you don't mind spending the $$     Pictured here is my earlier model on the left, it was around $170 back in 2008....   This one was $190 with the taxes... Send me a PMail and let me know what you decide.   These are a SNAP to install ..IMG_5771.jpg

I need to do a disposal in our sink as it doesn't have one.  I was curious on these; good to hear you like them.

I moved my RB-51's from my computer speaker setup to my garage speaker setup.  I was previously using a KMC-3, but just got tired of the port whistle, and I used the equalizer on the tablet to back off a lot of bass.  That said, this setup is temporary until I build a shop soon and then "remodel" the garage to be something nice.  I will continue to use the RB-51's and a sub I build years ago in the shop. :)

35233970624_39d7d46810_h.jpg[/img]

• Like 2

His post made me buy one... it's been exactly what had been looking for. Around 40db and 3/4hp powerful!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

broke down and decided to upgrade to 4k HDR and UHD... region free.

s-l500.jpg

this will motivate me to purchase 4K OLED soon... prices are pretty low already.

On 7/22/2017 at 5:17 PM, etc6849 said:

New triamp setup!  The sound is absolutely incredible, better than any system I have ever heard hands-down.  I can hear things in tracks I didn't know were there; I've heard more than one $200k setups.

Custom made (by me): Canare star quad cables, power cables, rack enclosure and speaker cables using Neutrik SpeakOn connectors.  FIR filters and time alignment done using a Xilica XD4080 fed via AES from JRiver Media Center (RME ASIO hammerfall driver, using a RME HDSPe AES‑32 card).

These amps will beat ANY consumer grade amps available (at ANY price); at least when compared to S/N and distortion measurements I've seen or reviewers have measured (Audio Precision measurements by Stereophile: https://www.stereophile.com/content/benchmark-media-systems-ahb2-power-amplifier-measurements ).

5973d8f72f058_AHB2ampsXD4080SM.thumb.jpg.5254a4b6af724b5f0de1f74778bfa093.jpg

5973d93837e88_rackbackSM.thumb.jpg.40d0f71ec67c0ef32169b658f055abe1.jpg

5973da3d03778_amprackcloseupSM.thumb.jpg.5460baae6d03b6924aea1573e8811341.jpg

5973d9b44fd58_AHB2distortion1kHzinto4ohms.jpg.71c3d8b60084d6862420ebaeab0dd640.jpg

5973d9cea1158_AHB2bridgedmonodistortion1kHzinto8ohms.jpg.862d3f71fbe0f6369bbbfa1d07cb526e.jpg

5973d9e457be8_AHB21Winto8ohms.jpg.b181dbe3af0871f8e5999591bb5aaed2.jpg

Amen brother on the Benchmark AHB2 I just got one two weeks back, stellar astounding there are no words and nothing to compare them to, they are beyond my wildest expectations. Super delighted with this amp. My first thought on turn on was what a pair (vertical biamp) would sound like. Congratulations last amps you will ever buy.

• Like 1

The AHB2's are the best amps available at any price for usage 500W and lower, period (from an objective engineering standpoint based on the independent Audio Precision data I have seen).  The measurements don't lie, these amps are for real.  Until I bought my initial two I was a tad skeptical, but I did believe the specs and independent measurements.  I can easily hear things that were hidden in the noise floor before, and the imaging is so real and holographic your hair will stand up on your neck cause your mind can't believe there is not someone singing in front of you!

This new setup added two more AHB2's for the woofers and eliminated an Emotiva XMC-1 and all Emotiva XPR amps I had before.  I can't stand hearing distortion now, and I'm very spoiled.  I have no problem stating that my setup can compete with any system at any price, and is the best I've heard.  

Being 100% PC driven it uses 64 bit floating point audio processing found in JRiver.  With the fantastic DAC of the Xilica XD4080 (and it's FIR filters) feeding the best amps in the world, things sound really unbelievable.  Going 100% pro-audio with a single D/A conversion and feeding the AHB2's was the smartest decision I have ever made, but to be fair, that would be true had I owned Krell, Mcintosh or any other top brands.

You wouldn't believe all the nasty comments I got on the Emotiva forum for just posting those graphs and comparing them to the XPR-1's measurements.  The Audio Precision measurements of the Emotiva XPR amps just can't compare, and neither can their sound.

IMG_20170716_214920.thumb.jpg.ecd78d44265c28da5f7e62f3960c7b35.jpg

On 7/25/2017 at 2:50 PM, moray james said:

Amen brother on the Benchmark AHB2 I just got one two weeks back, stellar astounding there are no words and nothing to compare them to, they are beyond my wildest expectations. Super delighted with this amp. My first thought on turn on was what a pair (vertical biamp) would sound like. Congratulations last amps you will ever buy.

• Like 1

No passive crossovers in the speakers :)  They are fully tri-amped.  I will say on my P-17b bookshelf speakers the passive XO's are very good quality when paired to the AHB2.  It would seem the amp has much lower inter-modulation distortion (IMD) than any other amp I have driven the P-17b's with.  Still the midrange has a tiny bit less distortion and better voicing when compared to the P-39f tri-amped setup (and of course the bass is better with 6 woofers due to room coupling/room mode reduction).

I had originally tri-amped because of the IMD that was audible on drums, pianos and even voices, but I was using the Emotiva XPR amps back then.  With these new amp designs that have ultra low total distortion, I do wonder how audible IMD would be.  Certainly driver control is still better, but the AHB2 amp is well designed and can handle any speaker load without an increase in distortion.

If you want that extra few percent in performance, and are very technical, there is still an audible difference when actively tri-amping.  The added clarity was immediately noticeable to me.

8 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

So are you bypassing the passive networks inside the Palladiums?

So you took out the crossovers all together?  Does the amp perform their function now?

The xd4080 does the crossover work from what I can gather, after reading your post again.  The question is how do you bypass the factory internal crossovers?  Did you remove them or disconnect them?  I am clearly confused, help me.

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

So you took out the crossovers all together?  Does the amp perform their function now?

The xd4080 does the crossover work from what I can gather, after reading your post again.  The question is how do you bypass the factory internal crossovers?  Did you remove them or disconnect them?  I am clearly confused, help me.

From the pictures I've seen I believe there's 3 sets of terminals on the bottom of the speaker.   If you pull the jumpers it MAY isolate the drivers but that's just a guess on my part.