What I Got Today!

Brac

On 10/14/2017 at 9:03 PM, wvu80 said:

This isn't What I Got Today, it's What I Did Today.  WVU Homecoming 2017.  WVU came from behind to defeat Texas Tech 49-35.  GREAT game!

This is me with the 400 piece WVU Alumni band and the 350 piece big band.  I am wearing yellow and standing exactly on the 5 of the 50 on the near sideline.  I am dead center in the cymbal picture with the big grin on my face.  See if you can figure out why.  :D

Homecoming Marching Band 2017.jpg

Small 00064.jpg

Very nice Dave, looks like that would be a great time.

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Schu said:

Must be nice... I hope to be able to purchase a "New" set of speakers directly from the factory some day. The feeling must be very satisfying!

Congratulations!

@Schu, these were a gift from @pappyIII, which makes them even more special. Elden and I both are overwhelmed. 

• Like 1

What I got today - a head full of fantastic, live Jazz from some of the greats. At the local Junior College beautiful orchestra hall we saw the Jazz "Super Group" Hudson. Man-o-man could these guys cook.

John Scofield, guitar

Jack DeJohnette, drums

Larry Grenadier, bass

John Medeski, keyboards

Live jazz is not only a refreshing departure from recorded music but lets you compare your rig to live sound.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, richieb said:

What I got today - a head full of fantastic, live Jazz from some of the greats. At the local Junior College beautiful orchestra hall we saw the Jazz "Super Group" Hudson. Man-o-man could these guys cook.

John Scofield, guitar

Jack DeJohnette, drums

Larry Grenadier, bass

John Medeski, keyboards

Live jazz is not only a refreshing departure from recorded music but lets you compare your rig to live sound.

I'll bet that was a good time:) Jack DeJohnette--I had not seen his name in a long time, had to google him. Wow 75 and still hammering the drums. Cool.

1 hour ago, babadono said:

I'll bet that was a good time:) Jack DeJohnette--I had not seen his name in a long time, had to google him. Wow 75 and still hammering the drums. Cool.

Yep, hammering he was. Two hour show he stepped back stage for a few minutes during a solo, wiped his sweat, a bottle of water and back to the sticks. Grenadier on the stand-up bass was unreal. He gave that instrument helll, he may well have been the standout. I've heard a lot of Scofield and his licks all sound the same, very good but very predictable. DeJohnette is a jazz veterean who has played with all the greats from Miles to Chick Correa. Guy looked damn good for 75 ----

Didn't actually get it today. It arrived the day before Hurricane Irma arrived. Needless to say I was a little busy before the storm and I've been fairly busy since. It was until this past Saturday that I took the time to unbox it and replace the U-Turn Audio Orbit table on the audio rack.

It's a Pro-Ject 2Xperience DC Acryl. It came with an Ortofon 2M Red. I ordered my previous TT with a 2M Blue so I swapped the styluses (styli?). I already had the Ringmat. I've tried a number of different TT mats ranging from cork to felt to DIY and my ears like the Ringmat the best. I acquired the TT at a VERY good price as a "demo" from a well respected online audio seller.

First album played 180G Steely Dan's Aja. Initial impressions... Considerably lower noise floor. I attribute this to the motor being de-coupled from the plinth. Not that the Orbit was bad just that the Pro-Ject is better. Now here's something I have no explaination for. Output being fed to the receiver seems to be much higher. I don't need to raise the volume nearly as high as I did with the Orbit to achieve the same volume level. Maybe it's cable resistance. Maybe it's cartridge "break in" (if you believe in such things). Maybe it's my imagination (I am coming up hard on 60) but I seem to be getting the same volume with the knob at ~10:00 that took the knob at 12:00 with the Orbit.

For those interested the rest of the system consists of: An Outlaw Audio RR2150 receiver, an Oppo UDP-205 disc player & DAC, a pair of Klipsch RF-82 II speakers, and a Klipsh R-12SW subwoofer. All of the cabling is the best that Blue Jeans Cable has to offer except for the turntable which was a pretty nice unbranded cable that came with the TT. It all sits in a Pangea Audio Vulcan stand. Certainly not the best system or most expensive system I've ever owned but I'm pretty happy with it. Especially considering I live in one side of a duplex and really can't crank it up without my neighbor or a sheriff deputy pounding on my door.

Before the new TT:

System with R-12SW.jpg

The new TT:

Pro-Ject.jpg

Spinning a little Steely Dan Aja

Playing.jpg

Forgot to add... If anyone here is looking for a VERY nice "entry level" turntable package PM me. The Orbit along with a Cambridge Audio phono preamp will be going up for sale here soon.

• Like 4

• Moderators
On 10/15/2017 at 8:09 PM, Ceptorman said:

I am dead center in the cymbal picture with the big grin on my face.  See if you can figure out why.  :D

If I had to guess it's because of one or both of the ladies hands on each side of you.