What I Got Today!

Brac

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

That’s why i got rid of my BMW 528 -- funny, right before i logged onto the forum just now, i was thinking “i wish i would have kept the BMW."

One  of my riding buds was once a manufacturers rep for BMW and saw the myriad of problems associated with newer BMW's. he said he "would never" own one without a warranty to fall back on. It's funny that I drove BM's from the late '70's when no one had a clue what the helll they were until the mid-90's. I experienced very few problems in those years. 

He tells a great story that I can relate to as I worked for a German company most me career where the first big 7 Series coming to the states had constant complaints about inadequate AC. Of course the Germans knew better that there were no issues, all was perfectly designed. (My companies engineers best comments was " we've never seen this before"). So when a group BM managers were heading to the States landing in Houston the local rep had their 7 Series waiting in the lot for them. A black on black, parked early in the morning for their afternoon arrival, in the summer heat, Houston rush hour traffic. After sweating their German balls off, the car never cooling, the AC received a new design. 

• Like 2

On 10/23/2017 at 7:08 PM, richieb said:

One  of my riding buds was once a manufacturers rep for BMW and saw the myriad of problems associated with newer BMW's. he said he "would never" own one without a warranty to fall back on. It's funny that I drove BM's from the late '70's when no one had a clue what the helll they were until the mid-90's. I experienced very few problems in those years. 

He tells a great story that I can relate to as I worked for a German company most me career where the first big 7 Series coming to the states had constant complaints about inadequate AC. Of course the Germans knew better that there were no issues, all was perfectly designed. (My companies engineers best comments was " we've never seen this before"). So when a group BM managers were heading to the States landing in Houston the local rep had their 7 Series waiting in the lot for them. A black on black, parked early in the morning for their afternoon arrival, in the summer heat, Houston rush hour traffic. After sweating their German balls off, the car never cooling, the AC received a new design. 

Mine was a 2010 ... did have to put a new transmission in and the “brain” center (not sure what that electronic thing is called that controls ... everything).  But, all covered under the warranty. Actually, the brain fried while they were replacing the tranny. I did like the car though.

My nephew has a 7-series and has had a great deal of problems. 

Our newest is a 2003.  That and the 2000  are quite reliable.  We have driven an 88 and an 80 with good results too, so where exactly is the cutoff?  I'm curious for my next purchase, in case it is another bmw.  In the DFW area of Texas, bmw's were known and loved way back to the 70's, so it makes me wonder just how backward of a place you live in Richie?

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Our newest is a 2003.  That and the 2000  are quite reliable.  We have driven an 88 and an 80 with good results too, so where exactly is the cutoff?  I'm curious for my next purchase, in case it is another bmw.  In the DFW area of Texas, bmw's were known and loved way back to the 70's, so it makes me wonder just how backward of a place you live in Richie?

I wasn't around in the 70's, but I've owned a couple of 2002's.. 1971 and 1976 year models. There's still a pretty active 2002 crowd in DFW, as well as down south in Houston, San Antonio, and Austin.

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

KC - and yes we have indoor plumbing?!

Owned a 2002 and 2002tii / 320i / 2800 / 528i / 535i

Bikes - R75/6 / R100S / K1200RS / R1200ST / currently K1600GT

Once BWW cars became as common as Accords I gave up on them. 

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

Wow.  I learn something new every day.  Now answer the question about where the line is regarding recent models.

Since my buddy left BMW for a job with Subaru some time ago I'm kinda guessing here but the early 2000's is where QC started to decline. I know the friends I made in Germany through work, many of them engineers and/or technicians, always thought it funny with all the "trendy" 3 series cars in the US, taxis for them. Nearly all of them drove Audi or MB with little praise for BM. 

1 minute ago, richieb said:

Since my buddy left BMW for a job with Subaru some time ago I'm kinda guessing here but the early 2000's is where QC started to decline. I know the friends I made in Germany through work, many of them engineers and/or technicians, always thought it funny with all the "trendy" 3 series cars in the US, taxis for them. Nearly all of them drove Audi or MB with little praise for BM. 

Models definitely varied by region.  Audis and mercs in the US especially in the past define boring.  German cars leaned heavily to diesels.  Apples and oranges.