What I Got Today!

Brac

18 hours ago, wvu80 said:

If you get a chance you might want to keep notes.  That will make a nice thread I think a lot of people will be interested in.  :emotion-21:

@calhockey10 - yes, I for one.  as well as your impression of the Adcom.  this is something on my mind as the next addition/upgrade at whatever point I decide to really analyzing possibilities.  congrats on your new addition  :emotion-21:

25 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Have you used it yet?  Review so far?

I have an identical unit that came with a chisel tip.  It's an outstanding iron that I used to build my Nelson Pass ACA monoblocks.  It heats up extremely fast and does a great job of maintaining temperature.  The base is well designed and sturdy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I have an identical unit that came with a chisel tip.  It's an outstanding iron that I used to build my Nelson Pass ACA monoblocks.  It heats up extremely fast and does a great job of maintaining temperature.  The base is well designed and sturdy.

I have the identical unit as well.  I got mine with a bunch of tips for an additional ten bucks.

I like the digital temperature settings.  You can pick your temperature settings which is why a soldering station blows away any ordinary solder gun.  It not only heats quickly to the temperature selected it also measures the actual temperature at the tip.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Did yours have the 2 small sponges.

44 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The tip wiping sponges, yes.

Talking about these in photo. I filed a review of the purchase and Ness came back with:
"There is only 1 sponge that comes with the Hakko FX888D-23BY.  It comes with the A1559 sponge, which has 2 partial cut outs in the middle.  In the picture on the manual it kind of looks like they are separate pieces.  These are just 2 flaps cut into the large sponge."

Manual seems pretty plain to me that the two small vertical sponges would weep water from the holder base reservoir into the large sponge.

I sent them this photo and disagreed with their assessment of said photograph.

Hakko Sponge.jpg

• Moderators

Not as exciting as most of the stuff here but it was needed.

It's a contraption to convert old VCR tape to digital, we have some old VCR tapes that had not been converted to disc with video that can not be replaced, and the tape needs to be thrown away. I had to borrow a VCR player from my sister to even play them.

Had to download some things for it to work but it seems to work well, and cheap enough, $35. It has it's own program to help organize it once it's on the computer.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/886667-REG/diamond_vc500_usb_video_capture.html

diamond_vc500_usb_video_capture_1499118657000_886667.jpg

• Like 3

Bad news my dad is in the hospital. Good news I traveled back to MI and the UofM hospital home of a few used record stores in Ann Arbor, Mi. Taking a break to clear my head I walked from Hospital to down town. Stopped in and found this. Not the real picture I stole below from InterWebs, but mine is in really nice shape.

Go Blue!

e09b3e822ac8b7577317c220376bbafb--black-

• Like 2

20 hours ago, USNRET said:

Talking about these in photo. I filed a review of the purchase and Ness came back with:
"There is only 1 sponge that comes with the Hakko FX888D-23BY.  It comes with the A1559 sponge, which has 2 partial cut outs in the middle.  In the picture on the manual it kind of looks like they are separate pieces.  These are just 2 flaps cut into the large sponge."

Manual seems pretty plain to me that the two small vertical sponges would weep water from the holder base reservoir into the large sponge.

I sent them this photo and disagreed with their assessment of said photograph.

Hakko Sponge.jpg

How much soldering(hours in a row) ya gonna be doin'? Just dampen the sponge and proceed:)

5 hours ago, dtel said:

Not as exciting as most of the stuff here but it was needed.

It's a contraption to convert old VCR tape to digital, we have some old VCR tapes that had not been converted to disc with video that can not be replaced, and the tape needs to be thrown away. I had to borrow a VCR player from my sister to even play them.

Had to download some things for it to work but it seems to work well, and cheap enough, $35. It has it's own program to help organize it once it's on the computer.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/886667-REG/diamond_vc500_usb_video_capture.html

diamond_vc500_usb_video_capture_1499118657000_886667.jpg

Actually it looks pretty interesting. I should transfer some old vcr tapes as well. I looked on the B&H site and it looks like the software is only for windows but in the review section someone mentioned converting to MP4. Do you know if this thing works on Macs?

THX