What I Got Today!

Brac

1 hour ago, teaman said:
1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Wow, I can't believe you said what I was thinking!  My first thought when I saw the XPA-5 gen 1 was "I'm pretty sure I have some satin black spray paint in the basement."

Not of fan of the aluminum trim.  Is there any problem with me spray painting it black?

Black sharpie is cheaper....lol

Just take them off and replace the silver screws with black ones until you find some black trim. I'm not a big fan of the trim on the XPA's although I did buy the black ones for both of mine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, teaman said:

I appreciate the hard work you are putting in dtel, I think the glasses look awesome. I am honestly in no hurry! 

I am hoping there is some way to swing getting down to the Pilgrimage!

Tim

I wish you could make it, it would be nice to meet you. I really like doing them because I like them myself and I know others do also. it's just like anything else when you do it over and over it's not quite as much fun. :lol:

Wanted to tell you I have been using 2 Emotive MiniX amps for a couple of weeks and really like them. The Mini X is the model before the BassX but the Mini does not have a headphone jack, only difference. Really good little amps for the price, I showed Roy the inside transformer and layout and he was really impressed for the price and liked that it is a non switching A-B amp. They seem to doing great so far.

7 minutes ago, dtel's wife said:

@dtel completely forgot about the packing, boxing and shipping part of getting these completed. 

Your right I forgot about that part, because I don't have to do it. :P

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, teaman said:
1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Wow, I can't believe you said what I was thinking!  My first thought when I saw the XPA-5 gen 1 was "I'm pretty sure I have some satin black spray paint in the basement."

Not of fan of the aluminum trim.  Is there any problem with me spray painting it black?

Black sharpie is cheaper....lol

Started using a couple of these a few weeks ago, was first thinking I wouldn't like the silver either, it never bothered me enough yet to remove them, never thought about removing and painting them. :emotion-55:

396810-emotiva_mini_x_a100.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah, that little Mini A-100 as listed now has been around a long time, back to the days of Sherbourn. Every few years they do a refresh but for the money it is pretty hard to beat. Quite the little trooper.

Just ran the Pilgrimage by my wife, we will have to see. My daughter is playing for a National volleyball team based here in Michigan but plays in Pittsburgh the following weekend. I will make every effort to get down there. I would love to meet all my Klipsch friends!

Tim

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

You do you, but I personally went with the trim upgrade so it would match my MC-700

IMG_4085.JPG

2 hours ago, dtel said:

Started using a couple of these a few weeks ago, was first thinking I wouldn't like the silver either, it never bothered me enough yet to remove them, never thought about removing and painting them. :emotion-55:

I believe children and amplifiers should be heard and not seen.  B)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dtel said:

It really takes alot of time, it's a bunch of steps. We had to order the glasses and wait for them to come in, that slows things down also.

We liked them and thought others would and thought it would be nice to give some out.

For a couple of gatherings we gave them away, it was a crazy amount of work, the first time we did it we just brought about 70 glasses and gave them away. The next time everyone who came was given one and it was many more people, as the list of people attending grew we realized we were behind in making them. So much so Kevin Harmon and his wife came here for one weekend before to help finish them because we were running out of time.

We realized we took on almost more than we could handle so we had to stop doing them, many had them already anyway.

They are sandblasted with Aluminum Oxide, but you have to cut a stencil first. Weed out the part you want to engrave then add transfer paper to it, then peel off the paper backing. Put the stencil on the glass then tape off the rest of the glass as to not etch it. Next you etch (sandblast) the glass then un-tape it and clean off the stencil which is a pain. Last we wash the glass to get all the dust and junk off of it. It's alot of time consuming steps and when your doing many it seems to take forever.

It's the same steps for the Yeti style cups except if I make a mistake it's much more expensive, the Yeti's make me nervous. The only thing that can really go wrong is if while sandblasting a small piece if the stencil blows off it etches that spot and it's ruined.

I have 3 of the glasses here, after today 4, all of them have a mistake on them :blush: I can't seem to be able to throw them away so they get used here and one breaks it's no loss.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have a secret to tell, one of the 2 years we gave them away 1 of the glasses have a small mistake on it, we decide to let it go like that and whoever found the mistake would win a prize, never had to give the prize no one found or said anything about it. Times UP :lol:

Well one mistake I noticed anyway, there may have been others ? :P

That does sound like a lot of work. I have one from two years ago, I don't think there is a blemish on it, I'll look again.

I keep trying to get down there, even paid for it twice. It's just my busiest time of the year with work, especially after being off work all winter. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

That does sound like a lot of work. I have one from two years ago, I don't think there is a blemish on it, I'll look again.

I keep trying to get down there, even paid for it twice. It's just my busiest time of the year with work, especially after being off work all winter. 

Your contributions to the event have been greatly appreciated!  

• Like 3

Five SVS cables 1m for the Emotiva XPA-5.  I would not normally post something like this but I thought it was interesting, if you look closely at the ends you'll see a small arrow indicating which way to orient the cable, towards the amp.  These are directional.

Small 00013.jpg

Small 00014.jpg

• Like 4

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Five SVS cables 1m for the Emotiva XPA-5.  I would not normally post something like this but I thought it was interesting, if you look closely at the ends you'll see a small arrow indicating which way to orient the cable, towards the amp.  These are directional.

I don't really get that directional thing.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 2/13/2018 at 10:32 PM, teaman said:

Yeah, that little Mini A-100 as listed now has been around a long time, back to the days of Sherbourn. Every few years they do a refresh but for the money it is pretty hard to beat.

I had no idea it's been around that long, at one time I wanted one certain Sherbourn AVR and I can't even remember which one now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

I don't really get that directional thing.

I don't get it either.  I'm sure there's some science behind it but I don't know what it is.  What's funny is the SVS ad copy doesn't even mention the directional thing.   The technology and engineering looks good.

6dcfd0ea-65bc-42d4-9913-a2766b6fa60e.jpg

Precision engineered with cold-fused gold plating on the center pin and the outer contact ring

Multi-strand high-purity copper center conductor

Heavy-duty 56-strand outer shield protected by an aircraft-grade aluminum shell

Red and White marking bands for easy Left and Right designation

Resilient, elegant cotton-braided jacket forms the fifth layer of the RFI shield and protects against scuffing and chaffing and provides easy handling.

https://www.amazon.com/SVS-SoundPath-1M-RCA-Interconnect/dp/B0197UUKUS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518671251&sr=8-2&keywords=svs+rca+cable

6 hours ago, rebuy said:

Do Not install those wires in the wrong direction becuse when you play music

you'll hear a Giant Sucking Sound.

No the music plays backwards and you hear the devil speaking to you like on Stairway to Heaven.

Directional cables are nothing new. At least the claim or annotations on the cables and the salesmen back in the day when audio boutiques thrived giving you their pitch. Enjoy!