What I Got Today!

Brac

2 hours ago, Schu said:

Sweet!

What do you think so far?

Have you tried any 5.1 music?

It's pretty feature packed, dont be intimidated by the flexibility of the unit... pure direct is your friend.

Haven't gotten to play around with it much, but it's very similar to my SC-05 in operation. Sounded good, but I only played around with it for a few minutes before going back to work. Popped in my Fleetwood Mac "The Dance" DVD for a few tracks for the 5.1 audio. I'm leaving work in a few minutes and will be playing around with it when I get home. Will do a MCACC room correction as well. 

7 minutes ago, burninator said:

Haven't gotten to play around with it much, but it's very similar to my SC-05 in operation. Sounded good, but I only played around with it for a few minutes before going back to work. Popped in my Fleetwood Mac "The Dance" DVD for a few tracks for the 5.1 audio. I'm leaving work in a few minutes and will be playing around with it when I get home. Will do a MCACC room correction as well. 

I am pretty sure the difference between direct and pure direct is pure direct leaves in mcacc settings but strips everything else out and pure even strips out mcacc settings.

Of course you have about 20-30 other filter presets to work thru. One thing I have been playing with is (once your completely satisfied with mcacc and your room correction) to play 2.1 music in extended surround sound... it's quite good and very very satisfying with many types of orchestrated music. The processor does a great job of separation and assignment. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Schu said:

I am pretty sure the difference between direct and pure direct is pure direct leaves in mcacc settings but strips everything else out and pure even strips out mcacc settings.

Of course you have about 20-30 other filter presets to work thru. One thing I have been playing with is (once your completely satisfied with mcacc and your room correction) to play 2.1 music in extended surround sound... it's quite good and very very satisfying with many types of orchestrated music. The processor does a great job of separation and assignment. 

Playing "Brothers In Arms" by Dire Straits in extended stereo right now. Very cool!

16 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Very nice photo @haydukej

Is there a compromise on the low end because the right speaker isn't in a corner?

Thanks. Best practices would say so. I just got them set up last night around 11pm where I originally had the la scalas, so I couldn't give them a proper hearing test. Putting the right channel in the actual room corner would move it about 9 feet more to the right. I'm afraid that'd it would throw my imaging too far off. I probably am looking at a false corner in the end for that guy.

I really don't have the optimal space for the khorns but I heard that wasn't a valid excuse for not having a pair.

12 minutes ago, haydukej said:

I really don't have the optimal space for the khorns but I heard that wasn't a valid excuse for not having a pair.

Very shortly, you will be telling us if having Khorns in a non-perfect room works!  :D  I'm looking forward to your opinion.

Congrats on the new speakers, and what electronics do you have planned for the Khorns?

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Very shortly, you will be telling us if having Khorns in a non-perfect room works!  :D  I'm looking forward to your opinion.

Congrats on the new speakers, and what electronics do you have planned for the Khorns?

Thanks and I will report back, although probably be starting a new thread to do so. I have a bunch of odds and sodds that I would like to solicit some opinions on to see which would be the *best road to go down.

Currently everything is running out of the Denon AVR-X4100W. I have a NAD 216THX that I think I'd like to incorporate for 2 channel listening, but I also do HT close to 50% of the time. I haven't looked at things close enough to figure if there's an easy way to do all that. I use the Oppo UDP-203 for movies. 

And then there's my "project" list, in which I'm basically just needing to find the time. Those include:

• First Watt M2 clone
  • Center channel following @billybobg's La Squatta project
  • A proper sub, probably leaning towards something in the Marty line or an F20

2 hours ago, rplace said:

Curious @haydukej how you switch between different speakers. Selector switch or pull and plug wires? BTW, congrats on Khorns. Eventually ever Klipsch fan needs at least one pair.

No active switching options at the moment that I use. My Denon does have "A" and "B" options so I could implement that. Prior to last night I had the La Scalas as L/R and a RC-35 for the center with the Forte IIs as surrounds. Thanks, super excited to have them!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, haydukej said:

@EPICKLIPSCHFAN's Khorns made their migration to their new home in Kansas City last night and are getting along nicely with the others.

cool, glad they made the trip ok.  those look right at home & look very nice in your room.  i see drums off in the corner... wish you had more time i would have let you check out my drum room.  are those forte 2s up front?  would have shown you my walnut forte2 & chorus 2s too if we had more time.  next time im in KC i will definitely look you up.

thanks again for a smooth transaction!

1 hour ago, EPICKLIPSCHFAN said:

cool, glad they made the trip ok.  those look right at home & look very nice in your room.  i see drums off in the corner... wish you had more time i would have let you check out my drum room.  are those forte 2s up front?  would have shown you my walnut forte2 & chorus 2s too if we had more time.  next time im in KC i will definitely look you up.

thanks again for a smooth transaction!

Good eye, just a cheap old set. Drumming is too much like dancing for me, more of a rhythm guitarist myself. I was up in Minneapolis awhile back to pick up some hereseys and ended up with those oiled oak Fortes2 instead. Their not sequential, but they sound great. Yeah let me know if you're ever travelling through.

19 hours ago, haydukej said:

Good eye, just a cheap old set. Drumming is too much like dancing for me, more of a rhythm guitarist myself.

thats funny!  i just play for fun, mostly self taught, but i can play along to most of your basic classic rock songs etc... but far better at drums than dancing!

tag me if you do a new thread on the K-horns, would like to follow any changes or upgrades they get.