What I Got Today!

Brac

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Tim guided me in on an XPA-5 a couple of weeks ago.  I couldn't be happier with the new amp, the 200 wpc makes the CF-4's sing! 

That pic is funny, I have never seen anyone use a HTR used like that. :emotion-21:

Many people have a problem with that brand but the 3 pieces I have tried were as good or better than most out there. For amps they use really nice power supply transformer, this is on there little 50 wpc $219 amp.

mwm a100_miniX.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

We have a new verb as I got tea-manned as well!

Tim guided me in on an XPA-5 a couple of weeks ago.  I couldn't be happier with the new amp, the 200 wpc makes the CF-4's sing! 

Small 00001.jpg

Love the gen 1 XPA-5! I use one with an MC-700 to power my RF-7II system.

7 minutes ago, dtel said:

That pic is funny, I have never seen anyone use a HTR used like that. :emotion-21:

Many people have a problem with that brand but the 3 pieces I have tried were as good or better than most out there. For amps they use really nice power supply transformer, this is on there little 50 wpc $219 amp.

mwm a100_miniX.png

The A-100 is an awesome unit, especially for the price. I use one as a portable system with my KP-2500-Cs when needed. It's setup in the garage at the moment.

4 minutes ago, dtel said:

I'm running out of room!  I use that layout while I'm experimenting with cables.  ALL of us have had to lean over amps and try to read upside down while swapping cables.  This just makes it easy to go OVER the XPA-5 then SIDEWAYS to the Onk 717.

That is my Mancave/computer near-field setup.  I use the CF-4's almost as headphones.  :D

Not pictured is dual monitors, then further to the left is a couple of small TV's so I can watch  two basketball games at the same time. 

Small 00002.jpg

• Moderators

I remember seeing a pic of the room, speakers overhead and to the left and right,  looks like a mad scientist setup, pretty cool looking.

Back when they came out I wanted an XPA 5 really bad but I needed to change out other things so I never did. Now the AVR I'm using has enough power so it's good enough, mostly 2 ch here anyway.

8 minutes ago, burninator said:

The A-100 is an awesome unit, especially for the price. I use one as a portable system with my KP-2500-Cs when needed. It's setup in the garage at the moment.

I had a problem with a Crown D75 I (40wpc) I was using, it takes 2 of them, 4 channels needed and I didn't want to used different amps. So USNRET had a couple of the A-100's and he gave a good price so I tried them thinking I would go back to the Crowns or something else later ?

I might just use these A-100's, they are sounding really good and more power than I really need, I know that's sounds crazy but the speakers are crazy efficient, over 110db 1 watt.

With speakers that efficient if there was distortion, or any kind of hum I would definitely hear it in those big horns but it's dead quiet and sounds as good as the D-75 which have really good spec's with distortion. You just can't go by fancy name brand name or high prices, you need to try something to know if it's any good. Me I would rather find all the great deals out there without the high prices that go together and sound amazing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dtel said:

You just can't go by fancy name brand name or high prices, you need to try something to know if it's any good. Me I would rather find all the great deals out there without the high prices that go together and sound amazing.

Agree, that is Me also.

My problem is twofold, first it's hard to find deals on electronics and I also worry that something will go wrong and then I've bought an electronic brick.

I try to minimize my financial risk by buying used electronics at a price that if it blew up I wouldn't like it but I could take the loss or be able to spend a limited amount to get it repaired.  My number for amps, AVR's etc is $400.

57 minutes ago, burninator said:

Everybody needs a nice minimalist 50 watt amp and that one is high quality.  The A-100 is class A/B and is way above anything I ever had.  I used to have a nice little 15 wpc amp for $34 I got from Parts-express.  I gave it away with a pair of Overnight Sensations.

I would pick one up the next time one comes up cheap on the used market.

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

My problem is twofold, first it's hard to find deals on electronics and I also worry that something will go wrong and then I've bought an electronic brick.

Your right, but I have to say I have been very luck, with the help of some nice people here.

Last pilgrimage a guy was selling some stuff so I tried a used AVR for $100 just because it had HDMI, it turned out to have a great sound, better than many I have heard so I still use it. Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS, it sounds so good if I change it will be an updated newer version.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I'm running out of room! 

Uh I know what your saying, I am out of room.The only way I could fit more is if it replaces something.

1 hour ago, burninator said:

This how they are being used, active and bi-amped, it's the 4 channels needed, DX-38 underneath them, all sitting on the sub, I'm of out room, no choice. Had to mount the TV on the wall just to have a place for electronics. That's the center channel out in front of the sub, it can roll off to the side when not needed.

It's getting out of control, no room left on the back wall in a 24' wide room. 

mwm.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 3/2/2018 at 3:33 PM, wvu80 said:

We have a new verb as I got tea-manned as well!

Small 00001.jpg

DO NOT LET YOUR WIFE GO IN HERE

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, K5SS said:

In your case, being out of room, appears to be a VERY good thing!

Oh I'm not complaining, just was thinking about it after seeing WVU80's room. Was talking with the wife the other day about the 396 speaker, we both like them, it ended with us both not even knowing where we would put them or how they could be used here.

1 minute ago, dtel said:

Oh I'm not complaining, just was thinking about it after seeing WVU80's room. Was talking with the wife the other day about the 396 speaker, we both like them, it ended with us both not even knowing where we would put them or how they could be used here.

Tiki bar.  But you probably have that covered.  The 396 with a major league sub woofer is a formidable array.

• Moderators

That's true, but there are some old beater Heresy's painted with exterior house paint, out in the bar and it sounds nice. With the 396 cost I couldn't sleep knowing they were out in the yard even under a roof.

I like them by themselves but with a good sub it is kind of shocking. Carl uses this setup for his garage and I would bet money it sounds better than his inside setup.

I don't know what it is but it's a great speaker, you can go through all the different models and some just stand out above the rest, the 396 is one of them. It's the only klipsch I don't have that I would want, no use for any of the others.