What I Got Today!

Brac

What I got today after driving an hour one-way to listen to a new tube amp in a showroom?? A total moron putting me in a nice cushy leather recliner in a room w/lthe amp, a $5k pair of B+W's and a turntable.  He told me he'd start the LP (Neil Young-Harvest) and work with his other customer while I listened.  Cool beans, I can relax and get gassed up!  One minor problem though...  About a minute and a half in there was a deep scratch, which was just hammering those B+W's.  I got up and turned the volume down just before he came running into the room.  End of the show...  If you want to give me a $1k deposit now I can order your gear he said...  Now on the upside...  He did give me the same info printed out that I'd been reading on line!  The real bonus though???  He gave me his business card, which I put into the fishbowl at a nearby Red Lobster where I did lunch...  How's he gonna eat???  That's what I got today!  :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

I got up and turned the volume down just before he came running into the room.  End of the show... 

I'm not quite sure of the issue, Dave.  I know you turned the amp down due to the scratched up record (sales guy should have known the record was scratched before setting it up for you) but why did he come running into the room?  Was he afraid you weren't smart enough to use the volume control?

Or were you upset because was he being pushy asking for a big deposit?

• Like 1

Actually, a little of both.  He KNEW I'd never heard the amp/pre and gave me a minute and a half then end of the show is right...  No other LP, THEN wanted me to give him 1k to order my gear.  The deposit didn't matter but the audacity to ask so fast did kind of torque me out of shape.  He only had one amp and one preamp on the floor and no stock.  That's a rep for someone?   Maybe it's just me!  hahaha

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

The deposit didn't matter but the audacity to ask so fast did kind of torque me out of shape. 

I see your point. 

It might have been nice if he would have at least asked "how did you enjoy the amp, sir?"  And maybe followed up with "is there some other LP you would care to audition, sir?  Take your time, I know it's important to listen to see if our amp might be a good fit for your musical preferences."

"Sir!"  :lol:

• Like 2

Pfffft to the Sir stuff...  Bottom line was, he didn't say squat about anything.  No other offer of an LP.  It was all in the same breath.  Sure the area is upscale in Cbus, Ohio but people can't be so dumb and just say "yes" so fast or can they???  The lack of any other of the products was also disheartening.  I knew in the minute and a half that's what I wanted though and pretty much knew before I went in what I was going to do.  I'm not that transparent though...  Gimme the money and I'll see ya when I see ya doesn't cut it with me! Oh well...  :)

4 hours ago, etc6849 said:

A custom PC case to match my amps.

Front.jpg.868ae1472a33b7743c9c903eaff7bddf.jpg

Nice job matching those beautiful amps~

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Nice!

I'm not familiar with all your amplifier goodness.  Can you give me the guided tour?

They will bring tears to your eyes ,ears, and Wallet :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

True.  They are Benchmark AHB2 amps and the speaker processors are Xilica XD4080s.  I'm doing FIR filtering for actively tri-amping some P-39f's, and also cross to 5 subs.

It is like any hobby...  I could have bought a sports car, but instead buy used cars with cash and finance my audio gear.

6 hours ago, Gnote said:

Nice job matching those beautiful amps~

They will bring tears to your eyes ,ears, and Wallet :lol:

9 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I see your point. 

It might have been nice if he would have at least asked "how did you enjoy the amp, sir?"  And maybe followed up with "is there some other LP you would care to audition, sir?  Take your time, I know it's important to listen to see if our amp might be a good fit for your musical preferences."

"Sir!"  :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Got this bad boy on clearance, with a member discount, and some annual dividend funds to drop my out of pocket cash price even further. Kicking off the family camping season next weekend!

https://www.rei.com/product/762575/marmot-halo-6-tent

Looks nice, sure has great reviews.

• Like 1

I got the child thrill of  ----

OK , Sunday, when the granddaughter was here, I was showing her some flower buds. Telling her that when she cam Friday they would be open. We had an impromptu visit Wednesday. They were just starting to split into individual flower buds.

5abecfbd3d9f0_DSCF0263(2).thumb.JPG.08a6d9c3544ccd8d4918d2516ea74c2d.JPG

as soon as she got here. She ran to see.

"PaBill, PaBill my pink flowers are in the sun room!!!"

made my day

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Got this bad boy on clearance, with a member discount, and some annual dividend funds to drop my out of pocket cash price even further. Kicking off the family camping season next weekend!

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/132962/marmot-halo-6p-tent

Nice, any privacy in that thing ???  :lol:

7 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Wife and I used to work for REI in Washington State.

18 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I figured you for an in tents kind of guy.  Enjoy your camping weekend.