What I Got Today!

Brac

1 hour ago, yamahaSHO said:

Bought some La Scala's from this board...  The location of them just happened to be in the same area of California as a good friend of mine.  He picked them up for me and will bring them out next time he comes home to visit Colorado.  Looking forward to getting them and upgrading them a bit (plus refinishing them), but it appears that some mix and matching had already happened on these.  My buddy was told they've sat in the same spot (living room) for the last 25 years, when he picked them up.  :)

The serial number indicates they were built in 1978.

30166905778_4b4259f73e_b.jpg

43316382834_534c67ce3d_b.jpg

30166905138_3d8d8689aa_b.jpg

43316381894_37ef37f109_b.jpg

43129159165_5b7bf3b8a9_b.jpg

K-55 has been replaced..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Tired of pushing an acre or paying $2,000 / year for people that don't fix the problem.

I know what you mean......I was home once when my lawn guy come out last year.....he was on my lawn for just over 2 and a half minutes......$70 .00......

This year.......I do it my self.

George

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yamahaSHO said:
2 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

The aa networks

Correct.  :)

Now I am trying to decide if I want to swap to the new K-77-F setup and a new AL-3 or AA from Crites, or a Crites tweeter and a A/4500 crossover...

I just saw the pics and my first reaction was "not 1978, K-55M is wrong and the AL XO is wrong."

Are you sure the previous owner swapped out the AA for the AL?  That would be very unusual, especially if the owner was so conservative to leave them in the same spot for a quarter of a century.  I would be more likely to think these are later than 1978 since the AA ran from 1972-82.  There's a story here which has yet to be explained.

I ran the A/4500 in my Khorns and a non-typical tweeter on top of the speaker.  I don't know what is "best" but the A/4500 is a good one, I don't know about the CT-120 or CT-125, best to ask others.

45 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I just saw the pics and my first reaction was "not 1978, K-55M is wrong and the AL XO is wrong."

Are you sure the previous owner swapped out the AA for the AL?  That would be very unusual, especially if the owner was so conservative to leave them in the same spot for a quarter of a century.  I would be more likely to think these are later than 1978 since the AA ran from 1972-82.  There's a story here which has yet to be explained.

I ran the A/4500 in my Khorns and a non-typical tweeter on top of the speaker.  I don't know what is "best" but the A/4500 is a good one, I don't know about the CT-120 or CT-125, best to ask others.

The serial number has an "S" in it, which tells me 1978.

I can't really ask the previous owner as they were sold because he is no longer with us.

19 minutes ago, yamahaSHO said:

I can't really ask the previous owner as they were sold because he is no longer with us.

I remember you said the sn was 1978 so I knew you had the correct year.  I guess the only issue you have now is what updates to do.

I've never heard of anybody updating an older model to an AL-3 but I guess you could.  It's more typical to go straight to the A/4500 and the tweeter of your choice.  The A/4500 is basically a Type A with a 4500 Hz XO instead of the OEM 6000 XO.

Whatever you do it will be an improvement over the AL.

8 hours ago, wvu80 said:

7 hours ago, yamahaSHO said:

But the tweeter is correct...

And not the square magnet...

At one time evidently you could do a factory update to a K55M with a AK2 and the K 77 tweeter was left as original for the KHorn . I bought 1979 Khorns from original owner that was updated like this and I suspect similar update was offered for the LaScala in the late 80s to early 90s

miketn

• Thanks 1

I don't have this just yet, but hoping to go look-see-touch-hear it tomorrow.  a local guy here posted a Carver M1.5t for what seems to be a very reasonable price.  says it's hooked up, can hear it play etc.  I've been looking at mostly multi-channel amps for HT system, but this one, at this price, is too good to pass up.  so hopefully it comes home tomorrow to give it a try.

3 hours ago, -js- said:

I don't have this just yet, but hoping to go look-see-touch-hear it tomorrow.  a local guy here posted a Carver M1.5t for what seems to be a very reasonable price.  says it's hooked up, can hear it play etc.  I've been looking at mostly multi-channel amps for HT system, but this one, at this price, is too good to pass up.  so hopefully it comes home tomorrow to give it a try.

Go get it 😀

• Like 1

15 hours ago, -js- said:

I hope this woks out for you. I'm a big Carver fan with Klipsch. Today should be the arrival of my 4th completely refurbished amp from @paul79 at Many Moons Audio.  My TFM 25 amps have never sounded better and Paul is a great guy to deal with. If your M1.5t ever needs a spa visit give Paul/Many Moons a yell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rplace said:

I hope this woks out for you. I'm a big Carver fan with Klipsch. Today should be the arrival of my 4th completely refurbished amp from @paul79 at Many Moons Audio.  My TFM 25 amps have never sounded better and Paul is a great guy to deal with. If your M1.5t ever needs a spa visit give Paul/Many Moons a yell.

nice.  thanks for the recommendation.  hoping to "flex" my work schedule today so I can bolt across town & co-mingle what I want to do with what others expect me to do.  would have taken off yesterday to go grab it but had already made plans with the GF (now fiance btw 😀) so had to manage priorities.  you guys know how that goes 🙂.  looking fwd to getting this in my hands & bringing home my new toy!

• Like 1