What I Got Today!

Brac

4 hours ago, joessportster said:

Your tube Hiss might only be audible because your speakers are so Effecient, Mine are 97db effecient and could mask some tube hiss.

I think that definitely part of it... it's not bad at all and quite manageable, it's just not comparable to the blackness of a class D amp.

When I first hooked it up there was alot of hiss it was 1 of the tubes  I went through touching each tube and found the culprit replaced it and one of the other tubes went at the same time so had to replace it as well. That made it nice and quiet. I was shocked how quiet and it sounded pretty dam good as well. After about 2 hours on certain passages of music I could hear vocals breaking up always in the same spot on the track.  I adjusted the source output wheels for AUX and that  eased the breaking up. I am positive it is a tube breaking up being microphonic at certain freq but there are 15 tubes on this thing so who knows which one that would be ?  At any rate while it sounds very good  my TRUTH pre amp is more neutral / transparent and allows the VRD to shine.

Put in RCA blackplates in the 6u8 spots

Set it up in my Tractor Shed connected to a 30 Amp 220 breaker, Now when  the power goes out I can just flip a couple breakers and maintain power in everything except Hot water heater and HVAC........................I have a 110 window air to keep 1 room cool if things get to bad.  Elec start is nice :) 

Thanks I always try to air on the side of safety. We are not on the coast but close enough if a Hurricane hits we do get winds and a lot of rain which always seems to = power outages. We keep our 2 freezers packed with food / meat in the past I used a small generator and ran extension cords to the freezers that gets old quickly.  This monster will run the whole house and would probably run the HVAC & Water Heater I dont like the possible surges / fluctuations with generators and the chance that could cause damage to EXPENSIVE appliances TV, PC, Stereo.  I dont mind unplugging those items and killing the breakers on the appliances. At least we can have fresh water from the well, lights through out, Ceiling fans, and I have a plan to keep 1 room cool with a 110 window unit AC.  Not Ideal but hell of a lot better than a lot of folks.

• Like 1

Not exactly today, but all this week.Two packages (24 panels total) of Owens Corning 703 acoustic fiberglass insulation. Still waiting on the Guilford of Maine fabric to wrap all of these, but I have started on some of the background panels in my recently converted dedicated home theater space. The wall panels are covered in Royalty Black Velvet for zero light reflections and constructed of 2" frames for a flush look with the screen and future acoustic panel placements. 

• Like 1

And there is more. The new brains of the operation. Denon AVR-X4400H directly off the display shelf in the Best Buy Magnolia Design Center and is now sitting on my shelf. I have had too many frustrations with the Onkyo hdmi not playing nice with my other pieces. New things I am looking forward to playing around with that even my up the ladder but slightly older AVR-X6200W does not have are:

DTS Virtual:X

whole home audio integration

smart home integration

Amazon Alexa voice control

Heos built in

Audyssey xt32 multiEQ editor app

AirPlay2

5.6MHZ high resolution audio streaming

AL32 processing

Auro 3D built in

Tidal/ Spotify/ Amazon Music/ iHeart Radio/ Napster/ Soundcloud/ Mood Mix built in

Image result for denon x4400h images

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

And there is more. The new brains of the operation. Denon AVR-X4400H directly off the display shelf in the Best Buy Magnolia Design Center and is now sitting on my shelf. I have had too many frustrations with the Onkyo hdmi not playing nice with my other pieces. New things I am looking forward to playing around with that even my up the ladder but slightly older AVR-X6200W does not have are:

DTS Virtual:X

whole home audio integration

smart home integration

Amazon Alexa voice control

Heos built in

Audyssey xt32 multiEQ editor app

AirPlay2

5.6MHZ high resolution audio streaming

AL32 processing

Auro 3D built in

Tidal/ Spotify/ Amazon Music/ iHeart Radio/ Napster/ Soundcloud/ Mood Mix built in

Image result for denon x4400h images

Good luck on tweeking . I figure there are over a trillion possible combinations on that unit of settings for your audio pleasure.

JJK

• Like 1

SCHIIIIIIIT!  I'm pretty much amazed at what happened today so far.  Mani delivered by FedEx's driver who lugged the PrimaLuna in for me.  Promised him lighter days then and so far so good.  Ha!  30 minutes later (if that) I was up and running.  Dipsticks set right?  Check!  Cables right?  Check!  Power ON before hitting the amp?  Check!  All plugged in?  Check!  Dust cover off?  Check! OK now what in the H@&L do I play?  I seriously just STOOD there looking TOTALLY stupid!  My first system was in the late 60's or so and I ran ESS Heil speakers (Beatles something),  early 80's it was Infinity Reference Standards (The Wall was just released), now FINALLY followed my first love La Scala's and PrimaLuna tubes?  Yea, ok...  They ALL say tubes are the Schiit's so let's see...  Walked over and pulled the FIRST album that laid there calling my name on top of the pile I've been sorting...  Don Henly "Building the Perfect Beast" cause I thought Sunset Grill should sound great...  Dropped the Karma cartridge on the Linn, turned up the volume and flopped on the couches sweet spot...  Yea, sports fans the old guys jaw totally dropped!  One side was enough so then grabbed Phil Collins, amazed then it was time to break out the #1 LP on the planet forever...  No not Moby Grape but Floyd's Dark Side...  Just finished a Magical Mystery Tour, which it has been...  Now it's Tedeschi Trucks "Revelator" side 1 w/"Midnite in Harlem" on it...Don't worry @Deang I'm being good to those sweet networks you built me.  You tolerated my insanity so well and I've honestly tried to be a good listener!  lolol   Good God guys I don't know where to start with the Thank You's!  Blessed to call you ALL my friends!   BTW Susan Tedeschi has a voice....  Yay me and Thank You ALL again!  :)

IMG_20180919_105135325.jpg

• Like 3

Bourbon should be given the knod if you buy a pair of Forte I or better with a recap that you are content with.....   If not, update your preamp and or amp to a MODERN setup with decent wiring and you will be blown.   Yes I said it MODERN.   Let's hear it?  Who thinks 20 years foward of engineering has no merit?