What I Got Today!

Brac

1 hour ago, Emile said:

OK; did not buy anything for about a week ... could not resist any longer :)  A (German) PatheWings case for my Marantz 1060.  

Yeah ... long story ... had a museum quality 1060; then got a tube amp, so sold it ... but the 1060 was better than the VTA-70 tube amp ... haha; sold it and bought another 1060 ... no wood case, so bought one :D On the way from Germany :) 

s-l1600.jpg

BTW ... these guys supposedly make very nice Marantz cases (and maybe some others also).  Usually they are $200, but sometimes they put some up for auction on FleaBay. Haha ... got it for $120 :D  

Cheers, Emile

You know it ain't easy to make cases like that kind of quality for the discerning audiophile.

JJK (The artist in me)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 and STI-500V2 integrated Amplifier.   Digital is very clean, with very black background and iron fisted control over the bass.   I love the sound but I have always felt digital amps Gloss over the high end a bit (soften).   So far so good.  

20181018_170549.jpg

20181018_170601.jpg

=== agree on both fronts as the Wyred gear offers a lot of value. I still wonder if selling the Wyred mAmps monos was a good move.

I still found even well respected Class D designs fell short of better Class A. Class A brings great transparency where it seems Class D is more opaque in presentation. Seems our impressions are similar. Nice gear.

• Thanks 1

Personally, I feel there a quite a few people thay would like the trade off. Listener fatigue is a terrible thing and the better class D amps are extremely smooth and invite you to listen all day, yet still Gloss over the top end a bit IMO.  They have the detail, it is just veiled a bit.   I loved the sound of the last wyred 4 Sound Amp I had, so I took the plunge.   Doesn't help that I am listening to entirely new system at once, but we will see.   So far I feel the trade offs are favorable.  

• Like 1

I would say it sounds between what some might called a typical dry sterile solid state sound and a warm, fleshed out midrange tube sound.   Def trade offs with digital IMO, but i decided to try out this setup after loving my last amp from them.   Will report back after some time with them, perhaps in another thread. 

1 hour ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Very different.   Best I can do with quick words on paper.   No tube amp I have ever heard has the control that the digital amps do over the bass.   Tubes amp sound MUCH better in the mids IMO.   Highs are also softened, but sound  quite different... 

I really can't disagree with this.

Could be.   I have heard plenty a McIntosh amp/Preamp combo but admittedly, none of them was ever with klipsch or any horn loaded speaker for that matter.   McIntosh is generally above my pay grade which is why I have never given them a go in any of my systems.   For my $$$, spending more on a preamp than on my main speakers surpasses the point of diminishing returns.  I'm sure they sound amazing.   

I haven't ever, nor will I ever say that Mcintosh (or any other brand for that matter) is the holy grail of anything.  My comments are purely my own and are SUBJECTIVE based on over 55 years of experience listening to everything from vinyl to 8 track to cassette to CD, etc, etc, etc, and from Radio Shack to Bose to Klipsch and others.  There is no such thing as objective hearing....it's all in your mind.

• Like 2

=== a B2 Stealth bomber fly over directly over the house. NASCAR race day at Kansas Speedway, only about 15 miles from us. They usually fly a couple older fighters or several times, Warthogs. I was actually waiting outside as more often then not they fly over the track then turn in our direction as they head back to Whiteman Airbase. Wife came outside said a Stealth just flew over the track and sure as shite I hear it coming. And I mean a direct fly over - had we been the target, well —-. And you can hear them for several minutes after they pass over - this ain’t no Southwest 737. These babies rumble —  . Damn kool — 

• Like 1