What I Got Today!

Brac

Thanks to @DizRotus    Neil, I now have an h/k 730 in my living room, powering my jbl 4311s. Since you were talking about west coast low end rumble. These aren't meant to be on the floor, espe ially since I have them inverted to get the tweeters on top.

Sounds great and I can now get my 630 serviced.

Thanks Neil!

IMG_20190119_3224.jpg

• Like 4

Hey there WestCoast, why change out the driver?   It looks fine,  has a great surround (treated paper) and is designed for that enclosure...  It would be like me changing out the original woofers in my '65 Klipschorns, not broke, don't wreck it...   If your bass speaker can  go down below 20Hz, that should be enough for most music...   no?  :blush:

Marvel, my neighbor has that same receiver !   Still works perfectly with NO maintenance that I know of....   Enjoy  🍷

1 minute ago, Tigerman said:

Hey there WestCoast, why change out the driver?   It looks fine,  has a great surround (treated paper) and is designed for that enclosure...  It would be like me changing out the original woofers in my '65 Klipschorns, not broke, don't wreck it...   If your bass speaker can  go down below 20Hz, that should be enough for most music...   no?  :blush:

Marvel, my neighbor has that same receiver !   Still works perfectly with NO maintenance that I know of....   Enjoy  🍷

Interested in a more beastly driver for the enclosure if it makes sense.   If it does not, so be it.   I figure it wouldn't cost much if it made sense to do so.   

1 minute ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Interested in a more beastly driver for the enclosure if it makes sense.   If it does not, so be it.   I figure it wouldn't cost much if it made sense to do so.   

Ok, let me know what you pick out, and don't buy anything with a FOAM surround.   Happy hunting :emotion-21:

• Thanks 1

Added to my library. I know physical media is almost dead but I still prefer watching/listening my favorites on a disc. Local pawn shops had all these for $10/ea. and even threw in 2 free movies, since I bought so many. Not bad at all!

cf07c11caa81031070d46a9cbc039923.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, K5SS said:

Added to my library. I know physical media is almost dead but I still prefer watching/listening my favorites on a disc. Local pawn shops had all these for $10/ea. and even threw in 2 free movies, since I bought so many. Not bad at all!

Very nice find. I am right there with you in preferences. I have been buying physical movie disks at a feverish pace ever since audio CD's were pulled from retail store shelves. I have added approx. 175 titles to my collection in 2018 alone.

• Like 2

I just received a new to me pair of Heresy Gen 1 from Larry (Scallywagger77) and they look fantastic.

Both K-77 DOA though, seems to be a way too common occurrence. Out of three pair of Gen 1 Heresys only a single speaker arrived with working tweeters. Looks like I will be getting Crites. Will more than likely replace my other idle pair of K-77M with Crites at the same time. So bummed though, after their long haul here from down south. At least it is only bad diaphragms, which can replaced. 

At its best, this is a great forum because of its great and active members.  IMO, the occasional sarcastic trolling troublemakers are easily ignored.  I prefer to use such unpleasantness to magnify the comparatively good qualities of most here.

@Rivernuggets I hope you're still enjoying the h/k 430 my son sold to you.  It's somewhat of the butterfly effect, but without your initial recommendation of Dale as someone able and willing to refurbish h/k X30 receivers, Bruce @Marvel would not now have the 730 shown above.  During the course of several years dealing with Dale, I traded my beloved modified Dynaco tube gear for refurbishment service on several h/k X30s.  The availability of serviced Harman Kardon Twin Powered X30 receivers made it easy to wean myself from the heat, distortion, and idiosyncracies of tube gear.  My recent adoption of Class D amps (Wiener TPA3118 and TI TPA3255EVM) has made it easier to send my last h/k 730 to a new home,

Charles @Allhartfidelity saw my post inquiring of Dave @Mallette regarding the playback of 78s.  He generously offered a serviceable Dual 1229 for the cost of shipping.  That generous offer prompted me to pay it forward regarding the 730.  I was pleased that Bruce was the first in line for that offer.  Once my Millenial sons, nephews, and nieces passed on the receiver -- "No Bluetooth? How 80s.” -- it was Bruce's.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I hope you're still enjoying the h/k 430 my son sold to you.

👍    Yes, it gets rotated in among others in our (unfinished) basement listening room.  

I also traded gear for receiver restoration with Dale. Great guy. Must reconnect with him.

14 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

The availability of serviced Harman Kardan Twin Power X30 receivers made it easy to wean myself from the heat, distortion, and idiosyncracies of tube gear.

Well said. Those are the reasons I moved away from tubes.

19 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Once my Millenial sons, nephews, and nieces passed on the receiver -- "No Bluetooth?

Any receiver can be adapted into receiving a Bluetooth signal using something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/B06-Plus-Bluetooth-Receiver-Streaming/dp/B078J3GTRK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

18 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

At its best, this is a great forum because of its great and active members.

Yes!

Congrats on the 730 Bruce.

-Lyle

1 hour ago, Rivernuggets said:

Congrats on the 730 Bruce. 

Thanks!

I already had a 630 I got from Neil a few years ago. My younger son got it when he was in school at Valparaiso U. (reminds me how long it's been since he has graduated and married). The one I just pulled out I bought from another forum member. It needs caps replaced and new lights. It arrived wrapped in a bath towel and surrounded with styrofoam peanuts. Just the opposite with the one from Neil. It came packed well with stiff foam board...

I love the 730, with two aux inputs, being able to separate the pre and power sections, etc.

Bruce

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very cool you furnished your son with good gear while at school.

Both my sons (11 and 4) have decent stereo set ups in their rooms. Panasonic SA-XR57s with KSB 2.1 in one and KSB 3.1 in the other. Plenty of room for upgrading if they want.

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

I love the 730, with two aux inputs, being able to separate the pre and power sections, etc.

Yeah a lot of options considering it's 40+ years old. 

• Like 2

I upgraded my Epic system to the RF-7iii system and thought I would share a few photos.  The front two and rear two mains are RF-7iii’s, the center is an RC-64iii, 502s surrounds, 500sa Atmos speakers and two PB-16 ultra’s for bass management.  Powered by a Denon 8500 receiver.  

A1373236-F9B9-44A9-A281-FE5DCDDB27DE.jpeg

80AD92C1-2C1A-4DE2-928A-CC1CA7F42897.jpeg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, sabeous said:

I upgraded my Epic system to the RF-7iii system and thought I would share a few photos.  The front two and rear two mains are RF-7iii’s, the center is an RC-64iii, 502s surrounds, 500sa Atmos speakers and two PB-16 ultra’s for bass management.  Powered by a Denon 8500 receiver.  

A1373236-F9B9-44A9-A281-FE5DCDDB27DE.jpeg

80AD92C1-2C1A-4DE2-928A-CC1CA7F42897.jpeg

Vey nice.  If there was a light on in the room I MAY be able to see what you were talking about.   Nice system.