What I Got Today!

Brac

1 minute ago, finallygotmyheresies said:

As a fan of that speaker I ask that you don't paint them black and leave them as is. But they are yours, do as you please 😀 

I just really like the industrial look with the unfinished cab and black metal grill. Painting the cabs black would make them far less unique. Nice score!

OK you do know I am talking about just painting my MAHL tweeter lens and not the whole thing? No way would I cover that wood with stuff.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Dave A said:

You mean you never recapped them? They will sound better if you do I can assure you. All the old mylar and oil can capacitors I have measured are at the very least high ESR and capacitance normally has drifted too.

The KP-201's are from the early 2000's, so no I didn't recap them. I do however, have different crossovers in my '88 La Scalas.

8 hours ago, Dave A said:

All the old mylar and oil can capacitors I have measured are at the very least high ESR and capacitance normally has drifted too.

If only it were that simple. I have tested some high ESR caps that still sounded mighty sweet. Paul was very good at what he did and those old oil can caps did something almost magical for the speakers where they were employed. Especially the A and AA networks it seemed. Yeah, I've replaced several of them over the years with newer cap technologies like Sonicap, but believe it or not something was lost in those changes.

On 4/30/2019 at 12:42 PM, Pete H said:

I'm not familiar at all with that driver, so as not to sound ignorant, is that a direct replacement driver for the K-79?  

With his horn I believe so.  There's a different horn to be used with that driver for the K-77 also.

Got lucky last June. The guy who played the father on the TV show Frasier, John Mahoney, was the uncle of the local large auction house so when he died, they had his sale. They sold  his stuff which went to an international audience online. I saw this in the sale bill and surfed it up. https://www.lumens.com/arco-floor-lamp-by-flos-PAAAIAPEMFGNDCAJ.html#cgid=66&&tileIndex=9
Evidently no one else did as I got it for $225. It is beautifully designed and executed and doesn't offend the Khorns

https://sullivanauctioneers.proxibid.com/Sullivan-Auctioneers-LLC/John-Mahoney-No-Reserve-Estate-Auction/event-catalog/145511

• Like 1