What I Got Today!

Brac

On 5/29/2019 at 2:28 PM, Emile said:

Kenwood Basic M2 (220wpc) and Basic C2 preamp :D Bought it to give my CF-3's a little more power :) Haha; should give me 120dB (small room)

image.jpeg.93bb967c0aa79a92d5c1632e6fdd69da.jpeg

That power amp with the red and black looks like the old Yamaha ones did, if it sounds like one of those I hope you know how to repair stucco!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just the i3... frankly, I don't know why you would need the i7 processor.

So far I have been VERY satisfied in comparrison to the MANY computer based set ups I have tried to implement over the years. It's the best integration I have heard in my system. I am really getting to like roon and it has a built in dsp for all kinds of filters you can use or create... but for now I am just listening flat. I got this unit specifically because I can run an i2s connector that allows for separation of clock and metadata. I need to try it with coax to see if there is any change.

That being said... I still think physical media and  player (oppo) directly into DAC is superior. With the other systems I have tried I could definitely hear granularity in the form of jitter or distortion... not so with the MS. The sound is extremely smooth and liquid,  but it somewhat  bloated in comparison to straight physical media set up..  it's just different. I also think the physical media set up is much more focused and resolved... but the server set up is wider, kind of like surround sound.

I don't think I would have paid full retail... I got a smoking deal with the player and SSD upgrade for under 2k.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just the i3... frankly, I don't know why you would need the i7 processor.

So far I have been VERY satisfied in comparrison to the MANY computer based set ups I have tried to implement over the years. It's the best integration I have heard in my system. I am really getting to like roon and it has a built in dsp for all kinds of filters you can use or create... but for now I am just listening flat. I got this unit specifically because I can run an i2s connector that allows for separation of clock and metadata. I need to try it with coax to see if there is any change.

That being said... I still think physical media and  player (oppo) directly into DAC is superior. With the other systems I have tried I could definitely hear granularity in the form of jitter or distortion... not so with the MS. The sound is extremely smooth and liquid,  but it somewhat  bloated in comparison to straight physical media set up..  it's just different. I also think the physical media set up is much more focused and resolved... but the server set up is wider, kind of like surround sound.

I don't think I would have paid full retail... I got a smoking deal with the player and SSD upgrade for under 2k.

does it have a linear psu ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Schu said:

So far I have been VERY satisfied in comparrison to the MANY computer based set ups I have tried to implement over the years

In your quest, did you try MAC Mini with Channel D Pure Music, to the DAC, to the amps, to speakers? I have not tried media with a player.

I'm interested with using the 2s connector, currently using USB from MAC Mini to the DAC

I did try a Mac based laptop... it didn't have anything on a Windows or Android. They were all about the same and produced a similar sound depending on what was being used as the playback software.

Currently, in my set up nothing can beat start physical media to dac... even though a HD is just another disc. I think it's all the other stuff having to run or running on a pc based system... but the wyred is close, or at least different. I am sure an auralic would be as good if not better, but I want to use an external dac and I don't want to spend 4500$ on a maybe.

Rodney... I do t think it is using linear power, but it has galvanic isolation and internal parts upgrades. I am going to have to ask about the power supply... the unit for a price point for me so I really didn't have a lot of choices.

PS: confirmed... yes, proprietary in house designed linear power supply.

Here's a photo of what FedEx delivered to my front stoop yesterday. This will be a mono enclosure that I designed for the vintage Jensen H222 coax that my father left me.

I don't remember how I found the fellow that did the CNC work for me, but for not much more than I would have spent on the lumber alone, he cut it all out, rounded the edges of the holes, added biscuit slots and pocket screw holes, and even included the biscuits and screws. He turned it around in exactly one week, but said that's unusual because right now is his "slow" time. It's all Baltic Birch, 12mm and 19mm. So far I'm very pleased.

I don't want to violate the Forum anti-advertisement rules, so PM me if you want info about the service provider. He's in southeast Kansas. He does demand drafting-quality drawings and dimensions -- fortunately I know how to do that.

- Greg

FlatPack.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MyOwn said:

So what OS is running the unit?

Its runing roon for music categorizing and playback. The OS is a linx based online system I think. It's pretty stripped down but you can loaf and run many music apps.

• Like 1

No you did not... you purchased a 'black' system?
Holy American express black card batman!
Damping factor must be well in excess of 1000...

Yeah I did picked it up today from dealer it’s breaking in now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1