What I Got Today!

Brac

Well here's my acquisition du jour.
Don't know if you chaps would consider that a good price or not , but it's had all the work done to refurb it. I'm in the u.k so I'm used to tiny naim amps with 15wpc so hearing this hooked up to a big pair of tannoys was a bit of a culture shock. It REALLY took them by the scruff of the neck , providing all the finesse i could wish for. But also dynamics that had me ducking for cover at times. Pretty smitten with it and it'll go nicely with something i might be picking up tomorrow :) 44a2db6b24181929b93151d52bb33f67.jpg

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Edited by gazzamongo
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Plants are full Brian.  I'll probably be hollering at you before too long.  Got some cross polination going on so you might get some odd balls.  Just consider the source.

=== tee hee hee hee - he said “cross pollination” —🤨😝

20 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Nice.  I have a pair of Umax 15's, sealed 3.0 cuft flat pack, Inuke 3000dsp.

What box will you be using, and what amp?

I am installing the Umax 18's in a pair of large ported cabinets and each will have its own Dayton SA1000 Amp and external Velodyne SMS-1 DSP units.

The sealed boxes, available as flat packs, are a good deal. I imagine your pair of 15's do a great job.

• Like 2

Altec 515g -hp . available readily to you guys in the states but i don't see many here in the u.k.
What to do with them ? Volvotreter straight horn , quarter pie horn , karlson k15 ? Choices choices :D
The seller had a nice set of klipschorns too. First time id heard a pair in a domestic setting. Now wishing i was a master cabinet maker :s. 1c55b62ca057c61ba1619bb3af4829b2.jpg

32 minutes ago, gazzamongo said:

Altec 515g -hp . available readily to you guys in the states but i don't see many here in the u.k.
What to do with them ?

Here's a couple of ideas. In both cases the response of a Klipschorn with K33 is in gray.

Altec 515.png

Here's a couple of ideas. In both cases the response of a Klipschorn with K33 is in gray.

1240804282_Altec515.thumb.png.6e2eb8d3bee4d895ba75832bebeb4914.png
Very interested in the university classic design. Shame some discussions of the correct cabinet geometry ( particularly the throat ) went awry :(

Just now, gazzamongo said:

Very interested in the university classic design. Shame some discussions of the correct cabinet geometry ( particularly the throat ) went awry :(

There is no need to get the dimensions exact down to the last 1/64". Even at 1 kHz, the wavelength is still over a foot. So as long as dimensional errors are kept to fractions of an inch (even fairly large fractions of an inch), everything will be OK.

• Like 1

There is no need to get the dimensions exact down to the last 1/64". Even at 1 kHz, the wavelength is still over a foot. So as long as dimensional errors are kept to fractions of an inch (even fairly large fractions of an inch), everything will be OK.
Yeah , probably just made some sort of wrong headed assumption that if a design becomes revered , there must be some sort of black magic in the finer constructional details :D
Chances are ill either make k15's again cos i liked em , or Claude's quarter pie as its so straightforward to build.

22 minutes ago, teaman said:

62258312_10211098417616787_5977426910647418880_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_oc=AQmsBPjM7I6z6dt8gZoSz5lUZLwxAR4wl7oYHnx5ReFFqx9kuabppSdLt_KBuq-U0s45dz6PToq-czoj49tppE_4&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-2.fna&oh=873ae16c5a3db26c61eb0203b4ee205d&oe=5D90164A

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2269220603340993/

I just picked up this pair of oak KLF-20 for $300. Pretty happy with them. They sound great but there are substantial scratches, dings and small tears in the grill cloth. Overall for the price I can't complain.

Tim

Tim....you seem to find a lot of good deals....congrats.

• Like 1

Just now, Ceptorman said:

Tim....you seem to find a lot of good deals....congrats.

Thank you. I was actually out looking at condos most of the afternoon. First thing i saw when I opened FB this afternoon was this pair twenty minutes up the road from me. I figured after 8 hours of listing them, they would have been gone. Still available so I jumped on them. Guy is moving to Hawaii and is trying to take as little as possible with him

• Like 1