What I Got Today!

Brac

8 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

What is the grill cloth material?

It is a PVC coated mesh fabric from Rosebrand. Made to be outdoors and acoustically transparent. We were even able to print it to the color they wanted.

Also comes in very wide goods. We were able to do this 10 ft wide without a middle seam. Hard to tell but it is actually convex. 

rb2.JPG.ead9a9342f7a0e0725094dbaca6b188b.JPGrb.thumb.JPG.c6632a5d48451e27d34e6093b015406f.JPG

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Replacement for the 396s and the monster sub 

00e0e_gCkeX5IUAGX_1200x900.jpg

00U0U_csToiszdoG6_1200x900.jpg

Congrats. I have often wondered about the Focus. And now the prices have come down enough that they are relatively inexpensive. Which version did you get?

Shakey

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Congrats. I have often wondered about the Focus. And now the prices have come down enough that they are relatively inexpensive. Which version did you get?

Shakey

Thanks brotha.   I got the original Focus.  These are totally different animals then klipsch. Soft, sweet top end, massive bass, killer imaging and midrange.   They are volume limited even with far more power on top then they can handle.   This is good for me as it will encourage me, to listen at lower volumes as they sound great at that level.   I also got the "step one" module that was optional for these speakers.  Essentially, it's a dedicated preamp for the bass output that supposedly does some background voodoo on the bass as well to clean it up even more. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I also got the "step one" module that was optional for these speakers.  Essentially, it's a dedicated preamp for the bass output that supposedly does some background voodoo on the bass as well to clean it up even more. 

Best thing I ever did with my Focus (same model ... even the same finish) was biamp between the woofers and "everything else". It allowed me to eliminate the huge inductors in the signal path to the woofers. It's actually an easy crossover modification that is reversible.

1 minute ago, Edgar said:

was biamp between the woofers and "everything else".

Uhhh what?   So, you biamped the legacies?  I have done that in the past with phenomial results as well, but this time around I'm going single amp and gonna give this step one a go before I automically resort to that once again. Sounds like you did something crossover wise in addition?   Waiting on all new cables I ordered to redo all connections in the system. 

3 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Sounds like you did something crossover wise in addition?

In stock form, the lower woofers cut off at 60 Hz with 1st-order crossover (a big inductor), while the upper woofer continues up to 180 Hz with a 2nd-order crossover (a not quite so big inductor plus a capacitor). I bypassed all of that and ran wires to the woofers for direct connection to my amp. I originally triamped them, maintaining the 60 Hz crossover for the lower woofers and the 180 Hz crossover for the upper, but eventually I found that it was unnecessary and just ran them all up to 180 Hz.

I kept the existing passive crossover between the midranges, tweeter, and ribbon, but did bypass the 2nd-order 180 Hz highpass section.

IIRC, this can all be done by disconnecting some wires and jumpering around some components. No desoldering or soldering was required (other than providing binding posts for the direct woofer connections), and it is all reversible.

2 minutes ago, Edgar said:

In stock form, the lower woofers cut off at 60 Hz with 1st-order crossover (a big inductor), while the upper woofer continues up to 180 Hz with a 2nd-order crossover (a not quite so big inductor plus a capacitor). I bypassed all of that and ran wires to the woofers for direct connection to my amp. I originally triamped them, maintaining the 60 Hz crossover for the lower woofers and the 180 Hz crossover for the upper, but eventually I found that it was unnecessary and just ran them all up to 180 Hz.

I kept the existing passive crossover between the midranges, tweeter, and ribbon, but did bypass the 2nd-order 180 Hz highpass section.

IIRC, this can all be done by disconnecting some wires and jumpering around some components. No desoldering or soldering was required (other than providing binding posts for the direct woofer connections), and it is all reversible.

Interesting.  I'll try them as is first of course and see what I think, if unsatisfied, I'll Def explore that avenue.  Thanks for your input.  

22 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Best thing I ever did with my Focus (same model ... even the same finish)

Haha, you don't happen to be from Michigan and had purchased the speakers new in the year 2000 do you?  If so, I may or may not have your original receipt 😂

3 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Haha, you don't happen to be from Michigan and had purchased the speakers new in the year 2000 do you?  If so, I may or may not have your original receipt 😂

Ha, no. I bought them back in 1995, I think, from a fellow in Canada.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:04 PM, wvu80 said:

I remember you said the sn was 1978 so I knew you had the correct year.  I guess the only issue you have now is what updates to do.

I've never heard of anybody updating an older model to an AL-3 but I guess you could.  It's more typical to go straight to the A/4500 and the tweeter of your choice.  The A/4500 is basically a Type A with a 4500 Hz XO instead of the OEM 6000 XO.

Whatever you do it will be an improvement over the AL.

So... I finally got these in my house last weekend after buying them 10 months ago.  I am pretty happy with them as they are in decent shape.  I will refinish them soon, but I already ordered A/4500 XO's and CT-120's.  I will likely get the A-55's and replace the bass driver with a new K-33 (one of them has a noise, but I haven't opened it up yet as I could only hear it on once song).

48046376468_7b6f5568f6_b.jpg

My sub is keeping up with these better than I thought.

33322758540_89c461366e_b.jpg

32893388313_9373d8d96a_b.jpg

• Like 9