What I Got Today!

Brac

Not that I needed another amp, but at $49...it was impossible to pass up. Another Sherbourn TST-2/200 with eight channels pushing 100 watts each or fully balanced XLR run in stereo with 200 watts per channel. I already have one in the garage so I will probably swap this one in to power my pc audio through my Klipsch RC-3 ii pair. Using the Emotiva XDA-2 as a preamp/DAC with a Klipsch Sub-10.

08149e65ba43ca261e79dd240ac8b8fa.jpg

• Like 1

I finally finished cutting my black granite slabs that I have had for almost a year now. Placed them on top of my 5 Chorus II's and my diy audio racks for a seamless look. The other 2 Chorus II's are in surround position with matching black granite tops. So what do you guys think? Do you like the look of black granite and walnut?

20190707_191437-3830x2154.jpg

• Like 9

On 5/31/2019 at 6:23 PM, Schu said:

Its runing roon for music categorizing and playback. The OS is a linx based online system I think. It's pretty stripped down but you can loaf and run many music apps.

I know I gave you shit, but I decided to give Roon another shot after your lastest posts about this device. I was an early adopter at the time and after collapsing my dedicated 2-channel system it just wasn't worth it.

So I dusted off my Raspberry pi 3 and ordered a hifiberry digi+ pro for the GPIO output in order to send coax digital to my denon avr which has a decent enough dac inside of it. This allowed me to bypass the shared usb/ethernet noise of the Pi, which also not having digital-to-analog-to-digital-to-analog conversion taking place by connecting up a DAC to my AVR over RCA inputs. Roon has certainly polished up over the past few years and the ability to have these little roon endpoints without much fiddle factor is certainly much nicer than what i had to deal with in the past. So I'll spend the next year revisiting my existing library and probably grow it to see if it's worth maintaining the roon subscription. I'm still on spotify since I share it with my wife and family and I just can't justify the extra expense for Tidal - so I'll continue to use that either through my NVIDIA shield or the AVR's built in spotify support.

23 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

I finally finished cutting my black granite slabs that I have had for almost a year now. Placed them on top of my 5 Chorus II's and my diy audio racks for a seamless look. The other 2 Chorus II's are in surround position with matching black granite tops. So what do you guys think? Do you like the look of black granite and walnut?

20190707_191437-3830x2154.jpg

Very nice, I'll bet 5 Chorus lls sound spectacular.....congrats, I'm digging the granite.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Very nice, I'll bet 5 Chorus lls sound spectacular.....congrats, I'm digging the granite.

Upon reviewing the custom granite tops, in my listening tests, I have noticed slightly enhanced upper midrange transients, ocassional extended decay on the high notes, and a noticeably  faster roll off on the bottom end. I could not detect any induced ringing. Also, I could not perceive the changes in resonant frequency due to the added coupling. Well worth the additional investment.

JK

If any one believes that BS, send me a PM cause I have some stuff for sale you may also like.

I myself just like the style and protection they will provide.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 314carpenter said:

Upon reviewing the custom granite tops, in my listening tests, I have noticed slightly enhanced upper midrange transients, ocassional extended decay on the high notes, and a noticeably  faster roll off on the bottom end. I could not detect any induced ringing. Also, I could not perceive the changes in resonant frequency due to the added coupling. Well worth the additional investment.

JK

If any one believes that BS, send me a PM cause I have some stuff for sale you may also like.

I myself just like the style and protection they will provide.

Haha...had me going for a second! They look good, much better than glass.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I know I gave you shit, but I decided to give Roon another shot after your lastest posts about this device. I was an early adopter at the time and after collapsing my dedicated 2-channel system it just wasn't worth it.

So I dusted off my Raspberry pi 3 and ordered a hifiberry digi+ pro for the GPIO output in order to send coax digital to my denon avr which has a decent enough dac inside of it. This allowed me to bypass the shared usb/ethernet noise of the Pi, which also not having digital-to-analog-to-digital-to-analog conversion taking place by connecting up a DAC to my AVR over RCA inputs. Roon has certainly polished up over the past few years and the ability to have these little roon endpoints without much fiddle factor is certainly much nicer than what i had to deal with in the past. So I'll spend the next year revisiting my existing library and probably grow it to see if it's worth maintaining the roon subscription. I'm still on spotify since I share it with my wife and family and I just can't justify the extra expense for Tidal - so I'll continue to use that either through my NVIDIA shield or the AVR's built in spotify support.

I sold that server already... it was certainly the best streaming set up I've ever owned, but it just had some nagging connectivity issues unrelated to sound quality and processing. To bad really,  I wanted it to work and the few weeks I had it I had several playlists built.

19 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Can you elaborate? That seems like an odd reason, especially for what was essentially a small gaming PC at its core.

the controller was either my android phone or my android based tablet... it had issues with maintaining a connection between the controller and the server itself. when the controller was not in direct communication the playback would cease and not continue on it's own. it seems the server was plagued with drop out and intermittent connectivity.

other than that, the unit delivered everything it claimed when it worked. I could have used a direct connection but that would have defeated the purpose of a server. I am not sure if this was a wifi issue, a handshake issue or server internal issue... I didnt really want to find out and chase it down.

I sold that server already... it was certainly the best streaming set up I've ever owned, but it just had some nagging connectivity issues unrelated to sound quality and processing. To bad really,  I wanted it to work and the few weeks I had it I had several playlists built.

I have been paying for roon every year for 2 yrs now , It was time to drop the $$ for the lifetime or step away from roon . I picked to step away from it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, A1UC said:

I have been paying for roon every year for 2 yrs now , It was time to drop the $$ for the lifetime or step away from roon . I picked to step away from it .

And that's what I ultimately keep coming back to every time the annual renewal comes around. But honestly, what else is there if I don't want to buy into a full ecosystem of polished controller app + branded endpoint (Linn, for example)? What do you currently use?

I know there are some free linux options out there and I've played with most of them - the control interface is very typically garbage, however.

31 minutes ago, Schu said:

the controller was either my android phone or my android based tablet... it had issues with maintaining a connection between the controller and the server itself. when the controller was not in direct communication the playback would cease and not continue on it's own. it seems the server was plagued with drop out and intermittent connectivity.

other than that, the unit delivered everything it claimed when it worked. I could have used a direct connection but that would have defeated the purpose of a server. I am not sure if this was a wifi issue, a handshake issue or server internal issue... I didnt really want to find out and chase it down.

fair enough. i've noticed my iPhone app will crash from time to time, but it doesn't ever affect playback. Android tablet and PC app have both been stable so far as controllers. My device is hardwired, however.

And that's what I ultimately keep coming back to every time the annual renewal comes around. But honestly, what else is there if I don't want to buy into a full ecosystem of polished controller app + branded endpoint (Linn, for example)? What do you currently use?

I know there are some free linux options out there and I've played with most of them - the control interface is very typically garbage, however.

I use mconnect and a sonictransport

• Like 2

On 7/7/2019 at 8:37 PM, 314carpenter said:

I finally finished cutting my black granite slabs that I have had for almost a year now. Placed them on top of my 5 Chorus II's and my diy audio racks for a seamless look. The other 2 Chorus II's are in surround position with matching black granite tops. So what do you guys think?

Do you like the look of black granite and walnut?

Are you kidding?  I like everything you have!  :emotion-21:  B)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, A1UC said:

I went ahead with a NUC and installed Roon's ROCK OS.  It has been, as the name implies, rock solid.  I work in IT all day (and night) so I like a no fuss solution.    Roon needs decent hardware and I'd say a SSD is a good idea for the OS.  Using an old PC you retired from other uses is not the best idea nor is trying to run the server over wireless.   I installed the NUC motherboard in a case that was all heat-sink, runs silently with no fan and is actually quite a bit cooler.

The ROON interface is not perfect but it seems peerless in my estimation.  That and a minor tweak of the ROON DSP EQ settings to smooth out the La Scalas has made me a pretty happy listener!  

Wait, you have a Sonictransporter?  I'd think that would work pretty good for ROON.  

3 minutes ago, muel said:

I went ahead with a NUC and installed Roon's ROCK OS.  It has been, as the name implies, rock solid.  I work in IT all day (and night) so I like a no fuss solution.    Roon needs decent hardware and I'd say a SSD is a good idea for the OS.  Using an old PC you retired from other uses is not the best idea nor is trying to run the server over wireless.   I installed the NUC motherboard in a case that was all heat-sink, runs silently with no fan and is actually quite a bit cooler.

The ROON interface is not perfect but it seems peerless in my estimation.  That and a minor tweak of the ROON DSP EQ settings to smooth out the La Scalas has made me a pretty happy listener!  

This is essentially what I've got going via Ropieee. I'm running digital coax to my AVR and letting it handle DSP through my existing config.

• Like 1