What I Got Today!

Brac

I went ahead with a NUC and installed Roon's ROCK OS.  It has been, as the name implies, rock solid.  I work in IT all day (and night) so I like a no fuss solution.    Roon needs decent hardware and I'd say a SSD is a good idea for the OS.  Using an old PC you retired from other uses is not the best idea nor is trying to run the server over wireless.   I installed the NUC motherboard in a case that was all heat-sink, runs silently with no fan and is actually quite a bit cooler.

The ROON interface is not perfect but it seems peerless in my estimation.  That and a minor tweak of the ROON DSP EQ settings to smooth out the La Scalas has made me a pretty happy listener!  

Wait, you have a Sonictransporter?  I'd think that would work pretty good for ROON.  

Yes Sonictransporter I like it because it has Roon and MinimServer so if one does not want to run roon . I have a 4TB USB external hard drive with music on it plugged into sonictransporter .

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/products/sonictransporter-i5?variant=20893269700

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/6/2019 at 8:26 PM, K5SS said:

I grabbed another Martin Logan Depth i. I have been wanting to run duals again for quite some time now and a good deal popped CL today and I jumped.

I fully knew this when buying it but it powers on but the woofers are dead so the amp is shot. I have an email in to ML for a replacement amp, I am hoping it’s under $300 but only time will tell. Grabbed this one for $180. Not bad!

84807d9ca2874eb4eb5e52a7b1f10c56.jpg
091b4967da2f84076ab60efd9ea8b353.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. I think Martin Logan will fix it for a reasonable flat rate if you send the amp to them. They used to at least. I have one of the original Depth models (not "i") and I still use it. It pairs very well with my P37s. I'd love to find another.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, wstrickland1 said:

Nice. I think Martin Logan will fix it for a reasonable flat rate if you send the amp to them. They used to at least. I have one of the original Depth models (not "i") and I still use it. It pairs very well with my P37s. I'd love to find another.

ML makes highly underrated subwoofers. I think the ID companies have a better $/performance ratio but every single Martin Logan subwoofer I have ever owned has performed beautifully. I still think the dual Abyss setup I had, a few houses ago, performed better in my room than the dual SVS SB-2000’s I had at one point.

Still keep my eyes peeled for Decent i’s but they still command pretty high prices.

Seeing you still have some Palladium’s, makes me regret ever selling my natural bookshelf/center package I used to own. Probably my biggest single audio regret:/

Glad to see you are enjoying your Depth and knowing it keeps up with amazing speakers like the P37’s! 

9 hours ago, K5SS said:

Glad to see you are enjoying your Depth and knowing it keeps up with amazing speakers like the P37’s! 

Actually I can't imagine a better match for them but I would like a pair. I had a crack at a pair of Descents a while back but passed. Sometimes you just have to say no. I'm not familiar with their newer lineup of subs but think the "Tri-linear Balanced Force" design is pretty spectacular. I assume they quit making them so I'm glad I got one at least.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2019 at 6:56 PM, A1UC said:

On 6/30/2019 at 6:56 PM, A1UC said:

Well it’s done , going to start a 2nd system

My current system

Bel Canto Black 2 System

Sonictransport

Linear Power Suppy

Focal Scala Utopia Evo

Shunyata Triton V3

Sigma power cable

9166072e3304e2f43035bc4e712d294a.jpg85a5bc1addcaa2cf29ca0bd0d9fd5ad1.jpg

Curious what kind of rack this is? 

• Like 2

Got my Beatles Stereo Vinyl Box set today.  Prices are already going stupid I was watching 1 of the sets on  ( https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/85937/The_Beatles-The_Beatles_Stereo_Box_Set-Vinyl_Box_Sets ) at 299.00 last week I was dragging my feet checked the wish list and price had jumped to 750.00. Kicking my own A$$ I went on a search and found Elusive Disc had not  gone crazy "YET" and still had them for 359.00  The way vinyl has been going nuts I hurried and put in an order that arrived today in mint shape

Moral: If you are on the fence nows the time............

• Like 1

Doesn't it take just one?
No. You gotta jam six of them in there and sit back and be amazed at the improvement. Do I know how to party or what?

Um, yeah.....just one.[emoji39]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, SWL said:

No. You gotta jam six of them in there and sit back and be amazed at the improvement. Do I know how to party or what?

Um, yeah.....just one.emoji39.png

Why did you get 6 then?

Why did you get 6 then?

Do you still listen to your D2? Do you still have the same tube in it? How long have you had your D2?

I ask because mine really seems to wear out a tube pretty quickly. I bought a handful of them because 1. I dig the sound of this DAC and 2. After putting a new tube in after a year's use (I've done this I think twice now) the sound improvement from a new tube is pretty substantial to my ears. The older tube sounds 'tired' in comparison.....good but tired.

I think this is true with a lot of tubes but this particular DAC to me, sounds better with a strong tube. So I'm rotating them (they're cheap......I paid under 100 bucks for all six tubes).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SWL said:

Do you still listen to your D2? Do you still have the same tube in it? How long have you had your D2?

It's in a secondary system that doesn't get much use.  I have a Schiit thst currently gets more air time.  I haven't upgraded the op amps like you have either.

It's in a secondary system that doesn't get much use.  I have a Schiit thst currently gets more air time.  I haven't upgraded the op amps like you have either.
Which Shiit DAC? I've thought about trying one of their DACs....or any other DAC just for the sake of trying another DAC but the D2 with the discrete opamps and my choice of tube after rolling several different types....I really don't feel the need to change. Been pretty content with this thing.