What I Got Today!

Brac

My daughter purchased a set of Forte I speakers for me from an estate sale in Colorado Springs. My wife saw the on the last day of her visit for (Thursday) for $450. For logistics reasons I passed. (I'm in Phoenix, Az.) However they were still available today for $250, so I had my daughter pick them up. This is unheard, and only saw one texted picture. Looks like Oak veneer and no gross gouges, so a pretTy good deal. May be used in my garage.  Now I am stuck like @WillyBob was when he was waiting for his La Scalas. Gots to find a reason for a road trip. We usually fly up to visit the grandkids, but maybe around Christmas........

Wife just told me they were $225, not $250. Not @Youthman, but not bad. (Even a blind dog finds a 🍖 now and then)

• Like 4

On 7/13/2019 at 4:26 PM, JJkizak said:

In my previous job I used to throw away bushels of them. I never thought about getting rich on old tubes until I joined the Klipsch forum.

JJK

When your trying to get decent intermodulation specs you might find one in 5 that are OK, and one in 10 that is spectacular.

JJK

The Jensen homebrew solid Mahogany BLH cabinets turned out to be too short with not enough volume for a 15" driver.

So I made new baffles for 12" drivers. The CDK coaxials with their higher Fs with tight minimal cone movement seem to work rather nice.

The bass does start to roll-off at around 60Hz, and could use a subwoofer for lower registers. Above that, they sound really nice.

DSCN3271.JPG

• Like 3

What I got yesterday,met Joe and we made a trade and I bought some extra gear he was not using.I listed my reel to reel on the forum and he contacted me and I was driving to NC on Friday and he told me about his Aric Audio Southern BB2 amp,so I loaded up the reel to reel and we worked out a deal.The amp sounds great and he is now  enjoying the reel to reel.I am really surprised at the sound of the el84 tubes,I did change the 12ax7’s for 12au7’sand that really helped the sound.

F1D3ADE1-943F-4302-84F3-ADC75D3E5F9C.jpeg

• Like 3

I finally got a new audio rack after my last one ended up warping to crap (which was expensive).  I wanted something simple and it seems to get something simple, it was cheap (particle board).  The adjustable shelves were rated at 25 lbs, but I strengthened one of them to put 40 lbs worth of mono block amps.  Eventually, when my extra garage is built, I'll have a table saw and build my own rack.

Don' mind he TV on the ground, I am redoing the fire place and mantel. 

48342345257_a00f48a737_k.jpg

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Schu said:

I had another piece of a player, Jordan Cristos, who final tabled event 89 at the wsop for >186,000$...

Jordan_Cristos__2019WSOP_EV89_DAY2_HOCHS

That four cashes total this year for the wsop as a backer.

So I think I understand the concept.. what does that mean for you when you stake these players and they do well? You get your stake back, or stake + a percentage? This isn't really something I even knew existed, so it has my interest piqued.

You're gambling on a gambler's ability to gamble?

59 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

So I think I understand the concept.. what does that mean for you when you stake these players and they do well? You get your stake back, or stake + a percentage? This isn't really something I even knew existed, so it has my interest piqued.

You're gambling on a gambler's ability to gamble?

@Thaddeus Smith Thanks for asking this, I had/have no idea what @Schu is talking about.

A friend helping a family friend called and I ended up with something vintage. I'll know more later on.

http://www.vintage-speaker-review.com/2014/01/fisher-xp-7-speaker-review-and-price.html

IMG-20190722-152830.jpg

Provenance from what I was told is backed up by the shipping labels and the declared value when shipped from NYC in 1969. Belonged to a another friend that had passed, these had been boxed up since 1981. 

IMG-20190722-154332.jpg

Dusted them off, the grilles have a metallic gold threading through them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2019 at 4:05 PM, JohnJ said:

I'll know more later on.

Well, they sound awful to me. Decent bass, not any spaciousness, missing mids and treble.... wait, I'm accustomed to the horn loaded Klipsch sound.

Couldn't imagine any company putting something so anemic out in the late 60s when PWK was selling Khorns for a decade or more already.

• Sad 1