What I Got Today!

Brac

On 7/31/2019 at 10:00 AM, yamahaSHO said:

Engine block fillers are something drag racers use due to the crazy amount of power they run.

Did not know this was done. I did have a piston get fat on a 200hp outboard once. I wonder if they can also do this on racing outboards. Interesting.

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Found a good deal on a little 38" two post rack with casters and shelves. Just enough room for my stack of gear with some breathing room for the amps and avr.

Much safer than the two ikea end tables I had stacked up - those worked for a time, but I've got some serious amp weight these days and it was a bit wobbly.

3F79D407-27DA-419E-B3DA-391DAFCCDE2D.thumb.jpeg.abf41ec40e508bcedd5f2d2fb4c9fcdc.jpeg

B7A0F639-4BB2-4B11-9AEE-A44E8270AB7F.thumb.jpeg.0805b571ee603af62566d3684f6566fa.jpeg

Where's the turntable?  I don't get it.

9 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Where's the turntable?  I don't get it.

I thought about it once.. I just don't want to invest in that playback system or deal with the acquisition and storage of the records.

I've firmly planted myself in purely file based playback and am quite ok with the choice.

Lightning  Storm hit yesterday evening, Heard a very LOUD crash close to the house. Look around no damage. Turn on the water NO WATER, Test Breaker "Good", Test power to Well at switch "Good", Test power out of switch to submersible pump "Good"

At the store this morning and had to get this

ace.PNG

• Sad 1

On 7/30/2019 at 4:53 PM, yamahaSHO said:

I did not get this today, but we did finally get 9's in the Taurus SHO I tune this past Sunday in Indy.

If I would have known you all were in town I would have came out to the strip.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Do you have an adequate ground rod in place for your well house?

4 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Well has no house per-si, Locally they use a fake rock cover which is what I have. it is a 2 wire pump with an equipment ground that does run to the main breaker box which does have 2 ground rods.  Investigating Via the internet it seems a LOT of well pump failure comes from lightning and ground rods are not a guarantee they report even surge protectors dont always save the pumps.  Appreciate the thoughts though......................I may put one in closer to the well its like 30.00 and if it saves the pump once its worth while

4 hours ago, JJkizak said:

It happened to us a while back. The lightning creates a huge pulse on the pump wires (88 feet) and trips the breaker. It didn't hit the pump house pit.

JJK

No breaker tripping here just pump failure. Doesnt affect the wiring at all either. Well is like 80 feet deep in sand all the way down. I almost feel like the strike is hitting the WET ground and reaching the water table thus killing the pump. Sand for soil will allow rain water to go DEEP into the ground.   I tested resistance on all 3 wires the all are the same they all have great continuity. I would think if a surge powerful enough to kill the pump the wires would show some damage. 

29 minutes ago, joessportster said:

Well has no house per-si, Locally they use a fake rock cover which is what I have. it is a 2 wire pump with an equipment ground that does run to the main breaker box which does have 2 ground rods.  Investigating Via the internet it seems a LOT of well pump failure comes from lightning and ground rods are not a guarantee they report even surge protectors dont always save the pumps.  Appreciate the thoughts though......................I may put one in closer to the well its like 30.00 and if it saves the pump once its worth while

Fair enough. I've got a ~90ft radio tower, so I certainly see my fair share of lightning strikes on the property. I've got separate ground rods for all of my structures, the tower has its own ground rod, ceramic insulators, etc.

51 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Fair enough. I've got a ~90ft radio tower, so I certainly see my fair share of lightning strikes on the property. I've got separate ground rods for all of my structures, the tower has its own ground rod, ceramic insulators, etc.

I would love to have that tower. Home made or bought ? care to share a link ?

1 hour ago, joessportster said:

I would love to have that tower. Home made or bought ? care to share a link ?

In 1950 after having watched a blue 6 inch diameter lightning ball travel down a 5/8 Inch thick lightning rod cable through a window glass (no damage to the glass) then through a cloths dryer (burned up dead)  and into the basement through the floor to the sewer pipe (tracks) I sometimes wonder about the value of the lightning rods on the roof. I do understand that Mr. Lightning does what he wants whenever he wants.

JJK

7 hours ago, Davis said:

If I would have known you all were in town I would have came out to the strip.

That would have been cool! Everything was very last minute. We ran in Denver and found oiling issues and lost a motor. The next day, we went to Vegas for a few days and then when we got back, he had a 2-day drive back to Atlanta. From there, he needed a new motor, new clutch, and a few other things. I had plane tickets with insurance and we didn't know until the day before that it was going to be reality. The new motor had not even been tested, but was sent it anyway! It was 2 weeks between events... He extremely determined! 

I do look forward to what we do in the future. I am hoping to make this my career and quit my day job. I've been tuning for probably 15 years, but only recently made it a business and feel like I am finally in a position in life to take the leap... But it would be awesome! 

This was posted today... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yamahaSHO said:

That would have been cool! Everything was very last minute. We ran in Denver and found oiling issues and lost a motor. The next day, we went to Vegas for a few days and then when we got back, he had a 2-day drive back to Atlanta. From there, he needed a new motor, new clutch, and a few other things. I had plane tickets with insurance and we didn't know until the day before that it was going to be reality. The new motor had not even been tested, but was sent it anyway! It was 2 weeks between events... He extremely determined! 

I do look forward to what we do in the future. I am hoping to make this my career and quit my day job. I've been tuning for probably 15 years, but only recently made it a business and feel like I am finally in a position in life to take the leap... But it would be awesome! 

This was posted today... 

That is so awesome that you feel you are ready and able to follow your dream. Good luck to you please know that many are envious! Knowing your dream and then acting on it is a rare gift!

• Like 1

My previous subs have been RSW-12 and RT-10D. The JTR is in another league altogether. The only comparison I can make would be when I lived in Japan I had a  Nissan Silvia that made 300whp and was rear-wheel drive and then purchased a 530whp awd Skyline GT-R. Both the GT-R and the JTR were leaps forward in performance over what they replaced. The pressure the JTR creates in the house is simply insane. I plan on getting one more :) 

14127773-0D19-4A5B-BAE4-65259D7F65F9.jpeg

• Like 6