What I Got Today!

Brac

27 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

VPI destroys a 124.

Opinions Vary <_<.  My 124 has undergone a total restoration with some very nicely upgraded parts. Playing 2 LP (that I know very well) through left me wanting NOTHING, I never felt like I was missing anything sound wise. I could and will listen for hours this weekend to some other well known LP to get a better grip on the overall sound. I am very happy with the trade from VPI Classic 1 to Thorens 124

• Like 1

14 hours ago, joessportster said:

Opinions Vary <_<.  My 124 has undergone a total restoration with some very nicely upgraded parts. Playing 2 LP (that I know very well) through left me wanting NOTHING, I never felt like I was missing anything sound wise. I could and will listen for hours this weekend to some other well known LP to get a better grip on the overall sound. I am very happy with the trade from VPI Classic 1 to Thorens 124

Ah, OK...I was thinking of the Scout.

You sold it????  Is that why you changed avatars?

Scat , HC, Demon, Redeye all look cool but to be honest they ain’t got nothing on handling on a foreign automobile . They are fun to drive and look cool that’s about it . My personal take

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, A1UC said:

Scat , HC, Demon, Redeye all look cool but to be honest they ain’t got nothing on handling on a foreign automobile . They are fun to drive and look cool that’s about it . My personal take

They're made for straight line performance.  Most sports cars will take them in the twisty bits.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 5:35 PM, joessportster said:

Would not say that a VPI scout or any VPI other than the top of line rim drive model would smoke a 124. Having owned a number of turntables including a 124  as well as a few VPI's a couple of clearaudio's as well as  a LinnLP12 - I would for the most part go with an idler drive versus a belt drive.

I could never get the 124 to perform like I knew it could. It sounded incredible but I couldnt conquer the rumble. I know that there are folks who refurbish these and do in fact conquer the  rumble. I have ended up with a lenco based idler drive turntable  ( ptp audio) that has in my estimation smoked all of the other turntables I have owned.

In the great history of turntables, it is unfortunate that pretty much all of the efforts over the years have been focused on building better belt drive models - because they are cheaper and less complicated to build. It would have been interesting if companies had spent more effort on improving idler drive turntables. Thankfully the DIY community did so with new plinth materials and improved bearing assemblies and improved motor isolation techniques.

Having the motor drive the platter rather then a rubber belt pulling the platter improves pretty much everything in regards to vinyl playback. The resulting improvement on cartridge drag delivers a better overall presentation. This improvement is most noticeable with instruments that have a percussive component. Think acoustic piano, violins, acoustic guitar etc. A violin section sounds like a section of individual instruments rather a smear. It really is remarkable.

It has basically the same effect that adding a record clamp does on belt drive turntables - only more so. People rave about the sound of 45 rpm audiophile LP's. The reason for the improved sound with a 45rpm LP is the limiting effect the 45 rpms have on cartridge drag.

With an idler drive there is no need for a record clamp and all Lps have the drive and PRAT of a 45rpm audiophile edition.

Just my opinion and your mileage may vary. But unlike a lot of BS in audio there is a physical reason for the improvement that made sense to me.

On 10/11/2019 at 8:24 AM, CECAA850 said:

They're made for straight line performance.  Most sports cars will take them in the twisty bits.

Certainly this is the case. My only experience with a Hell Cat was at Bondurants performance driving school. Drove them on the track and have to say that having all that horsepower requires a different approach than other cars I have tracked. Lots of fun for sure. I track my boxster a fair amount and nothing I have owned takes to the turns like that car. Its like the car is turning around your hips. Amazing.

As I get closer to retirement I am looking into buying a Miata just for the track. If I feel more industrious I will consider building up a 2002 as a track car. I have worked on so many 2002's that I am very comfortable with pretty much everything - excluding the suspension!

Fun part will be shopping for the right car to set up/

Josh

I know this has nothing to do with Klipsch speakers, but today I was checking out local yard sales and I bought a Cub Cadet Professional walk behind mower 54" cut with 18.5 motor with only 30 hours on it.It is like new and the only downside is mowing season is almost over and I will have to wait until next spring to start to use it.

FB5EC24E-57FF-41A4-B3DA-86D44A561CAE.jpeg

• Like 4

Certainly this is the case. My only experience with a Hell Cat was at Bondurants performance driving school. Drove them on the track and have to say that having all that horsepower requires a different approach than other cars I have tracked. Lots of fun for sure. I track my boxster a fair amount and nothing I have owned takes to the turns like that car. Its like the car is turning around your hips. Amazing.
As I get closer to retirement I am looking into buying a Miata just for the track. If I feel more industrious I will consider building up a 2002 as a track car. I have worked on so many 2002's that I am very comfortable with pretty much everything - excluding the suspension!
Fun part will be shopping for the right car to set up/

Josh

Friend just bought a Honda NSX handles awesome