What I Got Today!

Brac

Didn't take a single picture, but I managed to keep four turkeys alive until today's harvest. Dressed weights were 10, 11, and 2x 12lbs. Average prices online for pasture raised birds of this size are about $100-150, so that's kind of fun to be able to grow them ourselves and gift one to everyone who came and helped us harvest.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Didn't take a single picture, but I managed to keep four turkeys alive until today's harvest. Dressed weights were 10, 11, and 2x 12lbs. Average prices online for pasture raised birds of this size are about $100-150, so that's kind of fun to be able to grow them ourselves and gift one to everyone who came and helped us harvest.

You mean you didn't pardon one?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

We purchased a 17lb turkey from friends who own a very small chicken and turkey farm. $90. Good compared to your online figures, but I'm not going to tell my Mom the cost. She wouldn't have any!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

Looks like more than a sample to me ... you’re going to be buzzed.  Enjoy your day. 

Nah.. just sipped and did some people watching. Had a buddy meet up with me and chit chat for bit. Filled the growlers with Dogfish Head 75 minute IPA and Real Ale Coffee Porter.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I'm a fan of the 120.

Pick some up and let them age for +/- 5 years or so then sip it side by side with a new one. Very interesting to see how they change over time even in a sealed glass bottle. The brewpub in Rehoboth, DE sells several "vintage" beers of their higher strength ones like World Wide Stout and Olde School Barleywine.

15 minutes ago, rplace said:

Pick some up and let them age for +/- 5 years or so then sip it side by side with a new one. Very interesting to see how they change over time even in a sealed glass bottle. The brewpub in Rehoboth, DE sells several "vintage" beers of their higher strength ones like World Wide Stout and Olde School Barleywine.

I've got a bunch of 120 at the house.  I may do that.  I'm assuming they age for the better?

Been to Rehoboth once.  My wife's family lives in Dover.

15 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I've got a bunch of 120 at the house.  I may do that.  I'm assuming they age for the better?

Been to Rehoboth once.  My wife's family lives in Dover.

I think so and most others I've talked to do as well. Initially I liked the 120 because it is so different, but it is a bit like cough syrup when young. I find all the flavors meld together versus picking them out one by one. High gravity beers are frequently aged. Samichlaus, for example, is only brewed one particular day of the year (December 6th from memory) and not sold till the following year.

If you look on the neck of any dogfish head beer you will see the package date. I think I have some from as far back at 2005.

PM me if interested maybe I could be persuaded to send you an already aged one so you can see if something you are interested in.

The good thing about 120 is it is the same recipe every batch. I have some Brooklyn Chocolate Stout from many years back. And frequently taste them as flights with others around the holidays to see how the 4,5,6 years old versions change over time. Those are best around 3-4 years....they become much like a Port in some regards. However, that beer changes recipe slightly year to year kind of like Anchor's Merry Christmas or Sierra Nevada Celebration. Don't bother to age SN Celebration it is best the day you buy it. All those fresh, wet hops are to die for. Great time of year for beers, Cheers!