What I Got Today!

Brac

36 minutes ago, babadono said:

How much ya got?:)

Sure hope that was insured.

It was fully insured but I hear FedEx can drag their feet for months, and they may want to take possession of the damaged item. Still weighing my options @ this time.

Waiting for a call back from Mac parts, and a local service shop about 50 miles from me for a ball park repair estimate.

37 minutes ago, USNRET said:

I have purchased a couple of face plate glasses. It used to be that you call into parts department and tell them what model you need the glass for and they put it on a sticky note. When they have a production run break I'd get a call asking if I still wanted it if so, they would build and send. As I recall several years ago, 10-12, the cost was $75 and it took a couple of months but there is that memory thing. Call Mc parts and get the current lowdown.

So you purchased a couple glasses years ago, did you replace the glass yourself?

That video I watched looks pretty simple but mine does have the two power meters where that receiver did not. Watching the video, I think I could replace it. Its pretty straight forward, remove knobs, approx 6-10 screws, then carefully remove front glass/face assembly. Then disassemble that and replace glass.

On 1/11/2020 at 8:37 PM, polizzio said:

Firearms is another one of my hobbies. I enjoy working on them, collecting, and shooting. I favor Glocks for their total reliability and durability, but i have other manufacturers too. In today's world I don't leave home without it, like my driver's license or credit card. My G-22 sleeps under my pillow every night. Imagine a world (even in America) where people are not even safe in their church worshiping, at a concert, walmart, or attending school.

You might want to correct that to “today’s USA”, and I’m not even positive about that.  Here in Canada, handguns are practically illegal, so nearly all of them are owned by either cops or crooks.  Since handguns aren’t manufactured in Canada, as far as I know, the cops import theirs, and the crooks buy theirs from gun smugglers.  Most of those guns come from the great state of Virginia, where they are bought in batches and then smuggled into Ontario.

Gun crime in Canada is mostly concentrated into two hotspots:  Toronto, and Surrey, a suburb of Vancouver.  In both cases, the gun crime consists mainly of shootouts between and assassinations of drug gang members.  The general public feels no need to arm itself.

While there have been mass shootings in Canada, they are very rare, occurring less than once a year, and nearly always involve long guns.  This is probably due to limited access to handguns.  Canada has just as many disturbed or depressed people as any other country, but they rarely get around to shooting people.

3 hours ago, polizzio said:

So you purchased a couple glasses years ago, did you replace the glass yourself?

Easy to replace the glass. Small bezel that holds the glass. Might want to see if you can source the blue filters HERE for the meters while you are in there. I did a C-28 where the seller swore he was using a factory box...uh, no and he paid for the new glass. Did one on a metered amp as well but don't recall the model 2505 maybe.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Islander said:

Here in Canada, handguns are practically illegal, so nearly all of them are owned by either cops or crooks.  Since handguns aren’t manufactured in Canada, as far as I know, the cops import theirs, and the crooks buy theirs from gun smugglers.  

We live in a violent world, some countries are def worse than others. Human kind have a long history of violence and wars, thousands of years. Many of us in the USA do not count on the police to protect us all of the time. I'm not looking for trouble, but i will defend myself to the bitter end if need be. Somebody breaking into my home while I am here better be prepared. I'll call the police to pick up the bodies and write a report. Ditto while out on the streets, it's a long shot but I will do whatever to survive if I get jammed up.

We just don't rely upon the government or law enforcement to protect us every moment of the day or night. When cops and criminals are the only one with firearms.....you are in real trouble. Sometimes the police cannot be trusted either. Power and authority corrupts some.

12 minutes ago, polizzio said:

We just don't rely upon the government or law enforcement to protect us every moment of the day or night. When cops and criminals are the only one with firearms.....you are in real trouble. Sometimes the police cannot be trusted either. Power and authority corrupts some.

You have a point there, but so far, incidents of cops killing people are thankfully very rare.  In the case of Sammy Yatim, a disturbed young man who brandished a dinner knife (not a steak knife) on a streetcar, the cop who shot him eight times, including a second volley after the young man lay dying on the floor of the empty streetcar, was charged with murder, and served several years in prison.

The other passengers and the operator quickly left the car as soon as it stopped, so the young man was alone in the streetcar, and there were a number of cops surrounding the streetcar.  The killer was standing over twenty feet away, and took it upon himself to shoot, without any immediate threat to him or the other officers.  Very few people thought the killing was justified.

Anyway, this is not what this thread is about, so I’ll stop here.

15 minutes ago, Islander said:

You have a point there, but so far, incidents of cops killing people are thankfully very rare.  In the case of Sammy Yatim, a disturbed young man who brandished a dinner knife (not a steak knife) on a streetcar, the cop who shot him eight times, including a second volley after the young man lay dying on the floor of the empty streetcar, was charged with murder, and served several years in prison.

The other passengers and the operator quickly left the car as soon as it stopped, so the young man was alone in the streetcar, and there were a number of cops surrounding the streetcar.  The killer was standing over twenty feet away, and took it upon himself to shoot, without any immediate threat to him or the other officers.  Very few people thought the killing was justified.

That is simply murder. They had a similar case in South Carolina a couple few ago, cop shot a black man fleeing him several times in the back. Another guy recorded it with his phone. Had he not, the cop probably wouldn't have been charged and convicted.

I'm sure Canada is safer overall from gun violence than the USA. USA has a long long history with firearms, our constitutional right (2nd amendment) to keep and bear arms. Long history of thieves and robbers too.

• Like 1

Anyway, this is not what this thread is about, so I’ll stop here.

Cops killing people very rare?? Cops murder people all too often. Period. It's not a new thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/27/2020 at 1:51 PM, polizzio said:

So my new to me McIntosh MC-150 amp arrived today via FedEx. Unfortunately the power knob took an impact in shipping and broke the glass. Bummer! 

But it sure sounds wonderful with my CW3. My first Mac.

DSC_0063.JPG

Ordered the glass face from McIntosh Labs this morning, they had it in stock, for a 24 yo unit. Got to love that :)  Seller is covering repair cost, sent me the payment.

I now know why owners and reviewers rave over Mac equipment. Superb amplifier, effortless, plenty of reserves. 

• Like 3

My previous pre-pro was an Onkyo TX NR717 AVR.  It was used with an Emotiva XPA-5 gen 1 until the Onk died from the dreaded HDMI daughterboard failure.

Thanks to @Emile I got a nicely matched Emotiva UMC-200 preamp processor.  It has a very sophisticated room correction program which adjusts 11 frequencies of each speaker including the sub.  My CF-4's never sounded better.

Using as 3.2, CF-4's, an Usher MTM center and a pair of Umax 15's with a Inuke 3000dsp.  Sounding pretty good so far in the Mancave.

1325583077_EmotivaUMC-200XPA-5Inuke3000dspKlipschCF-4_800.thumb.jpg.535f87a2ccb4b3be25872a2c875471e5.jpg

Emotiva UMC-200 + XPA-5 + Inuke 3000dsp 1_800.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

New front glass arrived yesterday from McIntosh Labs so with some advice and gen instructions from @USNRET I got her replaced and looking pristine once again. Gave the amp interior a cleaning too while I had the main cover off. Built like a brick sh*thouse comes to mind.

MC-150 broken glass small.jpg

Mac MC-150 new glass small.jpg

• Like 9