What I Got Today!

Brac

I've looked at the VPI Signature Prime since it first came out. MSRP is way more than I would spend. I just purchased a cosmetically damaged Rosewood one with a used SoundSmith cartridge from Music Direct on Audiogon. Now I'm looking for a dust cover.

SSH 

10 hours ago, ssh said:

I've looked at the VPI Signature Prime since it first came out. MSRP is way more than I would spend. I just purchased a cosmetically damaged Rosewood one with a used SoundSmith cartridge from Music Direct on Audiogon. Now I'm looking for a dust cover.

SSH 

Very nice... love that version. I've used one of the eBay seller's several times to build custom pieces and have never been disappointed. 

Not today but picked up about 60% of these over the weekend.

Nothing fancy but I started a little YouTube channel that focuses on the used audio market, which I will review speaker deals.

This pile should be good for a couple videos, while I practice editing[emoji51]

aac9303e830227c351e65057a086a5f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

On 2/9/2020 at 3:21 PM, oldtimer said:

My integrated is from the early 80s it has those cool dustless lighted switches.  I cant part with it.

Yamahaa550001.jpg~original

The silver colour makes it much easier to read the switches,  but with the popularity of home theatre setups, it seems like most North Americans go for the black look on their electronics.  In Europe, however, the silver faces apparently sell better, and Yamaha Europe has whole model lines that look great, but are rarely seen over here.

• Like 2

On 2/10/2020 at 12:38 PM, wvu80 said:

I haven't ridden it yet, too cold.  When revving it on the stand the thing just shrieks.  RPM's go up fast, then down almost instantaneously.  The motor is tight.

I've read where this FZ6 is really two different bikes, one is 0-8000 rpm, then 8000-14,000.  I have no plans to find out what 14K in ANY gear feels like. 

+++

I bought the bike for $1,300.  I thought I might ride it to the racquetball club three time a week just for the fun of it.  When researching what I bought (after I bought it) it seems like people are using it for a middle weight adventure bike.  That idea holds a lot of interest for me.

The dark (opaque?) windscreen looks cool, but you may find yourself looking for a windscreen that’s easier to look through, particularly on rainy or otherwise gloomy days.  Or at night.  Also, it is great to have a centre stand.  It makes simple things like lubing the chain so much more simple.

In any case, ride safe and ride long!

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Islander said:

The dark (opaque?) windscreen looks cool, but you may find yourself looking for a windscreen that’s easier to look through,

Yeah, good eye, I saw that.  Not sure what to make of it.

The original pic (just one) was a horizontal view.  I realized after I bought it the half fairing with the black quarter windshield was not OEM.  The one that is on there is from Iron Pony and I don't see how it's any improvement over stock.  I also have a radiator leaking, not from a connection.

There are a couple of other oddities.  The guy who sold me the bike is not the same name that is on the title.  The title showed the previous owner paid $1 for the bike.  I'm a bit nervous but once I get a West Virginia title in my name I'll feel better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Yeah, good eye, I saw that.  Not sure what to make of it.

The original pic (just one) was a horizontal view.  I realized after I bought it the half fairing with the black quarter windshield was not OEM.  The one that is on there is from Iron Pony and I don't see how it's any improvement over stock.  I also have a radiator leaking, not from a connection.

There are a couple of other oddities.  The guy who sold me the bike is not the same name that is on the title.  The title showed the previous owner paid $1 for the bike.  I'm a bit nervous but once I get a West Virginia title in my name I'll feel better.

Hmm, $1...  That suggests that the bike might have been written off and later rebuilt.  A stolen bike is another possibility, but whether you should investigate that or not, I can’t comment.  I would suggest that you look very closely at the bike and see if you can spot anything odd.  Flaking paint on the frame around the steering head could indicate that it was crashed hard and the frame may be bent, for just one example.  You should also check that the wheels are straight and in proper alignment.  Check for parts that are cleaner or otherwise different-looking than the rest of the bike.

However, if it was put together properly and is safe and reliable, it may turn out to be the bargain it first appeared to be.  The radiator may be repairable, or it should be possible to find a good used one from a bike wrecker.  Due to their typical low mileage, bike radiators rarely fail, other than because of a crash.

Hope this is helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@wvu80, that $1 title could also have been done to save paying taxes on the bike when the title was transferred.  A LOT of ppl in Ohio do that w/friends and family members when they shift stuff around.  You'll find out when you get everything transferred into your name.  Guy might have sold it for a buddy too who didn't know squat about fb marketplace.  I picked up my Oppo that way for $50.  Older model but works fine for me and my cd's, which are slim and none.  Don't even wanna think about using it for my TV.  lol  The guy was great, nice home and had the box.  Said it was just sitting there collecting dust.  Hopefully you're good to go.  Think my next "bike" will be a hoveround!  lol  :) 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave1290 said:

@wvu80, that $1 title could also have been done to save paying taxes on the bike when the title was transferred.  A LOT of ppl in Ohio do that w/friends and family members when they shift stuff around.  You'll find out when you get everything transferred into your name.  Guy might have sold it for a buddy too who didn't know squat about fb marketplace. 

That used to happen here in TX till the state figured out how much money they were losing.  Now they'll put a value on it and tax you accordingly if they think the value is grossly understated.

• Like 2