What I Got Today!

Brac

I hate shitting on other people's purchases, but with ~20 years in IT, these audiophile music servers (and their $$) frustrate me.

The compute specs are absolutely overkill for the function. Gotta justify the cost somehow, I guess. Kudos to you, Rodney, but this is within the stratosphere of diminishing returns for most people. The chassis is sexy.

I have dual xeons, 128gb of ram, and running Roon server as a VM in my Nas, physically located out in the server room (In a detached garage).Then a small raspberry pi with a linear ps and digital coax out to my preamp. This is well within my audible threshold and most of it was free. I'm admittedly a budget audiophile though. My latest overhaul of speakers and equipment is only in the $2200 range, and that's quickly approaching my threshold of what I'd want to spend for this hobby. 

• Like 3

I hate shitting on other people's purchases, but with ~20 years in IT, these audiophile music servers (and their $$) frustrate me.

The compute specs are absolutely overkill for the function. Gotta justify the cost somehow, I guess. Kudos to you, Rodney, but this is within the stratosphere of diminishing returns for most people. The chassis is sexy.

I have dual xeons, 128gb of ram, and running Roon server as a VM in my Nas, physically located out in the server room (In a detached garage).Then a small raspberry pi with a linear ps and digital coax out to my preamp. This is well within my audible threshold and most of it was free. I'm admittedly a budget audiophile though. My latest overhaul of speakers and equipment is only in the $2200 range, and that's quickly approaching my threshold of what I'd want to spend for this hobby. 

Have ever had a chance to hear a server like this or even a W20SE let’s say on a higher end system ?

I have a friend that builds and tests audio servers and he also stated the sound from the EXTREME can not be topped . He also purchased one . This server has excellent feedback .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Couldn't have said it any better......

Nice gear.....

George

18 minutes ago, A1UC said:

Have ever had a chance to hear a server like this or even a W20SE let’s say on a higher end system ?

I have a friend that builds and tests audio servers and he also stated the sound from the EXTREME can not be topped . He also purchased one . This server has excellent feedback .

I have not, but I know pc and server equipment and I don't see how that's suddenly the magic bullet for digital playback, vs a well designed and implemented dac circuit.

Lot of barbs thrown for someone spending 💰💰💰on gear. He obviously has no trouble putting dinner on the table so who cares, this type of gear is nothing new for A1. More power to him. I paid approx twice this for a new Mustang GT. His server has better build quality then Ford — 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richieb said:

Lot of barbs thrown for someone spending 💰💰💰on gear. He obviously has no trouble putting dinner on the table so who cares, this type of gear is nothing new for A1. More power to him. I paid approx twice this for a new Mustang GT. His server has better build quality then Ford — 

You are correct.....More power to him...

I have always been amazed at gear A1UC has purchased.....It's gear that I can only dream to have.

Please A1UC.....no offense......

George

4 hours ago, richieb said:

It's less a barb at Rodney and moreseo at the purveyors of such equipment. I'm no longer surprised by the ear candy he posts for (eventual) sale. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion . These higher end servers are more than just tossing some parts in a case . People buy the Aurender W20 that retails at 22k and this server is a giant step above it .

On 3/30/2018 at 8:07 PM, WillyBob said:

I got the child thrill of  ----

OK , Sunday, when the granddaughter was here, I was showing her some flower buds. Telling her that when she cam Friday they would be open. We had an impromptu visit Wednesday. They were just starting to split into individual flower buds.

5abecfbd3d9f0_DSCF0263(2).thumb.JPG.08a6d9c3544ccd8d4918d2516ea74c2d.JPG

as soon as she got here. She ran to see.

"PaBill, PaBill my pink flowers are in the sun room!!!"

made my day

My best man at my wedding is a Microbiologist and owns his own Lab. He also grows 100,000 Day Lillie's.

22196397_711386705728690_274148314759450

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1