What I Got Today!

Brac

Last week I got a second sub, but it took me a few days to find time to hook it up.  It's a second Paradigm Seismic 110, to match the first one, which is just inboard of the Left main speaker.  The second sub is behind me, near the rear wall, about five feet from my head when the sofa is reclined.  Since it's a bit to the side, it can "look" through the gap between the sofa and the armchair, and the two subs can "see" each other.

I know that the Main speakers should have no objects ahead of a line from the front of one speaker to the other, like no TV or TV stand or the like between the fronts of the Left and Right speakers.  It's supposed to be better if the two Main speakers can "see" each other, so I wonder if the same rule or guideline applies to subwoofers?  Maybe they can share their grip on the air in the room and pull and push it together.  "Ready?  One, Two, Three, Go!"

The first sub is sitting on a little table, with each foot of the sub on a one-inch-thick square of neoprene, like really thick wet suit material.  It’s aimed directly at the listening location, so I’m hearing it on-axis.  The height of the table, about 18 inches, reduces the chance of floor bounce, so that's good, plus the table and the neoprene pads help to ensure that the sub shakes the air in the room, not the floor and my neighbour's ceiling, and both things seem to be achieved.  The second sub is sitting on an upholstered barstool, with a back and a swivel base, so it's easy to aim the sub wherever seems best.  It's about 27 inches up, so it's not firing into the back of the sofa.  When the sofa's fully reclined, the sub can "see" over it.  No floor bounce there, either.

The first sub was bought three-and-a-half months ago, and after I'd had it for a while, I noticed a severe bass peak in front of the listening spot of the sofa.  Since I hadn't noticed this with the older sub that I had before (bought in 2005, same brand, same size, but less powerful amplifier and higher low bass limit), I wondered if the new Net radio station I enjoyed was using a lot of bass EQ, or the main speakers were too close to the front wall.  I downloaded a little app called Advanced Spectrum Analyzer PRO onto my phone, because it seemed to have the best name among the few free audio spectrum apps I checked.

This app showed me that we really do live in the midrange, since there's not all that much energy above 10 KHz.  It also showed me that the difference in bass volume between the area in front of the armchair and the area in front of the sofa was about 20 dB, so my ears weren't fooling me.  Adding the second sub reduced the bass peak to near nothing, which was good.  As well, when listening at low volume late at night, the detail of the bass lines in the music was all there, and not lost, or at least blurred, as it had been before.  It made for really pleasant low-volume listening.

So that's two things I bought last week:  a Paradigm Seismic 110 sub, and the Advanced Spectrum Analyzer PRO Android phone app.  No idea if it works for iPhones.  I recommend both of them.

• Like 1

Picked this up today, sounds better than I thought it would, on it's own, with no amp.

Oh.....and picked up a pair of Palladium P17b from Scrappy a while back. I can't believe how good they sound, especially with the matching sub. Very impressive for a bookshelf speaker. It's a shame they will go to surround duty 😀

image0-3.jpeg

• Like 6

This just landed in my garage,

Something tells me a will have less time in front of the HiFi, at least while the weather is still good.

IMG_2114.thumb.jpg.b4d1b3a4851ec9590e6a6f01b8502a50.jpg

I have not ridden in a few years and this is a huge difference from my last motorbike, which was a Kawi, ZX10R.

I thought it might remind me of the RC51 that came before the ZX10, but also different than I remember that... 1 Litre Duck Eater!

• Like 7

^^^^^
Very nice. Test rode one right after they came out, she’s a beast. Owned an RC51, also a beast, but this is much more civilized, matter of fact the RC was one of the most uncivilized bike I’ve owned. It’s amazing what KTM has accomplished in MotoGP - .

She’s a beauty — 

4 hours ago, HPower said:

This just landed in my garage

- I rode  the R model  for 1 week  ,   it ate  through  1 set of rear  tires  in a week  -,  -kinda reminded me , of a Ducati  but with more torque -

On 8/27/2020 at 1:02 PM, KROCK said:

CCF08272020_00000.thumb.jpg.0535541c7c3691d700ee6d6360a97bce.jpgHearing test.

When I saw that graph, my first thought was, do hearing aids have EQ?  Do they boost everything uniformly, or do they boost the low part of the patient's hearing so he or she has something approximating the hearing of a young person?  Are they voiced individually for each patient?  Considering what hearing aids cost, you'd think that custom EQ would be included.

Some hearing aids have bad feedback issues.  My Mom's do that sometimes.  They'll whistle and buzz until she turns them down.  Do you guys have any possible tips to cut down on feedback issues?  Thanks in advance.

6 hours ago, HPower said:

This just landed in my garage,

Something tells me a will have less time in front of the HiFi, at least while the weather is still good.

IMG_2114.thumb.jpg.b4d1b3a4851ec9590e6a6f01b8502a50.jpg

I have not ridden in a few years and this is a huge difference from my last motorbike, which was a Kawi, ZX10R.

I thought it might remind me of the RC51 that came before the ZX10, but also different than I remember that... 1 Litre Duck Eater!

Awesome....congrats....can I ride it?

6 hours ago, richieb said:

^^^^^
Very nice. Test rode one right after they came out, she’s a beast. Owned an RC51, also a beast, but this is much more civilized, matter of fact the RC was one of the most uncivilized bike I’ve owned. It’s amazing what KTM has accomplished in MotoGP - .

She’s a beauty — 

That's the lure of the 51, fat, slow, edgy, feels like she will spit you off if you're not a good rider! But when the revs pick up, the gear driven cams whining, the correct exhaust (Sato) howling, holy shit is she fun to ride. It was awesome to see KTM win a few weeks ago. People are talking about the new for 2021 KTM "super engine".

4 hours ago, Islander said:

Do you guys have any possible tips to cut down on feedback issues?

This biggest cause of this is simply the hearing aids are not pushed all the way in the ear. My son says to his grandfather "Papa, push your hearing aids in, they are killing me!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

comfortable

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

Awesome....congrats....can I ride it?

That's the lure of the 51, fat, slow, edgy, feels like she will spit you off if you're not a good rider! But when the revs pick up, the gear driven cams whining, the correct exhaust (Sato) howling, holy shit is she fun to ride. It was awesome to see KTM win a few weeks ago. People are talking about the new for 2021 KTM "super engine".

Of the 7 or 8 sport bikes that I have owned, the RC51 was probably my favorite.

They were"ok" stock off the showroom floor, but did require a bit of easy work to bring out the big smiles when riding.

And yes a statement was certainly made, after I added the Sato high mounts!!! 😎

I am planing to add the Top Case with back rest to the GT with the hopes that it will be comfortable enough for the wife to come out for some rides.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Islander said:

When I saw that graph, my first thought was, do hearing aids have EQ?  Do they boost everything uniformly, or do they boost the low part of the patient's hearing so he or she has something approximating the hearing of a young person?  Are they voiced individually for each patient?  Considering what hearing aids cost, you'd think that custom EQ would be included.

Some hearing aids have bad feedback issues.  My Mom's do that sometimes.  They'll whistle and buzz until she turns them down.  Do you guys have any possible tips to cut down on feedback issues?  Thanks in advance.

From what I'm told is ; there is a app to control from you cell phone. I haven't looked into it yet.

14 hours ago, KROCK said:

From what I'm told is ; there is a app to control from you cell phone. I haven't looked into it yet.

Unfortunately, the cell phone is a bit of tech that she’s not at all comfortable with.  I’ll just follow the previous suggestion of telling Mom to make sure the hearing aids are all the way in.  Thanks for the info, though.

You have your choice of Transformer coupled output or direct output on the Rear and a single USB input, inside has a lot of IRON this damn thing weighs in at 25 pounds and is a standard size component.  If I had to make a complaint its that I HATE the need to muck around with Drivers when using windows PC for your input. I gotta tell you in this case it was worth it. The DAC retains that Non Over Sampling analog(ish) sig while improving on the Bass and the Highs it just sounds WAY more Refined with separation that sounds natural not overdone

Eric Clapton Unplugged on Singh (track 1) you can hear the difference in the 2 guitars clearly, Could hear it before but they were more together than apart, Not Now

I can not believe how this DAC has stayed basically under the Radar, I never heard of it till about 18 months ago when I bought my Altman the seller / dealer took a jab at me said If I wanted better he could set me up and that he had moved from an Altman to his current Audial S MKII. He stated in harsh tones he would NOT sell his MKII...............He kinda pissed me off I hate that upsell crap especially after buying something. Curiosity got the better of me though and I searched them out read a couple good reviews but nothing that made me want to spring for the latest version at 2100.00. Found this early version at under 1K and thought what the hell

Sure am happy I did

4.PNG

3.PNG

• Like 2