What I Got Today!

Brac

11 hours ago, HPower said:

I don't have my Jub-Likes anymore, now I have my Peavey FH-1 / K-402 / K-691 combo... not quite Jubs, but very close.

A couple weeks ago I had a friend over to listen, who brought a buddy of his for a listen.

The friend of the friend was very sceptical when he heard my speakers were partly Peavey.

He pooh poohed as being crappy old pro bass bins, it was very fun to watch him change his tune after the first minute of music.

I think a lot of non believers think pro gear like the Klipsch Jubilee cannot be a HiFi system.

But hearing is believing, as our friend USNRET is about to find out!

As a guy who heard Jubes 13 years ago and former owner of "Jube-like clones" with K-402 and TADs...........Trey Cannon told me that Jube bass bins have more in common with a LaScala AND in our case the SUPERIOR bass bin called a PEAVEY FH-1 (which I have called a "cheap Scala" because they could be had that way). I had 5 of those for HT about 14 years ago, and had a pair of SP-1's (passive 2-ways with FH-1 bottom). All you need is 2, 3 or 4 good horn subs to take care of the heavy bass below 90 Hz. and you can get performance similar to the Jube bass bin with without all the PEQ's.. Besides only two 90 degree turns in the folds makes life simpler for those midbass/midrange waves. But remember it's the K-402's making over half of the MUSIC!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AndreG. said:

Have seen @USNRETs picture above. Never realized it before, but those are seriously huge speakers. I couldn´t think of any room to fit them, physically or audio-wise. My congrats, sound must be awesome!

Seriously huge compare to what? I think MWM bass bins are seriously huge, or DaveA's "Super MWMs" (my design, his build) are seriously huge. The Jubilee fits the exact footprint of a Khorn with way more versatility of aim. Most women think anything bigger than a Bose Sugar Cube speaker is seriously huge. It's all about your perspective, your wallet, and your tolerance for bad sound when you go too small..................seriously.

• Like 1

I saw the specs for the three-way jubs some time ago and those were as tall as i am, so i meant that huge. That said, i know my RF3s are quite small and my Heresys even smaler. I hope i get the chance to hear Jubilees at some point ( wich could be difficult in Germany).

24 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

It's all about your perspective, your wallet, and your tolerance for bad sound when you go too small.

That´s a given, i´m not sure how the saying goes in english, but it should be something like:" There is no replacement for displacement." Legends tend to come in big packaging, right?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AndreG. said:

That´s a given, i´m not sure how the saying goes in english, but it should be something like:" There is no replacement for displacement." Legends tend to come in big packaging, right?

Years ago, right after attending a big audiophile show in Chicago, my friend and I coined the following phrase: "You can't get big sound from small speakers."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dtel said:

All true

Some see our MWM/402's and say "oh you must like it loud".

Loud and sounding huge are two completely different things.

Then there is the decisive factor: the room acoustics. Each loudspeaker only sounds as good as the room acoustics allow it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators

Very true, it can make a big difference, we are lucky with big sofas, rugs, curtains and other things the room seems to be pretty good.

The other thing is besides just crappy speakers is the recording, great ones are great not so great ones can be pretty good sometimes but bad ones are unfixable no matter what speakers are used or how the room is.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2020 at 12:39 PM, dtel said:

Very true, it can make a big difference, we are lucky with big sofas, rugs, curtains and other things the room seems to be pretty good.

The other thing is besides just crappy speakers is the recording, great ones are great not so great ones can be pretty good sometimes but bad ones are unfixable no matter what speakers are used or how the room is.

I recommended Klipsch once to a friend and he wasn't interested saying that "Klipsch are not high quality speakers."  I just said Okay and walked away. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I recommended Klipsch once to a friend and he wasn't interested saying that "Klipsch are not high quality speakers."  I just said Okay and walked away. 

Sometimes it just isn't worth the effort.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 7:00 PM, BigStewMan said:

Still in the box, but someone sent me a silver, aluminum Christmas tree.  They knew that I loved those things as a kid. Aluminum Christmas tree and the spinning color wheel -- that's my childhood. 

My how Californian:)

• Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 5:22 PM, SWL said:

Got a second Vidar. Running them as mono-blocks 400 wpc into 8 ohms powering KLF-30's.6ae48242552782727ca264e69340155a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

WOW --------Look at all the Shiit gear , that's a lot of shiit  you have there

• Like 3