What I Got Today!

Brac

37 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

Bought an older popup camper today.  Nothing fancy but it's in really nice shape and will be much better than the tent camping that my wife always wants to do!

Screenshot_20210404-222745_Gallery.jpg

Vintage campers are a real thing... I love them.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Bought an older popup camper today. 

Nice, had one very similar to that many years ago, easy to pull. I loved when the weather was right to sleep with all the sides down just leaving the screens, like sleeping outside but without the dampness and bugs.

One thing I did that worked great. I popped it up and used some Thompsons water seal in a pump up bug sprayer and coated/soaked all of the canvas. If you do this plan to leave it popped up for a week or two to dry well and air out. It really worked great, water would just bead up and roll off, probably extended the life also. If I had one again I would do it again it worked so well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

194 empty blu-ray cases. Various brands. All are singles or doubles. When you have a private collection of 2000 movies these things come in real handy. I got them all for less than the price of the cardboard box they are in. I turned down the option to make it an even 1000 empties. When ordering replacements from somewhere like www.casetopia.com shipping can get pricey. 

194 Empty blu-ray cases for $2-4032x2268.jpg

• Like 3

Picked up a Denon DRA-397 integrated amp for $50 today.  Mint condition, both remotes and user manual.  Has a subwoofer pre out which is nice.

My plan is to use it to listen to music outside so I don't have to disconnect everything from my surround receiver when I want to do that.  I might also use it in a separate 2 channel system if I find speakers for one.

Lots of positive reviews from what I've read online.  Pretty solid unit at 21 pounds as well. 

https://www.denon.com/en-us/product/av-receivers/dra-397

• Like 5

I hope I don't step on any Blu-ray case collector toes. 😀 As I'm a fan of consolidation,  getting the discs out of their store bought cases and into a disc binder.  My entire collection, about 100, all reside happily in this one case,  sitting by the couch for easy perusal and reach.   The cases stored in a box, garaged and will probably get tossed one day.  The John Wick collection.

unnamed.jpg

• Like 2

IMG_20210410_152959.thumb.jpg.16602e0684d0ea0e48ce1fb8db1e1da6.jpg

This stuff came in today. I noticed that my AVR gets quite warm and we´re still in cool spring here in Germany. So i want to be ready for warmer summmer days and will put these two fans on my Marantz, i just have to figure out where best to place the heat-sensor. Does anyone know how to remove what look like seperate grills on top of the newer Marantz machines?

Ed.: Forget the question. I just noticed that these "covers" are just sheets of slotted plastic, underneath is the metal casing as ususal. What purpose could these sheets serve? – No idea...

hitzeschutz-marantz-sr5008_379004.jpg.6fb3f9d7dc5228215039e4820f63e8eb.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/8/2021 at 12:45 PM, Thaddeus Smith said:

A little bit of "treat yo self."

Current production Audeze LCD-2 in rosewood. I've got a benchmark dac2 dx coming Monday to drive them and eventually serve as a preamp in the new house stereo system.

The Benchmark DAC2 arrived today and it seems to have really solid synergy with the headphones. It'll also serve great as a preamp in the next house when I consolidate my systems. As much as I wanted to keep everything in the digital domain through to the final DAC conversion in my Yamaha XO, the software volume slider was fiddly and getting to be annoying. So this adds a really solid volume control + remote, a quality DAC with XLR outputs for the Yamaha, and can serve as a small preamp for multiple digital sources should I ever want/need that.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

And then this big fella. Not audio related, but still exciting. Pneumatic post pounder that I'll be using to erect fencing around our new house plot. I can do up to 2 7/8 OD pipe with this, bolt on tpost adapters, etc. Runs off a modest compressor.

544B9B4A-BACD-4728-800F-C01EBB2E95DC.thumb.jpeg.07fd035079f10aea153717a9fafe451c.jpeg

That should save you from rotator cuff surgery.

JJK

5 hours ago, JJkizak said:

That should save you from rotator cuff surgery.

JJK

Absolutely! And my back. It's work that needs to be done, that I can do, but I don't have a tractor or bobcat to use the standard pto-type post pounders. I've done a couple by hand and it wipes me out for the weekend (10ft pipe, 5ft in the ground). So this will be a huge boost.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Absolutely! And my back. It's work that needs to be done, that I can do, but I don't have a tractor or bobcat to use the standard pto-type post pounders. I've done a couple by hand and it wipes me out for the weekend (10ft pipe, 5ft in the ground). So this will be a huge boost.

Also would work well for ground rods, they are a pain to put in with a sledge hammer. I didn't have one of those recently so I borrowed a large hammer drill from a son in law for the

workshop ground rod to get electricity hooked up. The hammer drill had a setting to not spin like when drilling in cement, still took 10 minutes to drive in but not an hour manually. I'm old

• Like 2

On 4/5/2021 at 5:30 PM, 314carpenter said:

194 empty blu-ray cases. Various brands. All are singles or doubles. When you have a private collection of 2000 movies these things come in real handy. I got them all for less than the price of the cardboard box they are in. I turned down the option to make it an even 1000 empties. When ordering replacements from somewhere like www.casetopia.com shipping can get pricey. 

Edit: I went back and there were 6 boxes still there. So I purchased an additional 1000 empty cases. I am very happy to say that my entire movie collection contains zero eco cases now. I saved a few spares for later too. Of course a bunch hit the recycle bin. 700 empty eco cases are now on their to the thrift shop. Who the hell decided to put holes in these things?