What I Got Today!

Brac

5 minutes ago, babadono said:

download XConsole to control it by lap top or computer

Already running on my laptop. Yes; haha, still cannot figure out how to check/enter anything via the front panel - except did load network parameters :) 

OK; waiting on my "new" amp - a Yamaha M45. At 125wpc it should drive my JBL 2446 speakers :) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Emile said:

cannot figure out how to check/enter anything via the front panel

it is NOT impossible but it will waste your time and cause you to pull your hair out.

So it looks as if the only legacy "old" product you can still get is the XP-4080.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Emile said:

Bought a "new in box" Xilica XP-2040

3 hours ago, Emile said:

OK; waiting on my "new" amp - a Yamaha M45

Wait!  What???  You're spending money?  Now tell me you had stock in Pfizer!  lol  Gonna sound nice my friend!  :)

• Haha 4

59 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

What???  You're spending money?  Now tell me you had stock in Pfizer! 

Hi @Dave1291 Haha, NO ... got out of the market a couple of weeks ago, waiting for the BIG correction :) 

Well, hooked up the Xilica - NOTHING :(  Removed the Xilica - NOTHING :(  OK; going to start on the wine early today and troubleshoot tomorrow :) 

CHEERS, Emile

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Hi @Dave1291 Haha, NO ... got out of the market a couple of weeks ago, waiting for the BIG correction :) 

Well, hooked up the Xilica - NOTHING :(  Removed the Xilica - NOTHING :(  OK; going to start on the wine early today and troubleshoot tomorrow :) 

CHEERS, Emile

It won't make sound all by itself:) But wine is generally a good idea anyway🍷

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Bubo said:

Mineral spirits works great for removing the glue from the labels.

Nice finds, had scored a couple of great collections there.

try bestine... it's what it was designed for.

s-l400.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Emile said:

Image 01 - Vintage Yamaha M-45 Natural Sound Stereo Power Amplifier 250W

Yamaha M-45 (125wpc at 8ohms) on the way to me. Bought it to replace a Chinese mini class D amp :( to drive my JBL 2446 CD's.

Love my Yamahas, top shelf Amps compared to any

If it  hasn't been recapped, I would put in on the to do list

Nichicon FG are excellent, everyone has their favorite, for the power supply use the high temp products

Around here $300 seems to be the going rate.

If running it in Class A, get a USB quiet fan to put on top, blowing down not up and nothing around the unit to inhibit air flow.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Schu said:

try bestine... it's what it was designed for.

s-l400.jpg

Thanks! I have religiously removed every single sticker, tag, anti-theft, etc. thing from my 2000+ movie collection, but have pretty much just been using dumbass fingernail busting techniques. I still receive 50-100 new films every month, so I am definitely going to give Bestine a try now.

• Like 1

I daydreamed about recreating my second* audio system - the one I put together after selling my first one since when I was in school, if I couldn't eat it, it tended to be sold. My "proposed" rules were the pieces should be as mint possible after 35 years, with original boxes and manuals, and working. This was fueled when I found my first CD player, a Mission PCM 7000 for $200. Then, I stumbled across the second piece, a CJ PV2Ar preamp. Cleaned all the connections and fired it up this afternoon.

Sounds great, a bit bright with some flabby bass, but if I find my speakers, Magnepan SMGs, they worked well with the preamp's "character." The worst part is, I found a rebuilt pair on SMGs... and the power amp,  a CJ MV-75. I actually still have the interconnects & speaker cables from that system.

Somebody stop me!

*Why not the first? It was all Phase Linear - 4000 pre, 5000 tuner and 700B amp through Bozak speakers. I worked at an audio store at the time and had unfettered access to a service department to keep them running and I feel confident if they weren't reliable in 1978, they sure ain't be reliable in 2021!

CJ PV2Ar - 1.jpeg