What I Got Today!

Brac

I bought an SVS SB1000 Pro subwoofer. 

I'm using the subwoofer with my La Scalas and driving them from a Yamaha R-N803 receiver. Currently I crossover to the subwoofer at 100Hz.

Previously I'd been using a Klipch Synergy subwoofer that I got at Best Buy years ago. The sound from that was quite muddy and unimpressive. The SVS is in a whole different league: the sound is tight and crisp. 

I'm planning to build a Bill Fitzmaurice-designed THTLP but supply chain problems will delay that until the new year. But I'm so pleased with the SVS that the THTLP will have to be really fantastic to replace the SVS SB1000 Pro.

44 minutes ago, Dave MacKay said:

I'm using the subwoofer with my La Scalas and driving them from a Yamaha R-N803 receiver. Currently I crossover to the subwoofer at 100Hz.

Previously I'd been using a Klipch Synergy subwoofer that I got at Best Buy years ago. The sound from that was quite muddy and unimpressive. The SVS is in a whole different league: the sound is tight and crisp. 

I'm planning to build a Bill Fitzmaurice-designed THTLP but supply chain problems will delay that until the new year. But I'm so pleased with the SVS that the THTLP will have to be really fantastic to replace the SVS SB1000 Pro.

100HZ seems a bit high but what do I know (my first sub)?  I have the SVS PC-2000 Pro crossed at 50HZ.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dave MacKay said:

25 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

100HZ seems a bit high but what do I know (my first sub)?  I have the SVS PC-2000 Pro crossed at 50HZ.

Depends on the room and crossover slope.

That SVS is a toy compared to the THT. 

• Like 1

Remember, depending on the slope of your low pass xover, the sub will play up almost another octave. I am crossing my 15" HSU subs at 30 Hz with my LS IIs, subs located in the corners behind the speakers. This is a perfect match in my room and system. 100 Hz would wreak havoc with what the LS does so well on it's own. At least that's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

• Like 2

In theory, 30 hz crossover from La scalas would be the speakers running in full range with a notable gap between LA scala bottom range and the subwoofer.   I cross my subs at 40 hz with my jbls.  Any higher, I get an additive, summed effect on the bass that is too prominent in certain frequencies.  I'm sure you are aware, but it would seem your wreaking havoc comment may have to do with phase cancelations? Those sealed subs you have I would think would have a smooth handoff to and from the speakers when positioned and dialed in properly? 100 hz might cause issues with boominees and location perhaps.  Lot of room between 30 hz and there though.... Just my thoughts. 

• Like 1

My room has always supported low bass extremely well with any speaker. Even so, I was surprised to hear how much bass the LS II has in here. I haven’t measured, but I’d say they are getting into the mid 40s with ease. Normally I would agree that 30 Hz is too low, but it works in my room.

6 minutes ago, Joecoulson said:

SVS SB16 Ultra is anything but a toy. Most any of their products are fantastic value. Shame there are folks who are ignorant. 

Anything that is under a 21" Horn loaded sub on this forum is a toy if you didn't know... Unfortunately, I only have 18" Vented toys. 

• Haha 1