What I Got Today!

Brac

To me, today’s “open concept” family room - kitchen - dining room is an acoustic nightmare. I enjoy music in the background, but given the acoustics, I knew I could not have ultimate fidelity in this area. So I started looking for a [relatively] inexpensive integrated for the family room. After perusing the usual suspects, I came across this forlorn Separo SE-300I integrated with lots of tubes and a flashy gold front end. Since I never heard of it, I did my research and discovered its had a interesting back story but only about two reviews in its short life. One was unfavorable and the other gushed. After reading the specs, my hunch was it would be closer to the gush. What sold me was it weighs 65 pounds! Its all transformers!

So for the munificent sum of $649 including shipping from the west coast (!), the family room now sports 10 watts of class A power. With the no name tubes, it sounds terrific. Depth, soundstage, midrange; its quite lovely. Even the 300Bs glow blue. I had to reinforce the table it rests on because it weights every bit of 65 pounds. Now that I know it works very well, I’ll roll the good stuff in. Even a blind pig…

Separo - 1.jpeg

Separo - 3.jpeg

• Like 6

On 5/5/2022 at 3:52 PM, michaelwjones said:

To me, today’s “open concept” family room - kitchen - dining room is an acoustic nightmare. I enjoy music in the background, but given the acoustics, I knew I could not have ultimate fidelity in this area. So I started looking for a [relatively] inexpensive integrated for the family room. After perusing the usual suspects, I came across this forlorn Separo SE-300I integrated with lots of tubes and a flashy gold front end. Since I never heard of it, I did my research and discovered its had a interesting back story but only about two reviews in its short life. One was unfavorable and the other gushed. After reading the specs, my hunch was it would be closer to the gush. What sold me was it weighs 65 pounds! Its all transformers!

So for the munificent sum of $649 including shipping from the west coast (!), the family room now sports 10 watts of class A power. With the no name tubes, it sounds terrific. Depth, soundstage, midrange; its quite lovely. Even the 300Bs glow blue. I had to reinforce the table it rests on because it weights every bit of 65 pounds. Now that I know it works very well, I’ll roll the good stuff in. Even a blind pig…

Separo - 1.jpeg

Separo - 3.jpeg

Congrats on the amp. I agree with you about open concept rooms. They are the absolute worst for audio. Some will argue with you about that,  but only because they haven’t heard their system in a good room before.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Rut roh!  ^^^^^^^^^ Can't wait to see this one unfold!  :)

Pretty ingenuous how modular it is. I was skeptical looking on line, but once I went to the store I was hooked. Any tinkerer, DIY-er or shade tree mechanic would appreciate them, I think. Still waiting on two sets of the covers to show up. Due in Friday. I ordered it on May 6th and got it May 10th and 11th. Crazy fast. Most couches I've bought took 6 weeks to 6 months. They said welcome to the "cult" when we purchased...for now I can see why, very impressed. Time will tell in the long run. Already thinking of replacing the 4 dedicated HT recliners in the theater with a "sac". We went in looking for outdoor furniture and ended up replacing our couch in main living room.

• Thanks 1

@rplaceAfter watching the video I'm thinking a kid is gonna be one rich dude in a couple years.  Pretty amazing look but get back to me on how they "feel" when you're wallowing in them.  lol  I've got a beautiful leather Bradington-Young couch I wallow in and not changing in my llifetime.  That concept though is pretty stinking amazing imo.  Enjoy!  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Schu said:

Modular couch assembly?

Yes. Dozens of fabrics. Soft or firm options. Limitless configurations. Huge storage under cushions. Coffee/Cocktail (no cable) holder options. Integrated "table" for ottoman. Very livable vibe. Probably not for the formal or highbrow crowd. 

3 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

After watching the video I'm thinking a kid is gonna be one rich dude in a couple years

I was shocked to find out they have been around 20 years.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Schu said:

shall I just start throwing out names like cvn-65, cvn-78, cvn-64.

Hint, no N in letters before your numbers. I'm somewhere below deck but above the water line when that picture was taken.

8 minutes ago, Schu said:

I see Tomcats... so it's older, right?

Correct.

• Like 1