What I Got Today!

Brac

• Moderators

Got my Blu-Ray discs from jhoak (Tron: Legacy and Planet Earth series).

I was wondering who got Planet Earth, they are very nice, I was just looking for it on line the other day, I'd like to get one I love the way they are filmed. [Y]

i have planet earth on blu-ray!! bought it when it came out for an outrageous price ( i think like 120$ ). it looks fantastic on blu-ray but whoevers voice it is always puts me to sleep. no matter what time of the day i watch it i have never made it through a whole episode.

• Moderators

That's why i didn't buy it when it came out, the price, and your right about the voice so I looked it up to see who it was.

"It is narrated by David Attenborough in the BBC version, and Sigourney Weaver in the Discovery Channel version"

Got my Blu-Ray discs from jhoak (Tron: Legacy and Planet Earth series).

I was wondering who got Planet Earth, they are very nice, I was just looking for it on line the other day, I'd like to get one I love the way they are filmed. Yes

I have the HD DVD version but no longer have the XBox HD drive in use (sitting in the box).

• Moderators

My Pioneer universal player died a while back so I just replaced it with blu ray, i only had collected a very few SACD and DVD-A disc anyway and the DVD-A plays in a normal DVD player. I'm just going to skip the out of the normal formats from now on, it never seems to last, at least i didn't get a betamax or laserdisc player.

Saw the deluxe release of "To Kill a Mockingbird" a couple of weeks ago at my parish retreat. Just a laptop playing the DVD to a low end projector, but the quality was stunning. The set also had a BR edition and I would LOVE to see it in 1080P. One may rave about the virtues of analog audio all you want, but hi res digitized film in 1080P with all that nasty judder removed is better than the original ever could be!

I want to see all the film noir and great silver screen classics in 1080P... Then, of course, there will be 4k!!!!!!!!

Dave

at least i didn't get a betamax or laserdisc

Heck, I still have a working version of each. Bought the Beta in 1985 and used it for TV recording until I got my first PVR. Need to finish transferring a few things and donate to a museum... FAR better than VHS ever was. As to the LaserDisc, it's a top of the line Pioneer I bought along with about 30 excellent movies for 50.00 at an estate sale a few years ago, First class 5 disc carousel CD player also.

My wife has picked up a few more LaserDiscs, including a deluxe box set of the Star Wars first three, for around 5 bucks each. Good stuff...

Dave

Saw the deluxe release of "To Kill a Mockingbird" a couple of weeks ago at my parish retreat. Just a laptop playing the DVD to a low end projector, but the quality was stunning. The set also had a BR edition and I would LOVE to see it in 1080P. One may rave about the virtues of analog audio all you want, but hi res digitized film in 1080P with all that nasty judder removed is better than the original ever could be!

I want to see all the film noir and great silver screen classics in 1080P... Then, of course, there will be 4k!!!!!!!!

Dave

I have Casablanca on HDDVD (maybe Bluray, I forget) and the PQ is outstanding. It's like watching it for the first time...............again.

Two very good condition Peavey CH-1 horns (now I have four) 28.5 " W x 14.24" H x 18" D Biradial horns one inch throat. Can't wait for the drivers to arrive. Got a pair of 1979 Peavey SP-1's in great condition the other day kinda big but very cool. You can see where this is going. Best regards Moray James.

It's like watching it for the first time...............again.

IMHO, it's better. I saw "TKAMB" at the theater, and that theater was the Saenger/Paramount/Perot in Texarkana. In my day, it was the Paramount and many bare bulbs had replaced the proper ornamentals in the chandeliers and fixture, but still a real movie palace that even in it's final years did it right. even had one of those cup coke vending machines that often worked as shown in the original PBS Siskel and Ebert show. Further, I am a romantic nostalgic type with really VIVID memories of half a century ago and what I am saying is that the image I saw was in all but dynamic range and brightness equal to or superior (certainly in rock steadiness and incredible sharpness due to no judder) to the original, an event that I recall in great detail as I had an epiphany about life from seeing it.

BTW, note on the now Perot. My son, brother, and I visited the basement of the Perot a couple of weeks back to see the original Perot theater organ stored there. I had fears of termite infested wood pipes and dripping pipes, and was delighted to find a dry, stone lined area fine as King Tut's tomb. The thing could lay there for another century without much more deterioration.

I tried to get something going to raise the 350k required to restore this to where it belongs upstairs a few years back but couldn't really follow through given my location and other responsibilities. Still can't, but feeling again the urge to joust that windmill. This thing is awesome and would be a complete thrill to hear and perhaps even record.

Dave

518guit%2Bc1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Does that attach to a cordless drill?

I am looking for an attachment to clean grout lines in a tiled floor. This might work!

It does indeed attach to a cordless drill. However, I can't speculate how well this might work for grout lines though.

The pads are meant to be applied to a working surface face-down, not on edge, and the abrasive might be a bit too coarse for tiles. Dunno? For quickly cutting through rust on steel though, they work exceptionally well, if not too well if the operator gets a little carried away. [:$]

In the course of cleaning cars to get them ready to sell my ancient shop-vac died a horrible death. It was ugly. I'm talking sparks and smoke and a noise that I don't wish to hear again.

I quickly determined that my Hoover "household" vacuum wasn't up to the task. Off to the local Home Depot to see how cheaply I could get a decent shop-vac for.

They had these on sale

Posted Image

It's a beast and puts my old 2.5 HP unit to shame. It has a cool feature that the motor detaches and it can be used as a leaf blower. I need to be careful with it though. I'm pretty sure that it'll suck the paint off of the car.

I'm pretty impressed. Especially at 50 bux.

• CECAA850 changed the title to What I Got Today!