What I Got Today!

Brac

Did it again...I am telling you my wife thinks I am crazy. I just finished a pair of Forte II's in oiled oak. Saw these on CL....made the call...The guy says ' I've had a lot of calls on these" ( Sure).

He told me he was having a garage sale on Friday and there was a local guy going to pick these up. So I said ...I can't take Friday off...going to have to let these go. Right as I was leaving work I figured I'd text him to see if he still has them. Asked if I could come and have a look that night...he told me Saturday at 10:00 am. So as I am getting a cup of coffee at the local Thorten's...he texts me and says he is running late can we make it 11:00 am... I think WFT could be f..ked . So I kind of make my way over there to check out the place....(dump). I realize a lot of people don't have fancy houses...but come on get a lawnmower. I come back at 11:00 see a pickup in the driveway and the front door open. The place was packed (newspapers clothes and refrigerators....lots of refrigerators.... he said it would take a little while to dig them out. They were over there in the corner of the dining room.... I am thinking holy f..k....well anyway we finally get to them....yes I helped dig them out....the passives are trashes/risers need to be re veneered...so I hit him with a little more than half of what he wanted. He of course says NO . I counter with $175.00 and say I'm done and start to find a way out..... settled for $185.00. They are rough but still do able.... All I wanted to do when I got them home ....Take a shower

Sorry about the long story....Here they are.

G.E.M.

post-36197-0-82200000-1465740918_thumb.j

post-36197-0-14440000-1465740932_thumb.j

Edited by oldred
  • Like 1

Yea .

Got to pull all the drivers right away. It takes about 4 weeks to get the passives back from Simply Speakers. While those are out I can order what is needed from  Bob Crites.. then can start sanding and repairing any veneer. Got a couple of other projects lined up for summer...2 pair of Chorus II's...one black pair that the guy wants clear oak and a pair I have that are are clear oak that I am redoing.

G.E.M.

Edited by oldred
  • Like 1

Not sure what was more enjoyable, the fact that you got a great deal on a fair set of speakers or the house of horrors and all the descriptive walk through details. Enjoyable read that made me smile. I have been to a couple of Ebay sellers homes and cringed as I approached. Luckily they met me outside. I still felt I needed a shower!

Keep us updated on your refurbish!

Tim

Yea .

Got to pull all the drivers right away. It takes about 4 weeks to get the passives back from Simply Speakers. While those are out I can order what is needed from  Bob Crites.. then can start sanding and repairing any veneer. Got a couple of other projects lined up for summer...2 pair of Chorus II's...one black pair that the guy wants clear oak and a pair I have that are are clear oak that I am redoing.

G.E.M.

That's awesome!

Between You and Matt (the La Scala Man) you're keeping the sound alive by refurbishing these speakers.

New router bits! I was working on my LS refurb, and the bearing on the flush cut bit I was using just fell apart... :o  No injury or great damage done, and it was something on the back of the cab the I can fix with bondo. Besides replacing the flush cut bit I got some roundover bits. At least the project can continue. ;)

Bruce

• Like 2

Here they are in place.

879a01438dcc94f1d548b6634d7c8e2e.jpg

Bad lighting on the one the right. The one on the left was the painted one. I used a fiberglass safe paint remover on it. It worked, however the scotch pad must have been to abrasive. Then it also left has haze. I tried using some buffing wax and shine it up. It is what it is.

For now i have to hang the front off a bit or the weight of the driver will pull it off the back side. I plan on building frames for them to act as stands and to wrap them with speaker grill fabric.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 4

• CECAA850 changed the title to What I Got Today!