What I Got Today!

Brac

13 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Help me understand the 56v rating and what that means for sourcing appropriate power options: 600 watts (56V)

I'm not quite sure how they got the voltage number.  Watts equals volts times amps.  One speaker says 400w 42v and the other says 600w 56v.  Doesn't make sense to me.

36 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

13 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Help me understand the 56v rating and what that means for sourcing appropriate power options: 600 watts (56V)

I'm not quite sure how they got the voltage number.  Watts equals volts times amps.  One speaker says 400w 42v and the other says 600w 56v.  Doesn't make sense to me.

Not sure if I understand the question. A lot of speakers are now claiming the sensitivity in volts, rather than watts. IDK where the 600w 56v comes from, it's not at 8ohm. 

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

@Chief bonehead, can you give us some insight into the 56v power rating and what that means when choosing amplification? I did some googling for 56v audio systems and there's nothing out there for information.

I believe that the 56 volt rating is for the benefit of those that "speak" in AC voltage. Essentially, 1 watt into an 8 ohm speaker load would equal approximately 2.83 volts.  There is some rounding going on with the marketing specs; however, 600 watts into the 5.1 ohm load (minimum ohm rating in your spec sheet) would equal approximately 55.3 volts.  56 volts into the 5.1 ohm speaker load would equal approximately 614.9 watts.  

• Like 5

For Christmas my wife bought me a pair of Klipsch Reference R6 headphones. I am looking forward to trying them out this weekend. they will be replacing my 20 year old Panasonic cans that were shorting out in one ear and the headband had started to disintegrate leaving black plastic dandruff when I used them. The black duct tape was the last straw.......

• Like 5

• CECAA850 changed the title to What I Got Today!