What I Got Today!

Brac

3 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

2285B, SX-1250

love the marantz 2252b  that was my first experience listening to hifi...

mated to marantz hd 880's... My friend still has that set up..he got

when he was 13 years old.... And now hordes vintage marantz, pioneer ,

and sansui gear...

nice score I hope you enjoy it !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Wow.  All the rest of that just doesn't seem to mix with ELP, but I bet the people were happy.

Back in the late 60s – early 70s you got to see all sorts of different types of music on the same bill. I once saw the Bonzo Dog Band open for The Who, another time I saw Mary Wells ("My Guy") open for Yes and yet another time a band led by Johnny Barbata (former drummer with The Turtles) opened for Buddy Rich. (Barbata even played a drum solo during his set — exceedingly brave of him considering who was following him on stage.)

And festivals were a real free-for-all in billing. Once in Palm Springs I saw Canned Heat, Buddy Miles, Savoy Brown and The Ike and Tina Turner Review all on the same night. (Savoy Brown kicked *** over everyone else that night, although Ike and Tina gave them a run for their money.) The previous night featured Lee Michaels, The Paul Butterfield Blues Band and Procol Harum (when Robin Trower was still with them).

The first time I saw Hendrix the opening bands were Eire Apparent, Soft Machine and Vanilla Fudge. The next time the openers were a new outfit called CTA (Chicago Transit Authority, later simply Chicago).

As the saying goes, I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hsosdrummer said:

Back in the late 60s – early 70s you got to see all sorts of different types of music on the same bill. I once saw the Bonzo Dog Band open for The Who, another time I saw Mary Wells ("My Guy") open for Yes and yet another time a band led by Johnny Barbata (former drummer with The Turtles) opened for Buddy Rich. (Barbata even played a drum solo during his set — exceedingly brave of him considering who was following him on stage.)

And festivals were a real free-for-all in billing. Once in Palm Springs I saw Canned Heat, Buddy Miles, Savoy Brown and The Ike and Tina Turner Review all on the same night. (Savoy Brown kicked *** over everyone else that night, although Ike and Tina gave them a run for their money.) The previous night featured Lee Michaels, The Paul Butterfield Blues Band and Procol Harum (when Robin Trower was still with them).

The first time I saw Hendrix the opening bands were Eire Apparent, Soft Machine and Vanilla Fudge. The next time the openers were a new outfit called CTA (Chicago Transit Authority, later simply Chicago).

As the saying goes, I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands...

your old ! I'm glad you experienced  it. when music was fun to listen to..

and had a altered mind set....

• Like 1

Just now, dirtmudd said:

your old ! I'm glad you experienced  it. when music was fun to listen to..

and have a altered mind set....

Well, my mind set could definitely be considered altered, but it didn't get that way from chemicals. (That's why I can still remember all those concerts.)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Wow.  All the rest of that just doesn't seem to mix with ELP, but I bet the people were happy.

Forgot to comment on this yesterday.

You are absolutely right, they did seem to be out of place with the rest of the lineup, but nonetheless, they seemed to have a great time, as did the audience.  During one of their songs, Keith Emerson and his massive piano setup were literally lifted off the stage, and were then twirled head over heels while continuously playing the tune.  Craziest thing I ever saw....well, until I got to the Philippines some years later.  Can't comment on that.

• CECAA850 changed the title to What I Got Today!