What I Got Today!

Brac

46 minutes ago, A1UC said:

I told him about the tape , here was his reply lol

Sounds like you got the wrong plumber then. I should just sit there and be a keyboard Warrior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Hopefully he was joking or I'd have to agree with him.

I'll ask both of you. I've noticed a few tile guys spacing the tile in this same manner. As a mason, we call that 1/3 bond....the following joint is 1/3 of the way across the length of the tile. Why not place the following joint in the middle, similar to a half bond or running bond, like brick or subway tile? You just have to cut pieces in half for the course following a whole piece. It throws my sense of proportion off :D plus it might not be as strong.

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

It's not structural rather a facade so strength isn't an issue.

If the floor was laid in the same pattern it could be an issue. The joints on one end are much closer to each other than the other end. 

I saw a new tile floor recently installed in that same fashion, I thought it looked odd. I asked the installer and he said that's how his boss told him to lay it. There was quite a bit of unnecessary waste from making that 2/3 cut instead of a half. I am just curious.

11 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I'll ask both of you. I've noticed a few tile guys spacing the tile in this same manner. As a mason, we call that 1/3 bond....the following joint is 1/3 of the way across the length of the tile. Why not place the following joint in the middle, similar to a half bond or running bond, like brick or subway tile? You just have to cut pieces in half for the course following a whole piece. It throws my sense of proportion off :D plus it might not be as strong.

Does this make your sense of proportion happy?

20160221_093402.jpg

1 minute ago, Ceptorman said:

If the floor was laid in the same pattern it could be an issue. The joints on one end are much closer to each other than the other end. 

I don't see how it would be an issue just as there's no issue laying tIle on the diagonal.   You are correct on the waste issue.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

That tonearm is filled with some kind of fancy fluid to kill vibrations.  I've never had anything this nice.  I can't believe that this is considered entry level by a lot of enthusiasts, it's the second cheapest one that they make.  $2,500 is more than multiple vehicles that I have owned!  Just crazy.  

It is crazy, it's shocking how much many go for, carbon fiber, many exotic materials. Well everyone knows how much stress and vibration a perfectly smooth spinning (of course) overly heavy platter can cause to require such high strength materials, this not even considering the extreme weight of the vinyl.  :o

Just kidding but it has become quite crazy, it makes it hard to spend the money after all the magic rocks and cable lifters, not even considering cables.  :(:ph34r:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I don't see how it would be an issue just as there's no issue laying tIle on the diagonal.   You are correct on the waste issue.

Anything installed with a continuous joint has a weak spot. The next course that starts with a half breaks up that weak spot. A 24" long tile with a joint 8" away could be weaker than the other end that has that same joint 16" away. 

Anything installed with a continuous joint has a weak spot. The next course that starts with a half breaks up that weak spot. A 24" long tile with a joint 8" away could be weaker than the other end that has that same joint 16" away. 

You have to be thinking in terms of brick and structural strength which I agree with.  I don't see it as an issue with tile.

It does look good.

Thanks.  I ripped out the tub, built the shower and cut every piece of tile you see in that picture as well as every tile in the bathroom and all the plumbing and electrical.  It took me months of working on it nights and weekends.  I paid someone to do the granite and the glass though.  I also paid someone to build the cabinets.

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

Thanks.  I ripped out the tub, built the shower and cut every piece of tile you see in that picture as well as every tile in the bathroom and all the plumbing and electrical.  It took me months of working on it nights and weekends.  I paid someone to do the granite and the glass though.  I also paid someone to build the cabinets.

You probably saved yourself a nice pile of cash doing all that yourself.

I like doing tile, you can get creative if you like.

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Tell your plumber to remove the excess teflon tape on the shower head.

Any reason you didn't tile to the ceiling?  I like that look.

Or get some black tape:) Are those fixtures really black or rubbed bronze?

Tile to the ceiling?, heck tile the ceiling too.:D

48 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Isn't labor normally half the cost of a job?

Usually labor is much higher when a job requires a higher skill. I'm sure that tile labor would've been much higher than the materials, probably the whole bathroom was that way.