What I Got Today!

Brac

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:
4 hours ago, babadono said:

In un balanced interconnects the most important factor is the resistance of the shield

Resistance of the shield is most important?  I had never heard that before.  But there is far more I don't know than what I do know.

Yes Sir, the most important. In un balanced equipment the shield is carrying the signal ground current and the inter chassis ground currents. If the resistance is not extremely low the inter chassis ground currents will be a noise voltage that is added to the signal at the sending device and the receiving device is going to amplify it because it cannot discern between signal and noise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, babadono said:

If the resistance is not extremely low the inter chassis ground currents will be a noise voltage that is added to the signal at the sending device and the receiving device is going to amplify it because it cannot discern between signal and noise.

That you for the added explanation. that meets with my common sense.  I was wondering, and when I tried to figure it out I couldn't.

+++

Given what you explained about amplifying additional noise, could this explain sub hum in some cases?  I know @Youthman did some recent testing of subs and encountered some hum and I wondered at the time if the cables could have been the culprit.

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I know @Youthman did some recent testing of subs and encountered some hum and I wondered at the time if the cables could have been the culprit.

Mine was with the Parasound A52+ amp.  The first thing I tried was swapping cables.  Even swapped two different sets of cables with same results.  It's likely a bad ground in my home.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Youthman said:

Mine was with the Parasound A52+ amp.  The first thing I tried was swapping cables.  Even swapped two different sets of cables with same results.  It's likely a bad ground in my home.

Not a bad ground but a ground loop.  Are all of your HT components on the same circuit/plug?

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

That you for the added explanation. that meets with my common sense.  I was wondering, and when I tried to figure it out I couldn't.

+++

Given what you explained about amplifying additional noise, could this explain sub hum in some cases?  I know @Youthman did some recent testing of subs and encountered some hum and I wondered at the time if the cables could have been the culprit.

Check your cable box, it has always contaminated my system. 

44 minutes ago, KROCK said:

There is obviously something open. I have Parasound amps on steroids & made sure the grounds were well taken care of. Still that God forsaking cable box contaminates my whole system. 

--- something I've considered and always wanted to do although my rig is as quiet as a mouse is to install a dedicated 20 amp line from circuit breaker to outlet. A possible solution --?

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, richieb said:

something I've considered and always wanted to do although my rig is as quiet as a mouse is to install a dedicated 20 amp line from circuit breaker to outlet. A possible solution --?

That's what we did.  I have several outlets up front that are connected to the 20amp circuit.

I went  as far in a 60 amp sub panel connected at the terminal lugs before any of the breakers  w/cryogent treated romex & still have a low frequency hum. My amps are on their own 15amp breakers & all my other components are on a 20 amp. I just try to ignore it. Just don't get to close to my av speakers (B&W)s. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Youthman said:

Yeah, I know zero about ground loops.  I've always had them in my home, even before wakejunkie installed the dedicated circuit.

I've read about them over the last few years, heard people complain about them.  Some fix the hum by using cheater plugs, some use Cleanbox Pro, but I've never understood the the root problem.

Maybe because of my computer background but I've always wondered if a dedicated ground to each circuit would do the job.  Dedicated as in driving a metal grounding rod into the physical earth and wiring the audio outlet directly into that one ground rod.  That used to be identified by an orange plate on the outlet. 

You electrical guys will know more about what I'm talking about than I do.

1 hour ago, KROCK said:

Check your cable box, it has always contaminated my system. 

I wonder if my idea would work for you.  Run a dedicated ground pipe and wire it directly to your cable box.  That should isolate your ground problems.