What I Got Today!

Brac

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, Derrick said:

Cut down some trees today. All in all about 900 linear feet of trees. Never felt so old in my life.....

That will do it, depending on age or lack of exercise that is enough to kick some butt. Now the rest of the cutting/stacking and splitting is a few more butt whippings.

But nice firewood

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

New living room bling. Thanks to Hpower. Nice workmanship

Congrats, I was getting ready to make the drive up to Toronto when I was informed they were spoken for. You saved me some gas. Curious, as I've crossed the border many times, did you just tell them you bought the speakers and they looked them over and charged customs appropriately? If not what was the process.

7 hours ago, DizRotus said:

They look spectacular.  What kind of beer do you want?

Canadian, obviously :emotion-22:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rplace said:

Congrats, I was getting ready to make the drive up to Toronto when I was informed they were spoken for. You saved me some gas. Curious, as I've crossed the border many times, did you just tell them you bought the speakers and they looked them over and charged customs appropriately? If not what was the process.

Canadian, obviously :emotion-22:

Probably French Canadian, Unibroue.

2EA9CE06-1BE5-431E-B5C8-D6C11094B9DC.jpeg

10 hours ago, DizRotus said:

They look spectacular.  What kind of beer do you want?

Yes, they do look even better live, in 3D, and cranking out some serious MILLIWATTS of music to a good beer buzz. I'm thinking you got the right idea. I'll be unloading them from the trailer today. They will probably end up with the two TI '55 class D amps that you introduced me to. Now I have 3 different drivers for the K-402's, so there will still be a bit of R&D involved.  Also, I'll have to figure out if I need subs or not, since the small living room has a ton of cabin gain and Roy's 32 Hz. PEQ may be all it needs in the Jube bass section.

10 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Yes, they do look even better live, in 3D, and cranking out some serious MILLIWATTS of music to a good beer buzz. I'm thinking you got the right idea. I'll be unloading them from the trailer today. They will probably end up with the two TI '55 class D amps that you introduced me to. Now I have 3 different drivers for the K-402's, so there will still be a bit of R&D involved.  Also, I'll have to figure out if I need subs or not, since the small living room has a ton of cabin gain and Roy's 32 Hz. PEQ may be all it needs in the Jube bass section.

Claude, somehow I thought that you had moved on to an all Danley setup a while ago?

12 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I look forward to seeing and hearing them.

2 hours ago, rplace said:

The price was totally fair, so I didn't haggle that. I own a 5x8 trailer, which cuts my fuel economy in half, AND,  gas in Ontario is about 50% more than Michigan. I had to pay a small premium to a local small business at a travel agency that specializes in currency conversion for travelers. So, bottom line was about $300 USA for meals, fuel, and currency conversion. US Duty Fees are not easy to figure out, but I checked with the personnel at the US customs before I crossed the bridge. I didn't need to fill out a form. They said all I needed was a receipt for used, home made stuff. Hpower and I made sure the receipt had a vague description of the goods using the words "home made and plastic." for a maximum duty free amount. The officer insisted on inspection in the trailer and was asking some friendly questions about how old they were, hobbies, woofer size, etc. to my friend and I.........a couple of old geezers that we are. He may have been a budding audiophile, who knows, so we went through without a problem. Sunny clear skies on a perfect highway that bypassed Toronto traffic. Great trip. LOL.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

Claude, somehow I thought that you had moved on to an all Danley setup a while ago?

I did, and still do,  but that was HT that served double duty for stereo in my studio apartment/loft. Now that setup  will be down the basement with a new 4K projector on a 120" screen this year, in the "new" 1944 brick house. The Jubes are for my living room 2 Channel setup, now that I have a living room instead of a second story "cave,"  I wanted some pretty speakers for a change. I have TWO of the Yamaha CX-A500's with the amazing ESS Sabre DAC chips and YPAO room correction, so now I will have one for 2 channel, and one for 7.4 HT (or 6.4 depending on whether I use Heresy's ot TD-1's for surrounds).  I have some work to do in the room before I decide to upgrade to Atmos 7.4.4..  That will require building my own on/in ceiling speakers (I have too many drivers not to).

5 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

The price was totally fair, so I didn't haggle that. I own a 5x8 trailer, which cuts my fuel economy in half, AND,  gas in Ontario is about 50% more than Michigan. I had to pay a small premium to a local small business at a travel agency that specializes in currency conversion for travelers. So, bottom line was about $300 USA for meals, fuel, and currency conversion. US Duty Fees are not easy to figure out, but I checked with the personnel at the US customs before I crossed the bridge. I didn't need to fill out a form. They said all I needed was a receipt for used, home made stuff. Hpower and I made sure the receipt had a vague description of the goods using the words "home made and plastic." for a maximum duty free amount. The officer insisted on inspection in the trailer and was asking some friendly questions about how old they were, hobbies, woofer size, etc. to my friend and I.........a couple of old geezers that we are. He may have been a budding audiophile, who knows, so we went through without a problem. Sunny clear skies on a perfect highway that bypassed Toronto traffic. Great trip. LOL.

Thanks for the info. I was not very clear in previous post, but it was the officials at the border I was curious about. Not exchange rate and dealings with seller. I've crossed several times with minimal cost items and bought a couple of expensive watches via post/UPS. I was curious how a big pile of wood and electronics would be evaluated. While I am no lawyer I've heard several ramblings from forum members on beer, bicycle, pinball and watch places all claiming to know how things work. I've heard that if it was a US product exported then re-imported....say a Bally Pinball Machine, originally made in Chicago and brought back to the U.S. There is no customs/duty to pay. I've also read/heard that if you are brining a Swiss watch from Canada to the U.S. you are on the hook for original value i.e. New or the used value. Never anything concrete on which it was. I've also heard it is just a roll of the dice and how much they feel like fussing on that particular day and that location. Seem like good fodder for discussing on forums where people are traveling and want to spout what they think but not what they know.

Again, congrats. Enjoy in good health, they are beauties!