The Klipsch Audio Community
Brac

What I Got Today!

Actually yesterday, but I bought a used Husqvarna mower for the rental duplex my sons rent from me.  It seemed like a good deal offered by my son’s friend who helped with a lot of work at the duplex, but I was concerned when he informed me he couldn’t get it to start after sitting for two years, since he now uses a lawn service.  I thought I bought a like new lightly used mower, not a project.

The good news is it runs like a champ and is a really good deal.  A splash of fresh gas in the carb demonstrated good spark.  After filling the tank with good gas (diluting the stale gas), it fired right up.  After warming it up, the gas tank was emptied so the warmed oil could be drained and fresh oil installed.

The motor starts easily with a single pull.  Everything works.  I was surprised to see USA Briggs & Stratton power.  I’d expected some exotic Scandinavian lump.

35DF7C09-32F6-460E-B72B-7A5C666A8A6A.jpeg

On 5/5/2018 at 12:25 PM, Schu said:

👍

On 5/5/2018 at 12:53 PM, CECAA850 said:

What's the matter Mike?  Can't French braid?

Congrats.  Your little girl is growing up.

On 5/5/2018 at 1:02 PM, KROCK said:

I said it's only the beginning! She'll look more gorgeous tomorrow. then she usually does...   

IMG_20180506_122817.jpg

IMG_20180506_122214.jpg

IMG_20180506_101015.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/5/2018 at 12:25 PM, Schu said:

👍

On 5/5/2018 at 12:53 PM, CECAA850 said:

What's the matter Mike?  Can't French braid?

Congrats.  Your little girl is growing up.

On 5/5/2018 at 1:02 PM, KROCK said:

I said it's only the beginning! She'll look more gorgeous tomorrow. then she usually does...   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Actually yesterday, but I bought a used Husqvarna mower for the rental duplex my sons rent from me.  It seemed like a good deal offered by my son’s friend who helped with a lot of work at the duplex, but I was concerned when he informed me he couldn’t get it to start after sitting for two years, since he now uses a lawn service.  I thought I bought a like new lightly used mower, not a project.

The good news is it runs like a champ and is a really good deal.  A splash of fresh gas in the carb demonstrated good spark.  After filling the tank with good gas (diluting the stale gas), it fired right up.  After warming it up, the gas tank was emptied so the warmed oil could be drained and fresh oil installed.

The motor starts easily with a single pull.  Everything works.  I was surprised to see USA Briggs & Stratton power.  I’d expected some exotic Scandinavian lump.

35DF7C09-32F6-460E-B72B-7A5C666A8A6A.jpeg

Nice mower. I like to mow my own lawn. Last year I paid someone to mow. I kinda felt left out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The way they photograph those mowers makes me chuckle... the low angle aggressive stance pose is overly reminiscent of a performance automakers subliminal attractiveness.

Wow that is in awesome condition. What a beautiful piece of equipment. And as beautiful as it looks I’m sure it sounds even better. Nice score!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

A real sweetheart....

IMG_7755 (Medium).jpg

IMG_7756 (Medium).jpg

IMG_7754 (Medium).jpg

Nice score...never knew that they came with input adjustments... And even a lamp switch...

Got some Parts Express goodies to update/grade the new TTLS. Replacing the DCS255-4 and a Crown XLS 1500.

Picture1.thumb.jpg.354824cf474dda37a8bf7d546513b17d.jpg

Picture2.thumb.jpg.0993262acd2bedce5112147748e13a15.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Sweet. Nice presentation, did you take the photos?

No, Audio Classics took the photos.

It wasn't today, but a couple of weeks ago, when I finally got a Blu-ray player.  My 2005-vintage Yamaha DVD-S550 DVD player was starting to get glitchy when playing movies, but it still plays CDs just fine.  I'd had my eye on the Oppo 203, but with them going out of production, I decided to go with the Panasonic UB-900, which reviewers put in the same class.

Hooking it up turned out to be more complicated than expected, partly because HDCP 2.2 means that the way digital disc players and cable TV inputs were hooked up in 2016 (all sources to the receiver, then video out to the TV) stopped working in 2017, so now video sources have to go directly to the TV.  Also, HDMI Control now has to be Off instead of On.  If it's on, turning off the TV turns off the receiver, plus some other odd things were happening.

This is why I had no video output for a few days, but the audio from CDs was amazingly better than what the old DVD player puts out.  The Flaming Lips' Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots sounded thin and bass-shy with the 2005 player, but with the 2018 player, it's full-bodied and more clear.  I was amazed!

Once I got video working, that was great, too.  I got the Eagles' Blu-ray Farewell Tour 1, Live From Melbourne, and it looks and sounds great.  The player automatically upscans DVDs, and Sheena Ringo's RingoEXPo08 concert DVD looks and sounds amazing. 

The UB-900 has two HDMI outputs, the usual audio + video output, and an audio-only output, with the idea that the audio-only HDMI output will have less interference and hopefully cleaner sound.  As well, it has a High Clarity Sound mode, and Sound Effects.  This lets you choose between 3 "Re-master" settings for different types of music, plus 6 Digital Tube Sound options, from "a tight, hi-fi sound", to "a soft, enveloping sound", plus 4 more.  I haven't experimented with those yet, since for me, less processing is better processing. 

I'm liking it!

panasonic-dmp-ub900-ultra-hd-4k-blu-ray-player-600.jpg

• Like 2

I've heard nothing but good things about that player, congrats. A good option now that Oppo has left the building.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wstrickland1 said:

20180509_182320_001_resized.jpg

I think I might try that unit... it does everything including conversion?

1 hour ago, Schu said:

I think I might try that unit... it does everything including conversion?

I only played with it for a couple of songs but I went in to audio midi setup, found the dac and set the output to 192/24. I haven't tried optical or dig coax yet but I imagine it's pretty much plug and play. Really nice drive out of the amp, the knobs have a nice feel and it really looks good. It will also function as a preamp and I'm sure it would drive a pair of powered monitors very nicely. I think it makes for a cool desktop system. I want to get a balanced cable for the HE 4xx and try that circuit out.

41 minutes ago, wstrickland1 said:

I want to get a balanced cable for the HE 4xx and try that circuit out.

I recently got a Inuke 3000 w/dsp which has both balanced and un-balanced circuits.  I have been educating myself on how those work technically, but there is a difference between knowledge and understanding, so forgive the next question.

If you use an unbalanced output from the amp, don't you need an unbalanced input to the headphones?

If you go from an unbalanced XLR connector to balanced (like RCA) the XLR needs pins 1 & 3 to be connected, like this Monoprice XLR to RCA cable.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4777

(sorry, the URL from Monoprice would not let me post the picture)