What I Got Today!

Brac

SNIP: "Thanks Wolfbane.......the A0-8 is a thing of beauty.  A real work of art in my eyes."

You're welcome! It's incredibly well made and the amp I enjoy the most here. Easily drives my Belles with either the 45 or 2A3 Power Tubes in (max out is 1.5 or 2 WPC). Even changing the 80 Rectifier tube makes a noticeable, if subtle, change to how the music sounds. Something I rarely have found with a rectifier tube change in any other tube amp.

The Tin-eared woman that runs the place mouth dropped 🎉when I connected it to the Shindo Pre and played Natalie Cole's CD Unforgetable after a few minutes of warm up late last night. She then said "My God, I have to say that sounds great together". Yes, she was sober and so was I. Now she's actually listening to Pink Floyd and not telling me to 'turn it down!'.

The only other time she made a similar comment was after I broke in a match pair of Psvane Treasure KT88's and ran them in my Opera 211 Pre-Amp in combination with a matched pair of 90 year old RCA VT-4B's. That was 5 years ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

SNIP: "Thanks Wolfbane.......the A0-8 is a thing of beauty.  A real work of art in my eyes."

You're welcome! It's incredibly well made and the amp I enjoy the most here. Easily drives my Belles with either the 45 or 2A3 Power Tubes in (max out is 1.5 or 2 WPC). Even changing the 80 Rectifier tube makes a noticeable, if subtle, change to how the music sounds. Something I rarely have found with a rectifier tube change in any other tube amp.

The Tin-eared woman that runs the place mouth dropped 🎉when I connected it to the Shindo Pre and played Natalie Cole's CD Unforgetable after a few minutes of warm up late last night. She then said "My God, I have to say that sounds great together". Yes, she was sober and so was I. Now she's actually listening to Pink Floyd and not telling me to 'turn it down!'.

The only other time she made a similar comment was after I broke in a match pair of Psvane Treasure KT88's and ran them in my Opera 211 Pre-Amp in combination with a matched pair of 90 year old RCA VT-4B's. That was 5 years ago.

Good stuff Wolfbane.  I remember lusting after the A-08 first time I saw it.  Ended up getting QS Audio Horn Monos used for a third the price.

• Like 1

SNIP: "Good stuff Wolfbane.  I remember lusting after the A-08 first time I saw it.  Ended up getting QS Audio Horn Monos used for a third the price."

Great price! You should be able to tube roll with a good selection of EL-34's for that amp which I bet sounds good with Klipsch speakers? You may want to stock up on the 7247's which are AKA 12DW7's.

Wb

On 11/30/2018 at 8:40 AM, CECAA850 said:

Certainly not glamorous but I got more supplies for my garage rebuild.  250 ft of romex came in the other day also.

20181130_065001.jpg

It's what I've been using for years & very satisfied ! Also the 12/4 for my surround speakers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Schu said:

With the new pre, how are you implementing the leben?

I'll either move it to another listening room or take it out of service for a little while. I'd like to try the Shindo Labs Pre with my Cyber 211 SET mono amps for a few days at some point. They've been out of rotation for several months and the Leben occupies the shelf where the 211's and their dedicated pre-amp normally reside.

Wb

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

I'll either move it to another listening room or take it out of service for a little while. I'd like to try the Shindo Labs Pre with my Cyber 211 SET mono amps for a few days at some point. They've been out of rotation for several months and the Leben occupies the shelf where the 211's and their dedicated pre-amp normally reside.

Wb

👍

2 minutes ago, Schu said:

Do you collect any sideshow figures?

These are my first two pieces. Had never even seen any face to face until this morning, when I opened them up. They are much more impressive in person, that’s for sure! 

Looks like I found another hole to throw my money into..

4 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

The preamps are very very similar otherwise with minimal meaningful changes.   CLled parasound and discussed both ideas.  Was advised to go the route that I did.   

Makes a lot of sense. I can see DAC technology changing enough that one would want it as a stand alone piece in the source chain.

I can see DAC technology changing enough that one would want it as a stand alone piece in the source chain.

Exactly.   I like the freedom of choosing.   Reason why I went with passive subs also even though there are much more plentiful amounts of active subs everywhere you look.