Towers or bookshelfs for 10 x 12 bedroom

If it were me, I would forgo the sub for now and get the RP-280F's.  There's been a few members here, some KHorn owners, that have been really impressed them.  You can always add a sub later.  I have RB 81's, not an apples to apples comparison to the RP-160M, in my small HT setup in a slightly larger room and have always felt that they lacked the 'presence' of a good floorstander.

3 hours ago, adam2434 said:

For mostly movies in a 10x12 room, I would go with the RP-160m and the SVS (or Hsu) sub.  This will provide more placement flexibility and bass impact for movies.  

I would go this route just for placement flexibility, specially if you are mostly watching movies.

My listening room is not much bigger, but I am having a lot of trouble tweaking the setup to eliminate boundary effects and standing waves with my RF-82 ii (approx. same size as the RP-280 f).  The larger towers need to be placed "just right" in a smaller room, and the room itself may need significant "sound treatment" in order to sound right.  That said, you are less likely to notice some room effects with just movies...so go with what you like best or can afford.  And, in a small room, I concur that you wouldn't need a sub with the 280s.

I would go this route just for placement flexibility, specially if you are mostly watching movies.

My listening room is not much bigger, but I am having a lot of trouble tweaking the setup to eliminate boundary effects and standing waves with my RF-82 ii (approx. same size as the RP-280 f).  The larger towers need to be placed "just right" in a smaller room, and the room itself may need significant "sound treatment" in order to sound right.  That said, you are less likely to notice some room effects with just movies...so go with what you like best or can afford.  And, in a small room, I concur that you wouldn't need a sub with the 280s.

4e6fa111858115d2da0eb75bbe030b15.jpgd9d1d923dbf5db81a6d18d60a6bc2f0a.jpgefafeda8bb5c2dad5f6c35f1a18826ef.jpg55ff55c35de7851b0311608c26e19ebf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

@tylerstoddard368  Thanks for the pics.  I posted pics of my master bedroom setup as well and some forum members helped me out.  Anyway, in looking at your pics I would definitely get out the tape measure and see how much space (width) that you have to put a new set of mains considering where your current ones are.  If you think you're going to be in a new place in a year or so, I still feel that I would start with the 280's, if they'll fit, and then you can add a subwoofer later.  This way you're not having to start over because the 160's are too small for the space that you'll theoretically be moving to.

You can always shop ebay, or the like, for a cheap sub for now just to get some more bottom end.  Then, in the new place spend a little more coin and get a nice sub, or two, to go with the 280's.  My thoughts anyway.  Ultimately, it depends on what you want now versus later, what fits the space, and what fits your budget.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

With a room that size I'd lean towards the stand mounts. Down the road when you move they will most likely be fine there as well. Seems a lot of apartments have smaller living rooms than they used to. At some point they could be moved to the back as rears in a surround set up.

I rather surprised at this forum right now.  It's been 3 days, and no one has asked about condition preference.

Tyler, my question to you would be - above all - are you limiting your options too much?  Have you considered finding a generation older speaker?  Have you consider looking used?  Klipsch used and clearance are the biggest bang for your buck that you can probably find.  There are even a good number of members that may have speakers that would sound just as good or better in your space for less money than buying new.  Likewise, Klipsch has been running deals on generation older Reference gear for a bit.  These would be great options to look at before settling on new in box.  Especially coming from a person needing to save up to move out soon.

I live in a room about your size right now myself.  All of the gear (just about - save for the TV, game systems, and computer) I bought used either from forum members, outlets, or CL.  I'll be moving into a house next year of my own.  But slow down, take a step back, and consider all of your options first.

yes but if you are not restricted you should get 2 pb1000s....if too big 2 sb1000s will do great.  you can get real edm and hip hop punch from 2 pb1000s.  klipsch makes a fantastic r115sw but they are very big...too big.  any sub is enough but 2 that can play 20hz w authority will be awesome.

8 hours ago, tylerstoddard368 said:

Well I was looking at the original RF 7s for around the same money . What would you recommend me looking into?

7's aren't a bad idea, but there the issue would be space.  Contrary to what most have said - I suggest bookshelves if space is an issue.  Upgrading space and then the system will not guarantee them as a flaw in the system.  You might keep them as heights, wides, or surround backs.

Look for a pair of RB-5's.  They are highly respectable and are generally found for around $300.  You might then also look for a pair of used or older subs - but that might be the thing to pull the trigger on new if you have no way to test the amp, and aren't buying from a place that has quality control.  If you do subs, I also recommend using a pair - so try and keep this in mind when assembling your setup.  If cost is an issue there, buy the best value for your dollar.  (You may look at an RSW sub as well.)

7 hours ago, The History Kid said:

Look for a pair of RB-5's.  They are highly respectable and are generally found for around $300.

I once had a pair of RB-5's in my 13 x 13 x 10 guest bedroom and believe me, they rocked.  Surprising amount of bass/impact.  Added a subwoofer just to demo and it took the RB-5's to a completely new level.  Same for the RB-35's in the same room.

Bill

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tylerstoddard368 said:

What about rb- 81 ii?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with the 81s, but the 5s will out perform them in my opinion, hands down. The 5s are also cheaper and more compact, making them easier to fit in small spaces. The 5s are monitors that don't know they're monitors. I think the only alternative speaker in the monitor form I'd recommend half as much as them are the 75s.